AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from an Infocus 4805 to a 7210, so any bias I have is in comparison of viewing one to the other. In all the past 14 months watching a 4805/HCCV (HDTV and DVD) there was always a certain amount of dithering in solid or gradated backgrounds, though I didn't find it a distraction. Now, after a couple hours of initial breaking in the 7210, I'm nearly overwhelmed by what I'd guess is referred to as mosquito noise.

The only difference at this point is the projector.

Is it the change in resolution? Have the larger and slower moving artifacts of the 480p projector escalated to an incessant crawling background of a 720p projector?

Is this a fact of life with true HD pjs? Just certain ones? Does everyone want an Algolith Dragonfly?

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
It's a fact of life with a 1-chip DLP. All the micromirrors are always in motion due to the colorwheel rotation so the mirrors need to be switched between On and Off constantly. Hence a overall "crawling" picture tone - what I call a "restless pixel" effect!

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci
acksnay,

Does your projector have a "Sharpness" or "Detail" control? It tends to emphasize not only edges but also noise, which can be annoying if it is turned up too high. Try turning it down, but not too far down or it will soften the edges too much.
I'll have a look Erik. Though I assumed like the 4805, the 7210's DCDi sharpness circuitry is only active during 480i sources.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On
It's a fact of life with a 1-chip DLP. All the micromirrors are always in motion due to the colorwheel rotation so the mirrors need to be switched between On and Off constantly. Hence a overall "crawling" picture tone - what I call a "restless pixel" effect!

regards,

Li On
I hear you Li On. Though that "restless pixel" effect was no way near that pronounced with a 480p projector. Both pjs have the same FLI2310 processor, so wouldn't signal management be similar on both units?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I think part of the problem is also the brightness on the 7210. Sure for ambient light filled rooms and larger screen applications it may be needed, but added brightness tends to also "amplify" the noise factor. Same thing happens with a high gain screen such as a Silverstar....with the good comes the bad.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a talk with Infocus tech support about this and was assured that obvious mosquito noise is not normal, and in fact to expect a stable background. There are several system control options I'm going to try tonight. Will post if I get 'em swatted.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I think he is thinking optimistically about his product (and every single chip DLP for that matter). :) Please do post what you find though.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk
I think part of the problem is also the brightness on the 7210. Sure for ambient light filled rooms and larger screen applications it may be needed, but added brightness tends to also "amplify" the noise factor. Same thing happens with a high gain screen such as a Silverstar....with the good comes the bad.
Hey Jason. No doubt extra brightness is adding to it. This setup is only temporary until HT room is finished and the Firehawk can go up. I'm using the original 6' wide HCCV with a UMC ND2 filter on, so brightness is a ridiculous 23.9 ft/L. Even so, if you saw the image you'd agree there was ample room for noise reduction.

Looks like my 7210 needs more out-of-the-box tweaking than the 4805 did.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Yes not suprising. The higher the level of projector you go, the more they can tend to show imperfections. The 4805 is a great little unit and really good at hiding certain negative aspects. You should be able to get there with the 7210 as well, but it's going to take more time to tweak.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I've found all the HD2(+) range of DLP chips to be quite noisy, especially when displayed at high brightness values. Unwanted image noise like that takes me out of the movie so I try to ensure that my display is at 12ft lamberst or less and then it becomes a non issue unless it's in the source. Add an ND2 filter and you will find the image will be less noisy unless there's something else causing it.

Gary.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Gary. Whan I switch out the 6' HCCV to a 10' Firehawk, I expect that will be the case. In the meantime, even with an ND2 filter the image is too bright. It feels like my eyes/brain are adjusting to the DLP experience all over again (aka headache/eyestrain).

Those DC3 blacks sure do glisten. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.