AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Survey data from Yankee Group shows 60% of U.S. households have one or more video game consoles, while only 58% have cable set-top boxes.


A majority of the consoles are connected to home networks and are capable of downloading apps and video-on-demand content. With Americans averaging 136 minutes every day watching television, the trend spells trouble for cable service providers, Yankee Group concludes.


The report, Video Game Consoles: The Next TV Network, predicts game consoles will continue to attract consumer interest and further erode cable advertising and VOD revenue.


With new features that directly challenge service provider offerings and growing online communities, game consoles are putting up a fight for control of the living room, said Dmitriy Molchanov, Yankee Group analyst. Connected gaming consoles are only the beginning of a new wave of connected consumer devices challenging service provider dominance in the digital living room, and as more TVs become connected, service providers will be forced to rethink their approach.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/vid...le-boxes-18621
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Survey data from Yankee Group shows 60% of U.S. households have one or more video game consoles, while only 58% have cable set-top boxes.

Sort of a useless comparison, since it apparently doesn't include people with satellite or those who have cable but don't use a box (either by using their cable-ready TV or by using a cable card.) Plus, anyone who has an old NES or Atari boxed up in their garage could truthfully respond "yes" to a survey asking if they have "one or more video game consoles" in the household (and since it only claimed that "a majority" of the consoles are connected to home networks and are capable of downloading apps and VOD content, that leaves up to ~49% of the respondents who answered yes who could have a console that does not fit that description.) And of course, the consoles that can't be connected to home networks and/or are not capable of downloading apps and VOD content are still counted in that 60% claim.



I can see them possibly making a point in regards to how many people have access to VOD, but I really can't see how they can link this comparison to cable advertising revenue, since the number of households with "cable set-top boxes" is not the same as the number of households that subscribe to (and watch) cable.


Then there's the question of how many people were actually surveyed and what sort of demographics they fall into. Without that sort of data, the survey really is pretty much useless, as there are many ways to "cook the books" when it comes to surveys. It would also be interesting to see who paid for the survey, since that can, does, and has had an affect on the outcome of many surveys in the past.


In other words... yawn.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow.


Blindly criticizing The Yankee Group because you are not happy with the results of the poll.


Amazing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18245721


Wow.


Blindly criticizing The Yankee Group because you are not happy with the results of the poll.


Amazing.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Good call there, PSound.



If that's the best you can come up with, then I think I've made my point.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb /forum/post/18245759


Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Good call there, PSound.



If that's the best you can come up with, then I think I've made my point.

I can't argue that you have certainly made a point.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18245886


I can't argue that you have certainly made a point.

So... you've responded twice, yet you've addressed nothing from my posts. I guess that says it all, doesn't it?




I have to ask - are you trying to get yet another thread locked because of your bickering? Because it certainly appears that way (and, quite frankly, you are the one common element in virtually every locked thread in this area.) What's really amazing is that you start all of these threads under the guise of someone who wants to have an actual discussion about a given topic, but in reality you seem to merely want to attack and/or dismiss anyone who has an opinion that differs from your own.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb /forum/post/18245918


So... you've responded twice, yet you've addressed nothing from my posts. I guess that says it all, doesn't it?




I have to ask - are you trying to get yet another thread locked because of your bickering? Because it certainly appears that way (and, quite frankly, you are the one common element in virtually every locked thread in this area.) What's really amazing is that you start all of these threads under the guise of someone who wants to have an actual discussion about a given topic, but in reality you seem to merely want to attack and/or dismiss anyone who has an opinion that differs from your own.

There is no starting point for a discussion. The thread is predicated on a poll and analalysis from a respected market research firm, and you started by basically saying that polls and analysis cannot be trusted.


That is your point. I disagree, but this is not the thread for that discussion. I will just assume in the future that you don't trust any polls or market analysis.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/18246089


There is no starting point for a discussion. The thread is predicated on a poll and analalysis from a respected market research firm, and you started by basically saying that polls and analysis cannot be trusted.

Actually, that particular point was brought up in my second reply to the thread. And I never said that polls and/or surveys can't be trusted, but you have to have a hell of a lot more information than what was provided for them to be of any real use. In my first post, I pointed out several bits of data that were missing from the article and I made it clear why I thought that the missing information is necessary for the results of the poll to have any real meaning (which is basically what I said above, if you actually took the time to read the post before replying.) Hell, we don't even know the specific questions that were asked of the respondents, let alone who was polled or how many were polled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/0


That is your point.

Wrong. The point of my posts was not simply "polls and analysis cannot be trusted." If that's all you took from them, then obviously you didn't understand what I posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/0


I will just assume in the future that you don't trust any polls or market analysis.

You can assume whatever you like. I will continue to assume that you're intentionally getting threads locked when the discussion moves in a direction you're unhappy with. I will also continue to assume that when you reply to posts without addressing anything in the posts, that you're once again merely trying to attack and/or dismiss anyone who has an opinion that differs from your own.


Hopefully others will chime in before you get this thread locked like the others.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Yankee Group is a well respected analysis firm. Certainly not one known to mislead like the pollster in the link you provided.


I would be interested in any counter data you had to present.


I won't bother responding to the rest of your comments other than to point out that the threads that get locked generally do when people start throwing out personal insults.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
When I speak with people about there cable/satilite service, one of the first things out of their mouth is that they have been told that they have to have cable or satilite in order to get HDTV progarmming.


As I talk about my setup, there mouths drop to the floor. I do not have cable or satilite and have more then enough Free over the air HDTV to watch. I also have Hulu and Amazon Video on Demad via my Media Center PC. On top of all of this, I watch most of my programming commerical free. The Media Center PC can record two HDTV channels at the same time. I can also play BluRay and DVD movies. I also get free internet Radio and the list go on. As more and more people out there discover the money that can be save, I see cable and satilite losing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Embry /forum/post/18263665


When I speak with people about there cable/satilite service, one of the first things out of their mouth is that they have been told that they have to have cable or satilite in order to get HDTV progarmming.


As I talk about my setup, there mouths drop to the floor. I do not have cable or satilite and have more then enough Free over the air HDTV to watch. I also have Hulu and Amazon Video on Demad via my Media Center PC. On top of all of this, I watch most of my programming commerical free. The Media Center PC can record two HDTV channels at the same time. I can also play BluRay and DVD movies. I also get free internet Radio and the list go on. As more and more people out there discover the money that can be save, I see cable and satilite losing!

Lies? I would call them a mix of half truths:

1) many don't reside in an area with multiple, strong tv signals.


2) hulu is free but only for pc so no hd for tv


3) amazon vod is a pay service, BDs and dvds must be purchased.


4) Bet that media pc was not free nor is the a dsl connection fast enough to be able to watch hulu and amazon.


5) many have families, jobs and hobbies so time is not free.


So it all sounds great while someone is spinning the tale until you actually spend some time to think about it and what is involved to save a few bucks.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top