AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about sounding like a broken record, but I am nearing the point of testing the wind resistence of my shuttle in the testing environment of the space between my balcony and the parking lot below.

I have a shuttle xpc with a radeon 8500 all in wonder and a Toshiba 57hdx82. I have been over every thread relating to the issue with toshiba and dvi, but nothing that I am capable of trying has worked. I do not have a DFP display to attempt any of the 'fixes' that require the use of one, and working with powerstrip for 7 hours yesterday got me nothing but headaches and an urge to kill, mame, and destroy all life.

I did a test of svideo output for the heck of it, but the results were bad enough to send me into a frenzy of vulgarity that made the college frat kids next door blush. It's not acceptable, and I didn't just dump a considerable sum of money into this system to try to discern between JarJarBinks and Anakin Skywalker only to realize that it was really Darth Maul.

At this point, should I simply opt for the ati DVI-Component Devi- err Dongle? I understand the issues that I will face as far as limited adjustment ability, but really if I get 720p native I will be happy. I understand that dvd output is limited to 480p using this dongle, is that correct?

Can anyone tell me the amount of difference from DVI to component as far as image quality is concerned? Honestly I was hoping to make my shuttle my dvd player, but nowI don't know if it will match the output of my LiteOn dvd/divx player as far as normal dvd playback is concerned.

My main reason for posting is to get opinions on if I should just buy the damned dongle or keep trying for DVI. Help me before you see me on cnn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In all seriousness, I would just plop down the 30 bucks for the dongle. It sounds like the frustration/hours spent is definitely waaaayyy over worrying about spending 30 dollars. That way you can do your own testing, and I'm sure ATI has a return policy if you don't like it.

Have you tried other DVI video cards with your TV, to narrow down the problem to the video card, or to the TV itself?

I'm still relatively fresh here too... but my sys is as follows:

Shuttle SB51G

Nvidia 4200 w/ DVI to a....

NEC Plasma 42MP3

Running at 1280x720p through the DVI. No powerstrip needed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll resist the urge to damn you for having a working combination.

From what I've read here, the Toshiba DVI situation is pretty much universal, but people with nvidia cards do seem to have more luck than ati owners. My problem is that I'm not exactly able to just go out and buy more cards trying to get something to work, and after everything I've put into this telling the woman at home 'oops, I need a different card, teehee' probably wouldn't be great for my sex life in general.

Will the quality I get with the component dongle be close in quality to dvi? From what I've read there isn't a huge jump in quality from component to dvi, as opposed to svideo-component or composite-svideo.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I suspect that 99.99999% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between DVI and component.

S-video to component is a HUUUUUUGE difference.

Go for the dongle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered the dongle, but I had a question... seems a lot of people are getting a very long shipping time from ATI

how long do they normally take to deliver?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I too have no DFP to try the ATI DVI Toshiba trick. I am running 1776*1000 through the componant adapter and it is excellent except for the interlacing effects.

I assume these effects would be worse through DVI. If it is a better PQ, the effects would be exagerated. I may never know.

My problem is that I have run out of componant inputs. DVD, X-box, PC and satelite. I have to unplug the Xbox to get the HD Satelite.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point about inputs, I'm lucky as I will now be maxed out.

I have my liteon divx/dvd player inputting into my Denon AVR1082 as well as my xbox, with the Denon outputting to my tv, leaving one free input on the tv for the htpc.

So overall you are happy with the quality of the image? What model tv are you using?

·
Registered
114 Posts
if u're obssessive enough u can tell DVI vs component

·
Registered
118 Posts
50HDX

image is nice and tight. DVD and HD material looks excellent

text is legible but some people have a hard time reading it sometimes. I don't

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status