Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the following on a gaming board:

Quote:
I can confirm that using the Blaze VGA adaptor you can play MGS2, MGS2 Substance and MGS3 in 480p.
do you guys know of this? games like MGS3 that says on the box there is no progressive scan option.. you simply can play in 480p with that Blaze VGA adaptor...

if true, I'd like to have a list with other games that can be playable at 480p

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
PlayStation 2 Hi-Resolution VGA Adaptor (USA Version) ! The Blaze VGA Adapter actually uses software to UNLOCK the true high resolution of the PS2 console. The PS2 console is capable of running in a resolution of 640 x 400 but the more common 320 x 200 is always used. With his unique VGA adaptor games will come alive with clarity and crisp graphics. Play your PS2 games in stunning high resolution on any VGA monitor. Play your next-generation games the way they were meant to be played, in stunning high resolution.
Looks like it's not a line doubler. The resolution looks higher than normal but certainly not 'high res' by today's standards.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, let me make this clear: If I buy this VGA adaptor, a game like MGS3 will look much more nicer on a projected screen (80", Sanyo Z3) than when I play the game without that VGA adaptor? (since MGS3 isn't 480p supported)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Jaeger
so, let me make this clear: If I buy this VGA adaptor, a game like MGS3 will look much more nicer on a projected screen (80", Sanyo Z3) than when I play the game without that VGA adaptor? (since MGS3 isn't 480p supported)
Please, I need an answer on this :(

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have no clue if that will work. The online reviews vary wildly... looks uncertain at best. Can't be sure if the problem is with the games, the adapter units, or the displays.

Here is a list of displays that accept sync-on-green (which apparently is required for PS2 via VGA). http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php The Z3 is NOT on the list, but the Sanyo PLV-70 projector IS... so I'm guessing the Z3 might be OK.

Here's a faq with some PS2 and VGA related info. http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/ps2faq.txt

(it's kinda long, search it for "VGA").

You have 2 component inputs... can't you just use one of those?

Your Z3 is going to convert everything to 720p. If the game is 480i only anyway... let the Z3 handle it. PS2 component adapters are cheap, and effective.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Quote:
I read the following on a gaming board:

do you guys know of this? games like MGS3 that says on the box there is no progressive scan option.. you simply can play in 480p with that Blaze VGA adaptor...

if true, I'd like to have a list with other games that can be playable at 480p

Taken from here :
Quote:
In true VGA output, the PS2 is able to directly access the VGA monitor

with no signal conversion in between. Since this connection type is

direct and not interlaced, it can (in theory, but no games support it

yet) allow resolutions greater than 640x480, and it isn't limited to the

quality of the connection. That means this is the best overall analog

video mode supported by the PS2.

NEWS FLASH: Blaze Gear, , appears to have

released a True VGA cable that does true VGA output but does not have

the sync on green catch that the official Sony VGA cable has, and it

includes a boot disc that tries to work around Big catch #2 as well!

This is a real breakthrough for True VGA if all of the above is true.

Anyone ever used one before?
The site no longer exists but I googled for the Blaze VGA adapter you mentioned and it appears to be the one the FAQ speaks (the adapter comes with a boot disc as described in the FAQ).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInBerlinNJ
Here is a list of displays that accept sync-on-green (which apparently is required for PS2 via VGA). http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php The Z3 is NOT on the list, but the Sanyo PLV-70 projector IS... so I'm guessing the Z3 might be OK.
What about the Panasonic AE 700? I don't see it in the list

Quote:
You have 2 component inputs... can't you just use one of those?

Your Z3 is going to convert everything to 720p. If the game is 480i only anyway... let the Z3 handle it. PS2 component adapters are cheap, and effective.
so, the Z3 will give me a better visual quality than that Blaze Adapter? How will 480i only games converted to 720p look like on a +- 80" screen?

Someone mentioned this on another board:

Quote:
The Blaze adapter is a wierd bit of kit (I've got one). It's a combination of hardware and a software preloader. As a rough estimate it works well on about 30-40% of games, playably but not great on another 30% or so and won't work on the rest.

It has four different modes, but when its working perfectly it seems to get the PS2 to produce a full 640x480 progressive image - it looks to me like the PS2 produces this internally but normally has to interlace it for TV output. GTA looked very good.

I haven't used this for a while (its tricky only being able to play 30% of games) but if anyone has any questions I'll dig it out and see if I can answer them. I'll dig out MGS2 and see if that works - don't have MGS3 I'm afraid.

Nick

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You said in your first post that the game does NOT SUPPORT 480p. So it's 480i only, Right?

EVERYTHING that the Z3 (or Panny 700) projects will be projected at 720p. These projectors are "fixed pixel" displays... they can ONLY project their "native rate" (720p in this case). They can ACCEPT a wide variety of input types (composite, s-video, component, HDMI, VGA, etc) and rates... (480i-480p-720p-1080i-etc). Whatever you feed it, gets converted to 720p for display. OK?

So, you can buy this VGA adapter thingy... and maybe convert your 480i game to 480p VGA... feed it to your projector's VGA input... and maybe the projector will accept it... and then the projector will CONVERT IT AGAIN to 720p.

or

Connect the PS2 directly to your projector via component cables... and the projector will ABSOLUTELY accept it (480i or 480p), and convert it to 720p with no problems.

I use my PS2 connected to my Z2, via component, and I have no problems with any of my games. They all look at least as good as they did on a regular TV, and usually better. My screen is 106"...

So I ask again, is there some reason you need to use VGA rather than component?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Quote:
So I ask again, is there some reason you need to use VGA rather than component?
Because the adapter, if it works with the game played, will output the original 480p source. The component will output only 480i. When feeding the projector the 480p source all it will do is scale it up to 720p. When feeding the projector the 480i source, it will deinterlace it first and then scale it up. I'd rather work with the original 480p source than having to deinterlace (which will not be done perfectly) the 480i source that was derived from the original 480p source back to 480p.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Someone mentioned this on another board:
Would it be alright if you post the link to that board? I am quite interested in this adapter as well.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Montemayor
Because the adapter, if it works with the game played, will output the original 480p source. The component will output only 480i. When feeding the projector the 480p source all it will do is scale it up to 720p. When feeding the projector the 480i source, it will deinterlace it first and then scale it up. I'd rather work with the original 480p source than having to deinterlace (which will not be done perfectly) the 480i source that was derived from the original 480p source back to 480p.

If the de-interlacer in the adapter/PS2 is better than that in the HD projector, than I guess that would make sense. I don't think the odds on that being true are good. I'd suspect the exact opposite to be true.

In addition, I DO know that going straight to the digital PJ via component outputs always works, for every game, AND looks great (well... great for a PS2 game). :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm with you Dave...Use the better chip.

My pj has the farajouda (SP) chip. I'd much rather have that doing the scaling for me. I've got the PS2 connected via component through a receiver and the texture mapping to smooth. It looks great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just don't see any reason in trying to make PS2 graphics better. Your better off spending your money on the 360. When i bought my HDTV I realized what I was missing out on and bought the xbox.

I'm guessing if you can afford an HDTV you can afford xbox/360

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphykevin413
Wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just don't see any reason in trying to make PS2 graphics better. Your better off spending your money on the 360. When i bought my HDTV I realized what I was missing out on and bought the xbox.

I'm guessing if you can afford an HDTV you can afford xbox/360
I have a Xbox, I have a Gamecube too.. but what does it have to do with my question? there are still games that are exclusive to a console, like Metal Gear Solid 3...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.