AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added more pictures to my screen test shots.
  • Simulated a ceiling mounted projector and have a couple shots of standing and sitting positions.
  • Gradually increasing the viewing angle
  • LT150 screen door
  • Different Gamma Correction settings viewed through the WinDVD 2.6.4 and ATI 4.1 players

Sorry there aren't more simulated ceiling mount pictures. Since I was standing then sitting I ended up not using a tripod which meant blurred pictures.

All the photos can be seen at http://www.lastrange.com/ht/screen.shtml

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
733 Posts
Tom,

I am getting blanks for your "gamma" shots.

Your shot from Gladiator - the Hipower will give you a much, much brighter and punchier image! The blacks will still be black!

I will email you a couple of shots I have taken with the LT150 + proscan. DVD player + hipower. On an earlier post Randy got some great shots with the LT150!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Smyth:
I am getting blanks for your "gamma" shots.
Weird. I just tried from another machine to make sure I'm not referencing any local files and they look fine. I've also tried with a couple different versions if IE and Netscape and they seem fine. What browser are you using?

------------------

Tom L.
my-soontobe-home-theater

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tom,

I'd like to compare da-lites specs with your most excellent off-axis testing. If you were 16' back from the screen and 6' off axis then the angle = arctan 6'/16' x 180/pi: approx 20 degrees off axis. It is apparent from the shots that all the "light amplification" is lost at that angle which correlates with da-lite marketing stats. It appears that at 3 feet the LA is roughly 95%. arctan 3'/16' x pi/180: approx 10.6 degrees. Not quite as good as da-lite advertises. This assumes you were 16' back.....were you?

Anyway, your efforts are supreme. Your tests help us all to make informed choices which is near impossible at a dealership....if you can find one in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I was about 14 feet back but I'll double check later tonight.

Oh, and I wasn't moving in an arc staying a consistent 14 ft away. I was just moving to the left simulating sliding to the end of a very long couch.

------------------

Tom L.
my-soontobe-home-theater

[This message has been edited by tlastrange (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm probably the only one thinking this, but the picture looks great just projected onto the wall. I even wonder if the Hipower might make the picture look too bright. I think that the problem for me is that you have 90% of the screen looking one way and one tiny portion looking much brighter, giving me the (false?) sense that that portion looks too bright. I think what I need are some reference shots of those same scenes, like from a properly calibrated TV, so that I know exactly how each shot should look. For instance, in the Dreamworks logo, should the text be as bright white as the Hipower makes it look, or is the aqua tint of the other screen materials (and the bare wall) actually more accurate? I guess I could always pop in a Dreamworks title myself and find out http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

The "moving to the left" test is great but depressing. It also leaves me with the impression that the Hipower could suffer from a good deal of hotspotting, but I haven't read many/any complaints about this.

Scott

[This message has been edited by srauly (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Two points:

1)I feel like making a top level post: TOO BRIGHT DOES NOT EXIST. We are nowhere near too bright with current consumer-level projectors.

2)Hotspotting does not occur on the High-Power. This is also because of the retroreflective nature of the material. This also means that color-shift is not an issue, if you are using a CRT projector.

Andy K.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
One more thing, in the thread LT150 Rainbows After Going to Hi-Gain...raise hands... , Yahoo mentioned that he had been using a LT150 with a Matte white screen quite happily for some time. Then he stumbled across the fact that he had the WHITE SEGMENT turned on (against Grant's wishes http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ). When he turned it off he found that the picture was now too dim.

So...How about turning on the WHITE SEGMENT setting and creating some new pictures. I'm curious how the wall, matte, and high contrast screens will look.

Once again, great job!

Scott

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I just read that thread too. I'll take some more photos tonight with the white segment on and off.

BTW, I ordered an 80x60 High Power today...

------------------

Tom L.
my-soontobe-home-theater

·
Registered
733 Posts
What type of screen? Hey, you can trust me, I am a lawyer! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Tom, I am now getting all the shots - thanks!

Seriously though - the Hipower is the one! I have tried several and those who have seen it have been impressed!

Hot spots? Not a problem! Too bright? No way! You've inspired me to send some more photos out via email you disbelievers!

You can click the "white segment" off to disable the clear section of the colour wheel and eliminate "hot whites and crawlies" (or are they the same?). With the Hipower you won't notice any dimming of the image.

What did Tom just order? I wonder why?

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by srauly:
So...How about turning on the WHITE SEGMENT setting and creating some new pictures. I'm curious how the wall, matte, and high contrast screens will look.
I've updated the site with white segment on/off pictures. I didn't see any difference. Is there a chance I screwed something up? Can someone else with an LT150 confirm reduced brightness when unchecking "White Segment"?
http://www.lastrange.com/ht/screen.shtml

------------------

Tom L.
my-soontobe-home-theater

·
Registered
267 Posts
I also thought things looked GREAT on the wall, but the Hipower was clear and away the best presentation. (By the way, thank you for your efforts on an exceptionally well pulled-off comparison). I didn't think it was to bright - just very good color representations without much sacrifice in the blacks (as evidenced in the chin on the Vertical Limit scene). What was really telling was the Dreamworks scene. From memory, "Dreamworks" should appear in white. The only place this happened was on the Hipower. It was blueish everywhere else.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tlastrange:
Can someone else with an LT150 confirm reduced brightness when unchecking "White Segment"?
The dimming effect was not immediately noticeable on a subjective "qualitative" basis, meaning that I didn't feel much different at the time the change was made. But after watching two full-length features with ambient light (like I normally do) and then stumbling on turning off the ambient light, I immediately notice how total darkness gave me similar subjective "brightness" level I've come to enjoy for the past 4 months with the ambient light and the white segment ON.

I know this is hard to explain, but then later I checked the NEC manual it confirmed my suspicion that the white segment does give off increased brightness. However, I must emphasize that I prefer better color depth/accuracy over brightness if it means turning off all the lights. However, I just might have the best of both worlds with the Hi-Power. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

[This message has been edited by Yahoo (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
505 Posts
It has been my understanding and experience (with UP1100/LT100) that the white segment is only utilized at the upper end of the IRE scale. In order to see the effect I would want to make test pictures with a scene that contains pure white and then shades of "near white" colors. With the white segment on the white and near white colors should look more blown out, etc. With the white segment off you should see a smoother transition.

With the UP1100/LT100 the white segment is not utilized and therefore is not a player (i.e. visible difference) until above ~~~~70 - 80 IRE.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.