AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
File this under: "Rich spews more wild-eyed enthusiasm about his plasma purchase."

Several weeks after it's arrival, the Panny 4U is STILL sitting in the darn box. (This is of course what happens when you deal with contractors..."Yes, we can have your AV cabinet built and installed by next week.." Yeah, right).

But I can't help but take the thing out occaisionally, setting it (carefully) on the rug, to spin some DVDs. Cripes what a wonderful experience it is seeing films on this thing. It has produced a wonderful, satisfying picture with every single DVD I own - even the older films, or less-than stellar-transfers. It's such a thrill to put on Orson Welles' "Touch Of Evil" and see a wide-screen image with the type of depth, detail and nuance that makes me feel I'm getting my own private theater screening of the film. My kid's DVD of "Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory" (ok, I bought it for ME and forced it on him) is just crazy-eye-popping in color and sharpness on the Panny. Every strand of seventies-hair reaches out through the screen (what was with hair in the seventies? It just didn't behave on anyone's head back then, did it?).

Some of my family finally saw the Panny while it was up and running. My Father-In-Law, who watches no TV at all, may have previously questioned my sanity on the purchase. But he was clearly amazed, and felt the seeing movie images on the screen was "marvelous." Then there's my sister, whose idea of the perfect TV is a nine-inch direct view placed in the corner of a room behind a potted plant (she practices what she preaches). She thought she was sitting down for "just a minute" to see the Panny work, but she couldn't budge from the couch once it was running. She was hypnotized by Jurassic Park and Dinosaur. I heard her mutter "wow" under her breath at least fifteen times.

I can't wait to share movie watching experiences with my friends who are *real* film lovers.

I still see the Pioneer 433HD, which I'd considered buying, in the stores, and it amazes me what it can do with a good signal. Gotta love that resolution. I've seen some DVDs on my Panny that I know would be a bit sharper on the 433, with a little more detail. Yet, at the same time I've been completely blown away by the Panny's performance on DVDs that I'd viewed on the Pio 433. For instance, I viewed my Apocalypse Now (redux) DVD on the Pio 433 before I'd seen it on the Panny. I have a very vivid recollection of how it looked on the Pio 433. I was actually shocked when I put Apoc. Now on my Panny...it actually blew away the 433 with this DVD. The depth, smoothness, richness...man, it just came alive, like I was looking through Coppola's cameras myself. On the Pio 433, it had taken on a sharp, but slightly "pasty," flatter, and somewhat coarser image. On the Pio, I thought that perhaps the Apoc. Now transfer was simply showing the film element's age (or an mediocre DVD transfer). Somehow that movie went from "pretty good" on the Pio to "awesome" on the Panny. It just wasn't as real, or as beautiful as the image on the Panny. I don't really know exactly why.

I do see dither noise on the Panny, but I have to force myself to be conscious of it. With many other plasmas, I am made aware of it by the panel (for instance, just saw the Fujitsu 4242 again, playing what should be a great source - the computer generated "Final Fantasy" movie. There was so much swarming video/dither noise in the picture I couldn't believe it). I'm a big fan of horror/sci-fi films, and with all their dark scenes (and black of space) the Panny's black levels turned out to be a necessity for me. I'm so happy that I don't have to "worry" whenever a dark scene occurs, the Panny picture just sails through this stuff, looking great.

It took me a year to decide on the Panny.

So, I'm pretty picky. Yeah, it'll kill me a little if, soon, a new hi-def 42" Panny comes out. But I have too many movies I want to enjoy NOW.

And if I want to replace this panny I'm betting my dream hi-def plasma will be available within a few years, for even a little less money.

Plllaaaasssssmmmaaaa. Just sayin' it gives ya a little tingle doesn't it?

Rich H.

anyone's anyone's

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ron, where in TO did you source your Panny? How was the experience?

I am in process of moving to TO from NYC and am looking to get a new monitor to replace my aging 35" pre Wega XBR CRT. Options are to get Panny now (seems to be the consensus favorite), wait out a rumored update to the panny, or wait out the 50" samsung DLP's (yes rogo i know.....) Option #1 might involve sourcing the panny in US online for reletively low $$ or not taking the risk of moving or returning and source in TO thus the basis for my questions.

B

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Badga,

I got my Panny 4U from "Applied Electronics," in Mississauga, Ont.

Phone # 905-625-4321 (Talk to Bill or Ted).

They gave me a very good price, but Applied Electronics has a working relationship with the company I work for (Film Post Production work), so I got a deal that I'm not sure would be available to the average consumer (Applied Electronics mostly serves commercial/industrial clients, not consumers).

I have a list of places that gave me good prices during my plasma search in Toronto. Send me a PM if you need more info.

I had looked at importing a Panny plasma from the states, due to better prices, but I'm now very glad I didn't do that. I feel more secure having a plasma with an in-home repair warranty, and a dealer within driving distance.

Rich H.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.