AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of changes from NBC. If you care about NBC just buy another replay.

Apprentice moves to Thu probably because of American Idol, everything

else moves around to accomodate Trump, Katrina, Ereka, and Omarosa.

Thu 01/29 8:00p- 8:32p NBC Friends

Thu 01/29 8:32p- 9:59p NBC Will&Grace (new time)

Thu 01/29 8:59p- 9:59p NBC The Apprentice (new time/day)

Thu 01/29 9:59p-11:00p NBC ER


Sat 01/31 8:00p- 9:30p NBC Tracy Morgan Show (new time/day)


Tue 02/03 8:00p- 8:30p NBC Whoopi (new time)

Tue 02/03 8:30p- 9:00p NBC Happy Family (new time)

Tue 02/03 9:00p- 9:31p NBC Frasier

Tue 02/03 9:31p- 9:59p NBC Scrubs (new time/day)

Tue 02/03 9:59p-11:00p NBC Law&Order SVU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
why can't they give Scrubs a break and leave it where someone can find it?
Not only that, but if you check the listings on zap2it.com you won't even find it listed. There's a bug in the code and since ER starts early it just wipes Scrubs off the map. At least it is there in the Replay listings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
Lots of changes from NBC. If you care about NBC just buy another replay.
I actually did just that. Now for my question to you experts...


Since NBC still moves things around so much, would it be best to simply schedule the shows I care about using theme based channels (based on name of show) or should I still pick them off the guide and use show based channels. (There may be times when I'll throw other (non NBC) recordings on the box during non-prime-time hours, etc.)


Any opinions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Based on all the swapping around by NBC I too have considered the theme based approach to finding my shows. However, Will and Grace as well as Friends or on several times every day in sindication. Since I only want the episodes from this season that approach would not work for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Scrubs is the only thing we watch on NBC. It's been moved around so much over the last year that we did finally go ahead and make it a theme channel. We get occasional misses still, but it seems to work ok. We stopped monitoring it and just watch it when Scrubs shows up as recorded. "Hey! We got a Scrubs!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I tried setting up Scrubs as a theme last night - but I also have "President George W. Bush" as a theme - and sure enough a "Bush" show started recording something before Scrubs and I missed it :mad:


Oh well poopli here I come...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
My channel guide indicates a repeat Apprentice episode on NBC Wednesday and no episode on Thursday. However I see a new episode on CNBC on Thursday night. Is NBC not broadcasting a new episode on Thursday?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SSFan
My channel guide indicates a repeat Apprentice episode on NBC Wednesday and no episode on Thursday....
oooh, you pressed my hot button--the channel guide sucks. i cannot understand why (a) it's ever wrong and (b) it's ever out of sync with Zap2It (they are both Tribune Media Services, yes?).


anyway, you should check alternate sources. one is Zap2It , but for a different source check TVGuide . both of those guides list a new episode of The Apprentice on Jan 29.


everyone always says how wonderful DVR program guides are, and i would agree... if they were reliable. there are just too many instances of screwups like this and once i realize i cannot always trust the built-in guide and feel compelled to always check alternate sources, what's the huge benefit of a built-in guide?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zeromorph
I tried setting up Scrubs as a theme last night - but I also have "President George W. Bush" as a theme - ...


Yeah.. I know what you mean... I just can't get enough of the guy on TV ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SSFan
My channel guide indicates a repeat Apprentice episode on NBC Wednesday and no episode on Thursday. However I see a new episode on CNBC on Thursday night. Is NBC not broadcasting a new episode on Thursday?
Thu episode of Apprentice is now showing up on my guide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,497 Posts
Hey GreenLantern, relax... Understanding how the guide works is more than half the battle.


Harking back to modem only connect days here's how it handles new data when it connects:


1.) It downloads any "new" days not yet on the Replay's guide

2.) It refreshes the next day's guide.


So, if the schedule changes after you've downloaded that day's data, even if on the day following the download, the schedule change will not be downloaded until the connect the morning of the day in question. If for some reason you fail to connect, you will have obsolete guide data for that night. That part of it sucks, but understand that the protocol was implemented when slow modem connections were the norm and it was imperative to keep the connect time to a minimum. I have heard anecdotal data claiming that the new broadband connect sidesteps this issue, but haven't seen it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
It has been six days since you posted the updated NBC show listing.. but my 'Replay' guide which I just connected and updated is still showing the older times for the following shows...


Tue 02/03 8:00p- 8:30p NBC Whoopi (new time)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Hey GreenLantern, relax... Understanding how the guide works is more than half the battle.


Harking back to modem only connect days here's how it handles new data when it connects:


1.) It downloads any "new" days not yet on the Replay's guide

2.) It refreshes the next day's guide.


So, if the schedule changes after you've downloaded that day's data, even if on the day following the download, the schedule change will not be downloaded until the connect the morning of the day in question. If for some reason you fail to connect, you will have obsolete guide data for that night. That part of it sucks, but understand that the protocol was implemented when slow modem connections were the norm and it was imperative to keep the connect time to a minimum. I have heard anecdotal data claiming that the new broadband connect sidesteps this issue, but haven't seen it myself.
I can attest to replay not always following this rule as you mentioned in

the last sentence, (I'm using 5k, 5.1 OS, ethernet) as I definitely picked

up the Sun 2/1 Survivor: All-Stars change on Thu 1/29 and I already had

2/1 guide data downloaded prior to the net connect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidEC
It has been six days since you posted the updated NBC show listing.. but my 'Replay' guide which I just connected and updated is still showing the older times for the following shows...


Tue 02/03 8:00p- 8:30p NBC Whoopi (new time)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top