AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some more questions now. I want to make sure I get everything I need before I need it.

I have an SBLive 5.1 card and will be getting an Onkyo Receiver for xmass this year, though I don't know what one :rolleyes:

The SBLive, if I remember correctly has a voltage problem that can either cause it to not work, or to hurt the receiver. Is this correct?

But I also remember http://www.hoontech.com/english/index.html selling something that can help. I think it is this.

SB DB III

The world-wide famous extension for the Sound Blaster Live! sound card that provides optical and coaxial S/PDIF digital I/O.

Is that correct?

Now, should I just order that now, or should I get another sound card for the same price. Should I just not bother and see what happens when I get the receiver? (not worried about money)

Once it is hooked up and I want digital out, do i have to run the creative software all the time in the background with digital out selected?

If this is so, will it send out everything in digital format. If I want to listen to MP3s will I have to disable digi out? or will it pass it through the coax.... Same with games.

BTW, I have WinME but might be getting XP Pro for myself sometime this month.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You just set it to digital out and you can close it. It will then send everything via SPDIF, game audio, mp3s, DD, DTS.

Personally I would forget this damn sblive. I've tried every driver and dvd audio filter and it always has dropouts or problems locking onto the 5.1 stream. Piece of garbage card.

Hopefully BestBuy here in Canada carries the Phillips Dynamic Edge. It should only be 45-50 bucks for full retail and it supposedly has flawless SPDIF output.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse S
You just set it to digital out and you can close it. It will then send everything via SPDIF, game audio, mp3s, DD, DTS.

Personally I would forget this damn sblive. I've tried every driver and dvd audio filter and it always has dropouts or problems locking onto the 5.1 stream. Piece of garbage card.

Hopefully BestBuy here in Canada carries the Phillips Dynamic Edge. It should only be 45-50 bucks for full retail and it supposedly has flawless SPDIF output.
I am kinda pissed at this card myself. Not that I have had any problems with it, but how can they sell something they KNOW has issues such as the voltage.

I mean what is the point of selling a card that will or could damage a device it is attached to. Stupid.

Anyway. One other question I have now is about ordering that hoontech thing. They say

Quote:
Note: When ordering SB DB III, you should check which revision of the SB Live! or SB Audigy you are owning. Each Live! card has a model number, like CT4xxx printed on the pcb. For model numbers CT46xx, you need the CA18 connector. For model numbers CT47xx or the newer 5.1 versions of the Live!, CA18-1 is needed instead. Models with numbers CT48xx can use both connectors. Please contact your local dealer / distributor about this issue when ordering the SB DB III to be sure you get the version that works for you! For the SB Audigy you need the CA18-1 connector. Also some local distributors offer the CA18-2 connector that can be used universally with all SB Live! and SB Audigy cards. This is explained more detailed in the the FAQs.
I can not find the numbers "CT4xxx" anywhere. (I know xxx refers to other numbers/leters) Where is it on the PCB?

Also where do I order it from? And where have all of you ordered from? Is it this spot.

http://digitalaudio.co.kr/english/shopping/shopping.htm

It just looks cheap to me. (the page I mean.)

Also, Maybe i should just get the 10$ one since it seems to be all I need, will that one correct the voltage problems? The link to it is here .

What one do most of you have?

Thanks.

·
Registered
697 Posts
HI

i have sb live 5.1 platinum with front face.

i`m connecting sound card both way to amp HK and old fisher , optical and analog--

both working at same time.

it didn`t hurt my amp HK optical input. still working.

if you only have soundcard w\\o front face. it best to get front face to avoid fear of damage amp using spdif,

you could find it on ebay or call creative to get you one . if they still make it.

on other hand there is philips new card out with a lots flavors, check them out ,
http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...d=PCSOUNDCARDS

·
Registered
803 Posts
The issue was only on very initial models of SBlivePLayer series.

I own two (sbLIve Player and 5.1) and i had no issue in two years, the only problem was with the latest creative xp update which introduces some dropouts or problems locking onto the 5.1 stream. Stay away from this patch and stick with the Xp supplied drivers.

bye

·
Registered
121 Posts
The benefit of having the Hoontech adapter for your SBLive 5.1 is that you do not have to muck with the software digital out switch anymore. This switch is only for when you do not have a daughter board, it disables the three 2-channel analog outs and makes the analog center/sub out into a S/PDIF out, albiet one that may be incompatible with cerain receivers IIRC. If you have the DBIII you can use both analog and the S/PDIF outs (coax and optical) on the daughter card, which is nice since you can then get full DD/DTS passthrough on the S/PDIF outs and full analog functionality from the SBLive 5.1. In my experience, if you pass all sound through the S/PDIF out you are limited by your receiver as to what kind of surround sound you get - - I prefer to use the analog outs for MP3s and games since my receiver only uses the surround speakers if it is fed DD or DTS.

I got my DBII from Audience Digital Products ( www.audiencedp.com ). If you go this route, make sure you get the SB Live Bracket III (SB DB III) w/CA18-2. This version has a new connector that can be used with any SBLive 5.1 (maybe even the pre-5.1 version), so you don't have to worry about model numbers anymore.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can not find the numbers "CT4xxx" anywhere. (I know xxx refers to other numbers/letters) Where is it on the PCB?

On mine it was overtly obvious so you probably do not have it or it rubbed off. If I was holding it in my hand with the connectors pointed up and to the left it was screen printed on the upper right corner. Its white lettering on a gold background. And under closer inspection my digital connector is corroded on the inside. This is purely from poor manufacturing process. There is no shellac or sealant or gold plating. The rest of the board is perfect. What a POS. I have been using the Fortissimo with good results except with TT ---- Ebay here I come.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have never been successful getting digital out of a SB Live. I bought one just a few weeks ago, and returned it after numerous tries with different driver/software combos. I would stay away from this card entirely if possible.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
a1-

the CTxxxx should be at the top right corner. Mine says 4830 and that model along with the 4832? are supposedly ok for voltage. There are at least 2 other 4xxx models that are too high. So if you have one of the good ones you don't have to worry about the voltage at least.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It should have the number where yours says SB0060. How old is it?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About a year and a half.

Could it be because it is Canadian... Bought it at staples. But I KNOW other canadians have it...

lol, just realized you are in Canada too..

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Never had a problem with either of them using the SP/DIF out to my Panny SHAC500D.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.