Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear RDC-7 owners,

The overwhelming majority of RDC-7 owners who posted their opinions on this and other forums feel betrayed by Onkyo/IR and would like Onkyo to offer a trade-in program or/and at least a software and hardware upgrade for the current owners of the RDC-7 processor. I took the liberty of informing - via e-mail - the Onkyo/IR Customer Service Manager, the Onkyo/IR Marketing Manager, the Onkyo/IR Marketing Coordinator, the IR Product Manager and the Onkyo Vice President of the opinions posted on this and other forums. Hopefully Onkyo will listen to us and do the right thing.

R

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Razvanel
betrayed by Onkyo/IR
about what?

just curious.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, the last I heard was that they were being unbending regarding a trade up. If I recall correctly, someone who spoke with their reps was told that they felt they had more than lived up to their promise to provide upgrades and felt this was enough. Still, it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pasted about 14 posts from 4 forums and e-mailed them to the Onkyo officials. I haven't received and replies from them yet and I don't think that I ever will but at least now they know what we think about the whole thing.

R

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what response an Onkyo 989 owner got from Onkyo:

"Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

At this time there is no upgrade but there will be a firmware upgrade in

the spring time."

It's interesting to note that so far the RDC-7 upgrades have been the same as those for the 989 receiver.

Also, this was taken from the Onkyo site ( sounds familiar?):

"When you imagine your ultimate home theater, what do you see? A digital receiver at the center that has the latest features? No more worries about becoming obsolete? Well, how’s this? The TX-DS989Ver2. Onkyo has answered the challenge to do the impossible, make its state of the art flagship receiver even better. How did we do it? When we designed this receiver, we paid attention to what you wanted and delivered on our promise of a “future proof†digital receiver. Here you’ll find the latest formats – THX Surround EX, Ultra2, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital EX, for even more realistically enveloping sound delivered by the highest quality parts available. A lot of hard work goes into making movies and music. This is how you can show your appreciation. The TX-DS989Ver2 – designed for your needs and specifications."

R

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Onkyo also promised firewire for the 989 receiver:

"When a new format, such as the soon-to-be-released DVD Audio standard, is introduced, Onkyo will create a software application that will allow the TX-DS989 to correctly process the new format. The upgrade can then be loaded into the receiver’s built-in flash memory via an RS-232 data port. These updates will cover more than just decoding standards. Other

likely upgrades will include new DSP algorithms, and software for a planned IEEE-1394 interface."

Just like the RDC-7 the 989 also has an IEEE-1394 board slot.

R

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
If they decide to stop upgrading the receiver, I can live with that. BUT, they better come out with the IEEE-1394 board before they stop. This was promised in their literature and they have yet to deliver on it yet.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.