AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a HD cam is using MiniDV tapes does that mean there is no compression (vs one that uses SD or CF card or a hard drive)? Or is it must less? As in the case of Canon's HV40 or XH A1S pro HD cams.

Also do all Canon pro HD cams allow you to use existing Canon DSLR lenses?

I'm considering the new Sony NEX-VG10 but I was told it can "only" do 30mbps. Is that not "good enough" for casual shooting? I like the fact that it allows you to use E and A mount Sony/Zeiss lenses. Can it also accept 3rd-party lenses designed for the a-mount by companies like Sigma?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark7pt1 /forum/post/19556195

If a HD cam is using MiniDV tapes does that mean there is no compression (vs one that uses SD or CF card or a hard drive)? Or is it must less? As in the case of Canon's HV40 or XH A1S pro HD cams.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV
Quote:

Also do all Canon pro HD cams allow you to use existing Canon DSLR lenses?

No.
Quote:

I'm considering the new Sony NEX-VG10 but I was told it can "only" do 30mbps.

It cannot.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently you have to buy either the Canon XH or XL line PRO HD cams to get 50 mbps. Others are "just" 25 mbps (same as the new Sony NEX-VG10). But to get a Canon with interchangeable lens ability it has to be the expensive XL line starting at $7500.00 CAD. Making the new Sony sound like a bargain (even if it lacks some "pro" features). Then again it is targeted at the consumer market. I guess I'll be leaning towards the Sony.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark7pt1 /forum/post/19556900

Apparently you have to buy either the Canon XH or XL line PRO HD cams to get 50 mbps.

I gave you the link. Can you read?
Quote:

Others are "just" 25 mbps (same as the new Sony NEX-VG10).

Not 25 Mbit/s, but up to 24 Mbit/s. But it is AVC, not MPEG-2.
Quote:

But to get a Canon with interchangeable lens ability it has to be the expensive XL line starting at $7500.00 CAD. Making the new Sony sound like a bargain (even if it lacks some "pro" features). Then again it is targeted at the consumer market. I guess I'll be leaning towards the Sony.

If you want interchangeable lenses for cheap then get a DSLR.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
About all that tape does is ensure that you'll have a constant bitrate (CBR). Which is okay for some content (talking heads). Factor in fewer pixels in the format (1440x1080) and that's a bit of a higher bitrate than other options. But it's still a lossy and compressed format. Even redcode and mjpeg2000 are compressed formats. It's just a lot less compression. About all that you can do in todays market is use the highest available in your price range bitrate. And maybe up the resolution that you capture at so you can average out the compression / noise in post.

One nice option is a hacked GH1 with something like a 50Mbps bitrate. That's better than some broadcast cameras. Just bear in mind that higher bitrates means more data for a duration of time to process in post. And if you ultimately generate DVDs from your HD footage, the only real gain would be in green screen editing and other things that require fairly accurate color reproduction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts