AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun to notice some artifacts which I believe may be mosquito noise.

I first noticed the artifact when watching recorded shows off of my cable company's PVR (TWC, NYC, on their PVR box). It was noticable when the overlays for credits were being shown (titles, actors, etc). It showed up as a rather visible area of what looked like small dots of noise - almost like a "ripple" effect in that the surroundings were blurred a bit with noise. The area was a well defined rectangle.

I thought that it was an artifact introduced by the PVR as a result of compression/storage to disk.

Now, I'm seeing it on "live" TV a good deal. I see it on TV series shows, documentaries (National Geographic, etc.). It's rather visible when I was watching reruns of the old Twilight Zone - perhaps because the show is B/W?

I haven't noticed it (yet) on any DVD based sources.

Is this mosquito noise? I've heard the term and its appearance, but I've never noticed it before.

-Jon

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

Well, if you see the noise around defined edges of the image, then.. yes, what you are seeing qualifies as mosquito noise. I find it somewhat remisniscent of ringing artifacts, but without its uniformity.

I have a crappy RCA receiver for standard TV viewing and the blocking and mosquito artifacts are simply HORRIBLE.

The plane pic (taken from Air Force One) shows the mosquito noise quite well.

I am curious as to what your setup might be for your ''live'' TV?

IMHO, as is often the case, once you know about it, you cannot NOT notice it. grrr

Cheers, munch.

PS. I appreciate your FAQ.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Live" TV is two fold:

- TWC HD cable via an SA-3100HD box, going over component 1080i to my TV (Sharp Aquos 30" LCD). I don't seem to be noticing the artifacts here.

- TWC PVR box, going over s-video (that's the bestl the PVR puts out!) into my Sharp Aquos.

Arg. I hate artifacts which won't go away.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

I had forgotten about that box. IIRC there was one up for sale a while ago by Alan.

I'm glad to see it takes SDI in. I wouldn't be happy about adding another A/D D/A conversion into the chain.

That is one expensive box, though. No, I guess I'll have to live with it. The Sencore VP401 is next on my list...

Thanks, everybody.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Not sure if I'm interpreting the website correctly but it looks as if Miranda has "broken out" this technology from only being incorporated in the DT-4101.

Looks like you can now order the DNR-101i & MNR-101i Noise Reducers by themselves in

the Miranda enclosure of your choice ( Symphonie or Quartet2 ).

BW, Damon

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$5k.

Zoiks.

I'd write my own mpeg decoder for that money :D

-Jon

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, $5k might be worth it. I can't watch TV anymore. This is as bad as the chroma bug.

(probably not a bad thing, watching less TV).

I'm going to check out my HD box again - this seems to be apparent only when I watch through the PVR box. Perhaps it is an artifact introduced by the PVR as a result of "pausing live TV" type functionality.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
It looks like they took SDI I/O away. That makes it a no buy for me. The whole idea is to maintain an all digital path from DVD/PVR to the scaler.
Never mind that still iamges and moving images are so different that the screen grabs are quite useless for evaluting these gadgets.

·
UHD Addict
39,234 Posts
I never noticed the mosquito noise until it was pointed out too me. Now I see it in almost everything. As well as the griain in the movies. Everytime I go to the theater to see a movie I notice all the grain that's there. I never used to notice it but it has become annoying now.

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Aaronwt,

I wish people would point out such artifacts to me. Sadly, in my house, I'm the one pointing and causing people to see artifacts. I can't help it. I can hardly ever see a picture I'm completely satisfied with...

Mosquito noise, macro block edges and gradient noise are the three top MPEG artifacts I constantly see. Coupled with 3:2/2:2 pulldown and a good scaler, this will be the next video processing technology to watch for (I've been saying this for the last 2 years)!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.