AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't see anyone post this question yet but if someone has recently my apologies.

This isn't a "I like the sound of these" thread.

I want to know what you feel are the most Accurate speakers for 5k or less.

That means the least amount of coloration, adding very little to the music, but still conveying all of the parts of the music. If someone has already taken your choice pick another one that you feel comes really close. If you don't know the exact model then give the companies name.

I hear one particular company all the time but I don't want to steal anyones thunder.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Its very much dependent upon the listener, the electronics, and the room.

A system that accurately reproduces a kick drum may be a bit weak in modeling a violin's sound, and vice versa.

Revel probably spends more time trying to make their speakers accurate, than most companies, does that count? Not necessarily... but its certainly not a minus.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
There is no such thing as an accurate speaker, one reason being there's no agreement on what an accurate speaker should do.

For instance should it have flat frequency response on axis or flat power response into the room?

What should the dispersion pattern be? Having determined a supposedly ideal pattern how is it achieved? Can it? Or does the designer not even try to control directivity? (The usual)

Which is more accurate, the better transient response of an acoustic suspension woofer or the lower distortion of a vented one? Hmm?

Do you consider dynamic compression a flaw and form of coloration or not?

What really happens is that engineers design speakers according to many different notions and then all claim that their notion is the "accurate" one.

What happens next is that audiophiles buy whatever speaker has the least flaws that set them off, some people being particularly susceptible to one flaw and some to another. The audiophile then claims that his speaker is the accurate one.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Most of the *truly* neutral speakers aren't the ones you'll usually find mentioned and not the ones you'll find mentioned often in these pages. They are reference grade mastering monitors. These are designed to be ruthlessly neutral without any pretenses of being "musical" or looking good. They tend to have less dynamic compression than most home audio and home theater speakers. They have one job and one job only...produce the signal input into them as accurately as possible without change...that is what you want in a reference grade monitor and honestly not always what people want at home. Here are some good ones...

They are a bit over $5K but a pair of PMC IB-1 mid field monitors would be one of my first choices. Very neutral. In use and highly accepted in quite a number of top studios. Hugely dynamic. Exceptional midrange neutrality. The drawback is that to avoid dynamic compression you need to hit them with a boatload of power...preferably biamped or triamped. Bryston is the logical amp to use since they were designed with Bryston amps and Bryston was designed with PMC speakers.

Dynaudio AIR 20 Digital Master (master/slave pair). These require a digital input (preferably) but they are self powered so you save on amplifiers. The drawback for home use...they need digital inputs. There are only a handful of preamp/processors with digital speaker outputs (Meridian and Theta are two that come to mind).

Danley Labs SH-100B. Probably the most dynamic of all the above. Very neutral. Tapped horn subs built in. These will do about 129 db, so dynamic compression isn't even a remote concern. These have the advantage of a very controlled dispersion, so they work very well as an L/C/R in a reference grade 5.1 setup with the SH-100's as surrounds. They like horsepower but can run well on a solid 200-300 per channel.

There are others, but they tend to either run way more (like Adam's, the bigger PMC IB-2's and MB-2's and the big KRK's and Genelec's) or they are much smaller and while accurate...they lack dynamic range.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This was a harder question to answer than I had anticipated. Goes to show you how much I still have to learn.

There have been a lot of "what should I buy for this much money" threads so I thought that I would put a bit of a twist on it. But I DO want speakers that color the sound as little as possible.

I suppose I'm in the auditioning stage again. I had my heart set on a new pair of Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8s (and I may still get them) but I stopped myself and thought that I was rushing into it without listening around first.

I don't want to just listen to speakers at random. When I spend time with a speaker its for over an hour so I wanted to narrow it down a bit.

I guess i should let people know that these will be in medium sized room (12x25 firing into the long end), but may possibly be moved into an even smaller room in the future(12x13).

I'm a music guy. I don't care about HT. I want accurate vocals more than anything else I would say. I listen to a wide variety but vocals(female) are the most important in the sound for me.

I actually currently own 3 studio 100s and 2 studio 20s. And your right Jack, they are great speakers. But I am looking for something even more detailed with less coloration. Someone else put it like this "that something special category".

Soundood, can those speakers be auditioned just like other high end audio? Do they sell them in boutiques?

Scanspeak, can you, or someone else expain "linear phase design".

Looks like I have a lot of auditioning to do.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaka /forum/post/0

I suppose I'm in the auditioning stage again. I had my heart set on a new pair of Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8s (and I may still get them) but I stopped myself and thought that I was rushing into it without listening around first.

these are exactly the speakers i was going to recommend. if i had a $5k budget, i'd get the Gibbon Super 8 in a flash. if i had a bigger budget, i'd go for the Silverback Reference.

oh, apparently there's a Gibbon 9 coming out soon, too, so you may want to look into that.

you also might want to check out the Living Voice Avatars.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gotta throw in a pair of Vandersteen 3A Sig's. You could also add in one 2Wq Sub and hit your price point and add another 2Wq down the road. A pair of 3A Sig's with a pair of 2Wq subs and you've got a real nice setup for the money.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you have a small room, the AE1 MkIII (around $4k/pr.) are tough to beat, very revealing through the mids and forgiving on the highs. They are in the 'monitor' class and are used by many artists for mastering with complex track arrangement where you really need to hear into the music (Roger Waters comes to mind). And, of course, B&W is used in mastering a lot of classical music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaka /forum/post/0

I did a search and didn't see anyone post this question yet but if someone has recently my apologies.

That means the least amount of coloration, adding very little to the music, but still conveying all of the parts of the music. If someone has already taken your choice pick another one that you feel comes really close. If you don't know the exact model then give the companies name.

I hear one particular company all the time but I don't want to steal anyones thunder.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

Quote:

Typically, the speakers that people "like" are going to be the ones they describe as "accurate". Accuracy with reference to an input signal would requiring knowing/measuring such. One would expect that a flat FR might be a good place for an "accurate" speaker to start.

"Accuracy" to some aural memory is what most people are referring to when they subjectively determine a speaker is "accurate".

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/0

Typically, the speakers that people "like" are going to be the ones they describe as "accurate". Accuracy with reference to an input signal would requiring knowing/measuring such. One would expect that a flat FR might be a good place for an "accurate" speaker to start.

"Accuracy" to some aural memory is what most people are referring to when they subjectively determine a speaker is "accurate".

the bigger point is one that's already been brought up... that speaking of "accurate" speakers is nearly impossible because room acoustics will always come into play.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.