AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After painstakingly upgrading to 3.06 and trying to live with it for a few weeks I threw in the towel and went (again, painstakingly) back to 2.01.

I was getting these strange artifacts that were hard for me to pin down definitively until I watched the PGA tournament this past weekend. Slow pans and pullbacks over the greens would cause false contours to rapidly and coarsly change in value--very distracting. Sometimes the grass would also just look like painted, lumpy concrete. Backing off on 3D NR didn't help. Turning off processing or using split-screen made it easy to see it was something in the Mosquito's processing.

Anyone else having problems with 3.06?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Too bad it's broadcast TV. I had some artifacting problem with the 1.x firmware while watching a DVD. I reported it to Algolith and they went out and bought the DVD to reproduce the problem. The issue was subsequently fixed in 2.01.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running with v3.06 on my Mosquito,

did you try to lower the 2D at 5 or less ?

In general when watching interlace signal I used a lower value of 2D (instead of 10).

v3.06 provide big improvement to filter macrobloking and mosquito noise.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you see the artifacts I'm speaking of when 2D is above 5?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Were you watching HD? With 3.06 the processing level for HD is the same as for SD. Under the earlier version that was not the case. Look for a software version that lets the user set different levels for the two. HD needs a lot less processing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Which software version will come withe the HDMI Mosquito? Mine is on order.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
Were you watching HD?
Indeed I was. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Try lowering the processing levels when you are watching HD and see if this improves things. Let us now.

Which software will come with the HDMI Mosquito? I think it will be a version beyond 3.06.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If may be awhile. The upgrade/downgrade process almost made me go postal.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, finally built up the fortitude to try the upgrade to 3.06 once again. This time it only took an hour (the licensing and USB communications reliability need, ah, work). Major clayface was immediately apparent on the newscast I was viewing. Scenes of cloud-filled skys were really posterized. Backed off on 2D to 4 (from 8) and 3D to 2 (from 3) and all became well again.

Interestingly enough, After those tweaks, I was able to increase Detail Enhancement from 3 to 6 without any noticable ringing on the Avia Sharpness and Multiburst test patterns. DirecTV-HD looks better than ever. SD looks better than ever as well, but for a curious reason: I went through and recalibrated black and white levels, saturation and hue and found (using the same calibration criteria as before) I could bring the black level and saturation way up from where they were before. I don't know how to explain it, but there it is. It's not HD by a long shot, but it certainly was revealing.

Oferlaor, if possible, please change my thumbs-down thread icon to a thumbs-up.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The download procedure is much simpler on the HDMI version. A real pain in the ___ on the non HDMI version but still doable once you get the hang of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.