AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll submit more info later, but I wanted to submit some info right away.

11HT

I got there when the doors opened on Wed. Walked in, and there was Sony. I decided to check out the 11HT first thing, but to my utter disappointment they did not bring it to the show. I sought out their resident home theater rep, and he talked a lot about the use of the CIS distribution channel. And being that Infocomm is very Pro AV oriented, they felt it wouldn't be appropriate.

Where you will probably see it is at CEDIA in Sept. They are supposed to start shipping in late July or early August, but it will be a "slow" ramp up.

Shoot-out

I was with Mark/milori as we walked around the Shoot-out area. This was an excellent way to really compare the projectors. I liked the PLV-60 as well, and I saw the graininess he mentioned in the other post. However, I did not perceive it to be screen door. I don't know exactly what was going on with that artifact, but everything else about the projector looked good. (I really want to see it hooked up to the Faroudja NR running at full panel resolution.)

Another projector that really stood out was the new Mitsubishi x80. It performed really well on all the test patterns AND it looked good too. (LCD, 1024x768, $7500 retail, new sRGB color system) It did a great job on yellow, whereas many others were heading toward green.

Thanks to Mark Hunter, Robert Smith, Don Stewart, Shawn Kelly and Adam Hilton - it was great to meet you all.

Paul

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel:
What does Faroudja mean that 1366x768 from their NR "won't work for projectors." Why would a 1366x768 signal at 60 hz be different from one display to the next? Am I missing something here?

Cheers.
It’s a feature you have to pay for the option! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Just kidding I do not know; but everything seem to be that way.

------------------

JP

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I spoke with the Mitsubishi folks for a while about sRGB, and got some great (paper-based) materials.

I had never looked at a Mitsubishi projector before, but I think that they are onto something with their sRGB incorporation.

I have the paper-based material, but don't have the time to re-type it all in. I will try to scan it when I get home and post the test...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes,

he was walking around with us trying it out on various projectors. Very cool. It seems so simple (that's 'cause I don't understand anything about optics) and does a great job. He sat down with us for a while in the Stewart booth and talked about the the project and products etc.

One thing he mentioned is that his internet access has been messed up for a week or so. He was genuinely concerned about getting back to post status. So, he's out there, just having computer problems.

Paul

[This message has been edited by pms67 (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks to you, Pual. The shoot out was fun.

I have to agree about the Mitsubishi X80. The first projector EVER to have an sRGB color space incorporated. Being a programmer-type, I read about sRGB on MSDN. It is a new "fuller" color space that can reproduce images more accurately.

Anyway, whatever it is...it works! The Mitsubishi X80 probably had the best uniformity and coloration of any of the projectors at the show. They also had ads in all of the Infocomm promotional materials touting their sRGB color space.

Keep your eyes open for this sRGB feature on other projectors...it really works!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I called Faroudja and was told that the Native Rate Series DOES NOT display at the native rate of the PLV-60. I wanted one and they can not set it up for 1366*768 for LCD's. The web site claims they do for plasmas but the tech said it wouldn't work for projectors. Also the Class B model is going to be sold at Studio Experience as a clone.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
RicardoD,

This may be more than you wanted to know, but here you go:

RGB - Based Color Spaces

Chip

[This message has been edited by chs4 (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What does Faroudja mean that 1366x768 from their NR "won't work for projectors." Why would a 1366x768 signal at 60 hz be different from one display to the next? Am I missing something here? Any of the display mavens have any idea what they're talking about?

Thanks for the shootout and Infocomm reports. The sRGB thing is quite interesting....

Cheers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just called Faroudja back to try to get some clarification. The tech there in charge is named Jeff. He asked me how I still couldn't understand something so simple. To quote him, " The frigin thing locks you in to an anamorphic panel and there is no way to change the size. It is the same thing for plasmas" I don't know what he was talking about but I gave up because I don't like getting yelled at when I am the customer and I just don't understand.

·
Registered
367 Posts
milori,

Well, X80 maybe the first in the US to have sRGB, but early in 2/2001, I posted a review on a Japanese model Mitsubishi L-2000V, it can adjust 6 colors independently, I think it's the sRGB you are refering to.

See this post: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/004596.html

And yes, as I reported, one can adjust the color to match any CRT display. Very natural, Mitsubishi called it Natural Color Matrix.

Tzung-I

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oops!

Sorry about that. I was trying to write down names so I wouldn't miss anyone. Looks like I wrote it down correctly, it just wasn't your name.

Anyway, great to meet you.

Regards,

Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.