AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using a fixed-mount goo screen for a few years, but recently moved and had to start using a cheap pull-down Da-Lite (OK, the goo screen was even cheaper ).

I don't know what gain the Da-Lite is...I think it's matt white, but maybe not.

Here's the problem:

I have the projector mounted to the ceiling (just like I used to have), so the lens is basically even with the top of the screen, or somewhat above it...it's not in the perfect location height-wise, but it's close.

What's happening is that if I stand up, I see a much brighter picture than if I am sitting down...it looks like more light is being reflected back UP, toward the projector, than there is DOWN, toward where people are sitting...strange, because if the light was free to do what it would naturally like to do, like a flashlight onto a mirror, the light would reflect DOWN toward the audience.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the solution to this is:

1) Getting a new screen that does not have this strange behavior (perhaps my screen is more than a 1.0 gain and there is something sbout that that makes it reflect light back UP toward the projector?...my screen was probably meant for meetings and such where the projector is down on a table?).

2) Putting the projector down low, like on a coffee table...but I'd rather not do that as logistically that's a mess for me.

Would a different screen of some kind reflect light DOWN toward the eyes of the audience?

Thanks...

·
Banned
98 Posts
I can't comment on your current screen.

They do make screens with the light reflecting characteristics you are asking about. They are called angular reflective screens.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It sounds as if you have a retro-reflective screen, using either the High Power material or an older glass bead material. Such screens work best with the projector mounted near viewer eye level. If you don't want to buy another screen, you can add an extension pole to your ceiling mount to lower the projector, or use a shelf or pedestal mount.

If you want to stick with the high PJ mount, you will need either a unity-gain matte white screen or an angular-reflective gain screen, depending on the size of the screen and the light output of the PJ.

ETA- I see from an old post of yours that you were using an NEC HT1000. If that is still your PJ, you will not be able to do what I suggested in my first paragraph, because that PJ has no vertical lens shift. What is your current make and model PJ? Also what size and aspect ratio screen would you want to replace the one you have now? We will then be able to see if there are any compatibility issues.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I concur with FLBoy. It sounds like you have Hi Power. Generally the only retroreflective material Dalite makes in a manual screen is the HP. Tell me something...is it quite noticeable? I bet it is.

Matte White would not really change when you moved, except for at the super extremes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts