Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this on skyreport.com.....

HDTV Changes Ahead for DISH Network

Are there changes ahead for DISH Network-delivered HDTV?

During the past few weeks the folks at DBStalk.com have been hearing reports that this could be the case. According to sources, current DISH Network 6000 owners will receive a new upgrade module, which will plug into the second unused expansion bay on the DISH 6000. The new module will use the Broadcom chipset combination of a BCM4500 and a BCM3440 HDTV chip, which will provide EchoStar with more than a 35 percent increase in its HDTV bandwidth.

Currently, DISH can broadcast two HDTV signals on one transponder. With the new Broadcom chip, the company will be able to broadcast three HDTV channels on one transponder with no loss of video quality. It's expected that this module will be provided free of charge to 6000 owners. Owners could begin receiving these hardware upgrades late in the third quarter, DBStalk.com said. However, EchoStar said it's still evaluating shipment of any equipment.

While it's expected that normal HDTV broadcasts will continue until all hardware upgrades have been shipped, at some point the normal HDTV channels will be shut off, DBStalk.com said. Those without the Broadcom upgrade will be left without HDTV from DISH Network.

On the potential HDTV changes, EchoStar spokesman Marc Lumpkin said, "EchoStar is working hard to increase the efficiency of our HD broadcasts to the benefit and enjoyment of our customers." According to the company, this goal can be accomplished by adding the adapter to the DISH Network Model 6000. That may make the current combination Model 5000 with the HD adapter obsolete for receiving HD broadcasts, "but fortunately the number of customers affected is very small," Lumpkin said.

EchoStar offers four channels of high definition today, the most in the country on a nationwide basis, Lumpkin said. "We hope to continue to be the market leader in offering high definition TV. With more capacity gained from the merger of EchoStar and DirecTV, the combined company will be able to broadcast a minimum of 12 HDTV channels."

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
As soon as this happens I will cancel my Dish service.

Having more HDTV channels means nothing to me if I can't record them with my model 5000.

Time shifting is mandatory......

Frank

·
Registered
979 Posts
Is this a good news/bad news story?

The equipment implications are interesting. Is this a committment by Dish to keep the 6000 as a long-term STB? In view of the proposed merger? In view of discussed restrictions on analog output?

Will Dish be adding other capabilities to the 6000 (those which only new hardware can provide)? E.g. more memory, better GUI, closed captioning on HD, etc.

And, oh yeah, how do you really get something for nothing, bandwidth wise? I've personally seen too many HD broadcasts where MPEG2 compression has been noticeable (mostly motion artifacts). Will this new CODEC make the situation better or worse? But since most of us really can't resolve 1080x1920 on our 1st/2nd generation displays anyway.... :)

Gerald C

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder if this Broadcom chipset will be integral to the forthcoming (hopefully) Dish 921 HD-PVR?

·
Registered
33,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NightowlKY
Good news, there! Looks like things are still moving along somewhat. But, I'm going to hold my breath waiting for, say, HDNet or Discovery HD.

Surely not good news for Dish 5000 owners. It seems a pretty callous attitude towards dismissing this group of equipment owners. Gee, where have I heard someone say "the numbers are so small they don't really count"?

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross

Surely not good news for Dish 5000 owners. It seems a pretty callous attitude towards dismissing this group of equipment owners. Gee, where have I heard someone say "the numbers are so small they don't really count"?
Certainly does not sound it could come from the "HDTV Leader."

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross

Well, it certainly isn't good for them and I was almost one myself. But, I chalk that up (maybe too easily for some) to the risks of early adoption. How many Beta VCR owners got lost in the fray? DAT owners? And I'd be willing to bet D-VHS goes that way, too. There will be sacrifices that will have to be made for the "overall" advancement of technology. That's one reason I went with the 6000 because of the slots. I took a bet that DISH would not obsolete the 6000 in the next couple of years. It's also why I've waited to get a DVD burner for my PC.

Sorry for the 5000 owners but I'm glad that there will soon be more HD choices from DISH.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dinkster
I wonder if this Broadcom chipset will be integral to the forthcoming (hopefully) Dish 921 HD-PVR?
It would have to be, otherwise how would it decode the signal?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Don't expect anything to transpire until, or if, the merger goes through. Charlie Ergen said, "no new HDTV until the merger." No merger . . . then who knows what will happen, speculation I can do without.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I find it extremely unlikely that Ergen will just GIVE away this new module! He will most likely attach strings to it like sign a contract for 1 year of AT150 or something to get it free! Ergen is NOT TO BE TRUSTED! Take it from a one of the many Dish Dealers who gets the shaft on a regular basis from EchoStar!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well maybe Charlie is monitoring this board and has seen the mad frenzy of DirecTv users willing to buy a new piece of hardware just to be able to get one new HD channel and now he wants some of the action. But I'm guessing he'll charge at least 10 bucks for his, instead of the 8.08 deal. ;)

Better get ready for all the new thread's about it like:

-Does it go where the OTA module goes, or in the slot next to it?

-Do I have to power down the 6000 when I install it, or not?

-Will I have to realign my dish after I install it?

-Ok, I've installed the kit but I still dont see chanel 9450, how come?

-I just had them turn on the new HD channel and it's very disappointing.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
I find it extremely unlikely that Ergen will just GIVE away this new module! He will most likely attach strings to it like sign a contract for 1 year of AT150 or something to get it free! Ergen is NOT TO BE TRUSTED! Take it from a one of the many Dish Dealers who gets the shaft on a regular basis from EchoStar!
No businesses can be trusted if left the only game in town, competition keeps them from too dishonest than the next guy.

On the other hand, consumers are not to be trusted either. When I asked a car saleman one time after we had done the deal and started to open up, that how did he know if I (or any other buyers) was lying or not, he replied, "when your lips are moving."

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1

-I just had them turn on the new HD channel and it's very disappointing.
You had me until this last topic. I can't imagine EVER seeing such a topic on this message board...

-Tim

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was talking to a Bell expresvu agent about a month ago and she informed that there is plans for a 9000 HDTV receiver.

She was not certain whether it would have a built in recorder or it would permit reording with the new JVC HD VCR.

It was al hush hush but she did expect the new receiver to be on the market by the fall of 2000/Expresvu in the past has stuck their name on dish equipment. Expressvu has run out of bandwith for HDTV and they are lagging behind Rogers Cable in ofering HD prgrammming. Overnight Rogers had taken the lead,in Canada.

So our american neighbours may be seeing a Dish 9000 receiver?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.