AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help someone out who is under the impression that he is underpowered. I'd like to get some members' opinions on the matter.

Here are the specifics:

Marantz SR-7000 Receiver

Paradigm Monitor HT setup (Monitor 7's, CC-370 Center Channel, Paradigm Dipole Rears, Paradigm Sub).

The room is probably 20ftx10ft.

The TV and front speakers are situated on the short (10ft) wall.

Seating is on the opposite back wall (He is probably 12-15ft back).

Ceiling is vaulted (I can't remember which way it slopes).

The main complaint is that the dialogue out of the center channel is not as loud or clear/intelligible as he would like.

He's tried two seperate amps (a Marantz 5 ch. and a Anthem 2ch.). He did not keep either of them, so that says something.

I am not convinced he needs more watts, as the receiver has no problem filling the room.

My suggestions were the following:

1. Angle center channel slightly downward (it sits on top of TV, which is 2-3ft above ear height when seated).

2. Move center channel to floor in front of TV and use a stand.

3. Larger center, or maybe 2 center channels?

Comments Please!!!

-Tony

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
first I would rotate his setup 90 degrees so that the front soundstage is along the long wall.

second I would look at acoustic treatments for the which make an amazing difference for boomy bass and muddy dialogue

any method of getting the center channel pointed toward the primary listening position would help

·
Registered
5,961 Posts

• Balance the system (buy a meter at Radio Shack)
  • Look at - install acoustic treatments
  • Balance the system again

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I suspect his problems are with the room - 10' is very narrow, and he is probably getting a lot of strong reflections from the sides that are muddying the sound. He should try some good absorption panels on the side walls at the point of first reflection. He can locate this point with a mirror placed on the walls and moved until the main seating position can see the reflection of the nearest speaker. Then place a 2'-3' wide acoustic panel at normal listening height; repeat on the opposite wall. I agree the center channel should be tilted down slightly to point directly at the seated listeners. Also, he may need to place acoustic panels on the wall behind the center speaker. If the floor is not carpeted a thick rug should be placed on the floor between the center speaker and the listeners to absorb the reflection there. The ceiling may also be causing problems, and that could be hard to fix without a major cash outlay and advice from an acoustic expert. Lastly, he should carefully calibrate all speakers and be sure his distance/delay settings are correct. Also be sure the center speaker is set to "small."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.