Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The AVIA disk includes:

1) Theory and setup procedures for Home Theater equipment, including a pretty good explanation of all common terms, and cabling.

2) Complete user audio and video calibrations with detailed explanations. You need only your eyes and ears and an inexpensive Radio Shack sound level meter to complete these.

3) Additional test patterns and audio signals that can be usefull as you acquire more experience in the hobby, or to solve specific problems.

Highly reccomended that you own this disk.

Gary

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Just as an FYI, I actually bought the following at Amazon last week:I'm posting this merely as a reference since I know I was looking for this stuff, someone else must be too. I dunno what the 'Ultimate DVD Platinum' really is actually (LOL) but it was a 2fer deal with Video Essentials. I had heard some say VE is better and some say AVIA is better so I figure I got my bases covered the best I can this way. Certainly not saying these can't be had cheaper elsewhere...As always when buying from amazon, find a coupon and use it..Saved me 15$

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Ultimate DVD Platinum $25.49 1 $25.49

1 Video Essentials: Optimizing Y $42.49 1 $42.49

1 AVIA Guide to Home Theater $39.99 1 $39.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Item Subtotal: $107.97

Shipping & Handling: $4.96

Best Value Savings: -$3.00

Promotional Certificate: $15.00

Total: $94.93

-Trouble

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ouch! You really overpaid for VE. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif VE has some very cool information... it's demos and examples are entertaining. And, it's got a nice video demo that's fun to watch. However, it's very outdated (both the demos, and the info.) Navigation is a big pain. BTW, VE is not discontinued, and a new version is due some time in the future.

Ultimate DVD is just a rip-off item. Made by jokers. Some interesting things on the DVD, but it's not a serious tool.

AVIA has everything you need. Only things not on the disc is no demo video to watch (pop in the DVD of your choice), and no DTS tests (not needed, actually, but nice to have.) AVIA is almost perfect.

To the original poster: The THX tests on T2 and other DVDs is *ONLY* accurate for *that* DVD, and will not calibrate your system for other DVDs. Get AVIA, and you will have more then you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.