AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is what i crave.

in theory, what's more important...mains or sub?

have you achieved kickdrum nirvana...?

tryin to avoid the "both" answer, but i acknowledge that may be the case...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I use to have some Cerwin Vegas that had 15" woofers that the speakers weighed about 100 pounds each. They would kick you in the chest with kick drums.
So you can do it with mains if they have large woofers.
If you use subs, you would probably want some that will play up to around 200 Hz and cross them really high.
Here is a chart that shows the FR of each instrument.

Reactions: lefthandluke

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I use to have some Cerwin Vegas that had 15" woofers that the speakers weighed about 100 pounds each. They would kick you in the chest with kick drums.
So you can do it with mains if they have large woofers.
If you use subs, you would probably want some that will play up to around 200 Hz and cross them really high.
Here is a chart that shows the FR of each instrument.

I believe you need lots of SPL too for the kick... IINM >110dB.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll never forget being at an OUTDOOR venue to see tom petty, and the drum tech came out and that kick drum just POUNDED...

I always thought I should be able to get that sound and feeling inside my house fer cryin' out loud...

·
Registered
93 Posts
i'll never forget being at an OUTDOOR venue to see tom petty, and the drum tech came out and that kick drum just POUNDED...

I always thought I should be able to get that sound and feeling inside my house fer cryin' out loud...
Unfortunately that somewhat depends on type music you are listening. With hiphip/electronic music you usually shouldn't have problems unless mix/master is really poor. However in rock/metal, especially more brutal versions of it, this is quite an issue. Since bass guitar and kick both strongly cover that frequency range between 60 and 300 Hz and given the massive footprint of electric guitars + rest of the drums, either kick or bass gets lost in the mix, so therefore some producers go for an option to sacrifice kick at those frequencies to make room for bass guitar, and what they do with kick is...they make it more punchy and clicky. Therefore it becomes audible in mix, however looses all the goodies you might enjoy in some electro/hiphip tracks.

Here is an example...skip to 0:30 to get to it right away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts