AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my receiver arrived damaged (ups driver dropped it!) so wouldn't accept it and now i have to re-order. has anyone had problems returning items to one call since don't seem to take returns if the box has been opened? since they don't seem to like returns what about defective items? do they cooperate? they seem to have the best prices but i'm just a little concerned about buying form a company that doesn't have a liberal return policy. what about return experiences with j and r? i was looking forward to setting up this weekend and now there's a delay:-(

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
If UPS dropped it and damaged it, then it's not Onecalls fault. So why should they cover something that UPS damaged? So you are wrong, as this is not just a simple return problem with Onecall, because the item arrived damaged, and possibly due to UPS handling.

And if you refused delivery because of that, you did the right thing. But you must also contact Onecall and tell them what happened, and why you refused delivery. And then they must contact UPS to have them pay for a replacement. And this is how it would work on ANY damaged shipment you receive, and no matter who you bought it from. And this is also why people pay for shipping insurance, when they ship items out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe i confused you in my thread. i liked onecall's prices and would have bought from them but their "return" policy or lack thereof scared me away. i bought from j&r, and since i found myself once again needing to order, i was just checking to see what others' experiences were returning stuff to onecall.

get this catch 22: j&r said i should file a claim with ups to get a refuind on the shipping and ups said in order to file a damage claim, i should have accepted the pkg because a damage claim is only honored if after their inspection, damage to the contents is proved. i explained to ups that i didn't want it after seeing the force with which it was dropped.

ups also said j&r could file a claim so maybe if they do then i could possibly get a refund for shipping costs, (like they're going to inform me if they receive a refund) i haven't finished yet. i'm still going to try filing an incident report or something. right now my expedited shipping costs did nothing for me. it is a bit of an eye opened learning of ups' policies. in the meantime, i'll order another hk and maybe stand at the curb and wait for the ups driver this time :)

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Onecall don't like to do returns for products that are not defective. And I don't really blame them, otherwise they would possibly have many people ordering items just to do 'in home' auditions of products, and then returning stuff they may not like. If you want a place that will do no hassle or low hassle returns, then you should expect to pay more for that. Or maybe better yet, buy from a local dealer. As far as UPS goes, you SHOULD have told the driver that the box was damaged, and then had him initiate the procedure on what to do, and also have him sign something stating that the box was damaged that he had for delivery to you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the ups driver noted that i refused the pkg due to damage. the only procedure would have been for me to accept the pkg then file a damage claim- and prove damage to the receiver. just witnessing the pkg being dropped with force isn't enough. the claim is only paid if damage is proven. and that takes time, meanwhile i'm being charged for a product i don't want. i didn't want to accept the pkg., then i'd have to pay again for return shipping. i wanted the pkg returned to sender so i could get credit and then order a replacement. i just think there should be better rules in place to protect the consumer.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Then those are the UPS rules you need to abide by, and if you don't follow them, then it's gonna be hard to deal with that kind of problem no matter who you buy it from! And just "dropping" the box, did not mean it was actually damaged, as they are boxed fairly good in case of things like that. And I don't really blame them, for not just sending you another one, or even crediting you for it. Worse comes to worse, you could try calling your credit card company, and see what they might do to help you out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This thread is weird. How do you know the receiver was damaged? I have received bashed boxes with the electronics undamaged. OTOH, I understand your hesitancy to accept a damaged box at a moment when you had to make an immediate decision. Your only option now is to deal with UPS and if that fails, call your credit card company into the fray. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What a pain in the a$$ . How long before you get all of this sorted out?

Is your system down or do you have a back-up?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think OneCall generally recommends that you do not accept shipments with obvious substantial damage. At least they did when I purchased some rather large speakers from them. Jason from OneCall participates frequently in this forum. He may add his insight here.

The shipper is the one who files a claim with the carrier. They directly contracted/paid for the shipment/insurance. You did pay, but only indirectly. The carrier only knows you as the place they've been told to 'drop' the box (pardon the pun).

Did I miss where you said that j&r is working this for you? This ought to be pretty routine for them. They get reimbursed through UPS, and in turn settle-up with you.

BTW, since you asked, I did have a return through OneCall recently. It had nothing to do with shipping though. Once they confirmed the product's defect, they did credit all but the shipping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok- to clarify, i have been dealing with j&r ( i was curious about one call's policies and wanted to know of personal experiences with them, for future use) receiver # 2 arrived today. i met the driver @ the curb, it was the same driver so he remembered... this time i asked him if he had a hand truck and reminded him about the step. everything proceeded just fine. haven't totally unboxed it yet but all appears to be well (the manucacturer's box is very worn, must have been around for a while :) ) anyway, are electronics usually packed well enough to withstand a fall of 6 feet onto concrete with theh weight of a 170lb man behind it? maybe my concern was for nothing then. although it's hard to see the actual mishap and not be concerned. i called j&r immediately and told thenm i didn't accept the 1st receiver and it was on its way back and they were ok with that. they even waived shipping charges on the second one. (i decided to order the replacement rather than waiting for them to receive the 1st one and make an exchange. ) i'm glad i did because now their website lists a 3-5 day processing time for that receiver and mine was 1-2 days. no i haven't been without a receiver, i have one that i'm upgrading.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
john u r an animal!

·
Registered
576 Posts
sks123,

I think you made the right decision. Of course, packages can be dropped and not damage the item inside, but if you saw it happen you were right to refuse it.

Personal Example:

A computer was delivered to my house by FedEx (only mention the company to show that UPS isn't the only one to have made this mistake). As the girl was bringing the monitor up the steps, she was swinging it in one arm. On the back swing, it got loose, bounced on each step, then rolled to a stop in the street (just past the curb). She knew I knew. I accepted shipment and (of course) the monitor was damaged. I called the computer company and reported it. Same girl brought me a new one. As she delivered it, she angrily stated, "It wasn't from anyone dropping anything. I never would mail-order a computer because I've seen what happens during shipping." The new monitor's box had skid marks on all sides, each corner was crushed, and there was something rattling inside. I never opened it and called for a replacement. Different delivery person and, 5 years later, I'm still using that monitor. I'm sure glad the computer company believed me. They treated me extremely well. By the way, they went out of business within 6 months of that set of incidents.

You were right to refuse delivery. Saved you lots of explanations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.