AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the DVD players reviews from Secrets, I could not imagine that there are so many ugly-designed DVD players, especially the players made from the so-called "no-name" brands. However, I also noticed some of the most aesthetically-attractive players I had ever seen, including the Panasonic and Samsung models.

What attractive or ugly-designed DVD players you have come across?

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
IMHO, the Pannys are some of the ugliest players in existence. They all look chinsey. Any of the new wave of silver-painted 1" tall plastic players with chrome accents also look cheap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the most unique would probably be the Ayre DX-7 and D-1x. Those monolithic white components sure are eye-catching (so is the price). Overall though, I really like the look of Harman Kardon components, very nicely done.

OT, but what's everyone's take on the silver paint scheme that seems to be the rage these days? Reminds me of the late 70's early 80's when everything was silver.

·
Registered
445 Posts
IMO it's tough to beat Arcam in the looks department. The downside is that once you have several Arcam components in your system, it's difficult to add other gear, because it looks out of place...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
One of the best is the Denon 5900 and the old Pioneer 38a. Pioneer 59a looks good also.

One of the ugliest is the new silver denon 3910.You will swear you have a kitchen appilance sitting on you equipment rack!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The black RP91 is very solid and looks like quality. Its also got these cool bars and lights on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
from what i see, the Arcam DV27 looks attractive to me. Even the name sound interesting. But most importantly of all, its an awesome dvd player for video performance, same could be said for its audio performance too. But for $3 grand, I will pass. I am waiting for Blu Rays and AOD and will buy one for a smaller fraction of the price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
LOL, what an interesting thread.

I think the Toshiba sd-9200 is one of the most elegant yet rugged looking AV pieces out there. And its one of the first DVD players I had ever seen that had the blue LED indicator, which is extremely tasteful when its done right (small on the toshiba, as opposed to huge and overly bright like a lot of newer ones.)

Ugliest...the newer panasonic changers...they look like those cheap fake-components they have furniture stores. Those cheap green LEDs have got to go.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.