AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cheap $60 sub was recommended to me in another thread that seemed like a great value based on performance and that got me thinking: What is the most bass for the money ?

Rules: In the spirit of DIY labor is free

All other materials are to be accounted for in cost. This includes drivers, wood, glue etc..

You can estimate wood and glue and material costs as a single amount. Tools required to build are also free

20hz is the measurement frequency; no need for infrasonic or anything too crazy. Measured in SPL @ 20 hz. The cost of the project compared to the SPL is the ratio to maximize.

You can use any driver(s) and design you want just remember you have to pay for them. What's the most bass for your buck ?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Based on your requirements, efficiency and cost are most important.

So a Folded or Tapped Horn would be ideal

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone/0_100#post_24552019

Based on your requirements, efficiency and cost are most important.

So a Folded or Tapped Horn would be ideal

i agree. horns are the bang for buck champ as long as you can deal with the size.

·
Registered
582 Posts
A micro wrecker made with osb and an alpine driver probably produces more theater worthy bass per dollar than any other diy sub.

Reactions: SVonhof and LTD02

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
as far as something practical that you might actually build and want to listen to, the 1260/1262 driver in a 6 cubic foot ported cab tuned to 20hz with about 500 watts of power is about as good as it gets bang for buck AND lowest total cost.

that will give you somewhere around 115db at 1m 2pi space.

another option is the si 18ht woofer, which sounds like it may be coming back, in a 12 cubic footer tuned to around 19hz with about 1100 watts of power. that is more or less a martysub! and is great bang for the buck.

that will give you somewhere around 119db at 1m 2pi space.

if you just want to try to win the competition, something goofy like a 6th order bandpass with the 1262w driver and 500 watts might get you up to about 119-120db at 20hz, but not something anybody would really want.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
"A micro wrecker made with osb and an alpine driver probably produces more theater worthy bass per dollar than any other diy sub."

an excellent suggestion as well.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I can't top what LTD02 put up, so perhaps a different approach.

If it's something you have to live with, I'd suggest a manifold IB, with (4)Fi-IB3-18, and an EP4000. Getting the four driver discount and the Behringer at a great price, put the entire thing around $1300, which easily puts all four 18"s at full 30mm excursion.

Nice quality and nice quantity of bass.

Not too long ago, AE offered their superb 15" IB driver at $100 apiece! Quite likely the finest IB driver available, priced so one could employ a set of 8, @$800 ... unbelievable. Many fine IBs were so built, not intended to be budget oriented, it's just the driver was so unbelievably inexpensive to begin with.

Maybe for the purposes of this contest, I'd try out 8 or even 16 of the Alpine or Infinity drivers, in an overhead IB alignment ... w/INuke power.

Considering the 20hz contest metric, I'd high pass just below, so no wasted effort went toward infrasonics.

I know it's cheating not modeling with real numbers, but wth, I'm on my phone.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
You can use any driver(s) and design you want just remember you have to pay for them.

It would have been fun but the 1260-2 is the most budget friendly I can think of, but then there's a lot of drivers out there.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone/0_100#post_24554265

It would have been fun but the 1260-2 is the most budget friendly I can think of, but then there's a lot of drivers out there.

Why is this driver so cheap ? I modeled one and it looked great.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone#post_24555122

Why is this driver so cheap ?

Asian 12" car audio sub offered by the largest entity in audio.

Their buying power is extraordinary ... they've got a mammoth chunk of the oem car market, in addition to all the brands we know (JBL, H/K, Infinity, AKG, dbx, Crown, Lexicon, Soundcraft, Studer, Revel, Mark Levinson, etc). No dogs there.

All said, it would come as no surprise that their w/their Asian mfg partners, they can offer a well executed $60 sub.

(16)12" subs for $1k, four sets of four ... employed however one chooses, that appears to be some serious value there.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone#post_24555882

If you think the 1260/2 is a good value, how about upping it to a cast frame 15 for $90.

JBL GTO1514

I'm using 2 of them ATM.

Well isn't that interesting........

·
Registered
11,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stogie  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone#post_24555898

Erich has a couple MFW-15 on close out and that driver fits perfect in a THT thats a lot of noise for the dollar

Mike

I have a couple on the way, and some boxes from PE. Build thread coming. NU3000DSP already here!

Michael

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone/0_100#post_24555435

Asian 12" car audio sub offered by the largest entity in audio.

Their buying power is extraordinary ... they've got a mammoth chunk of the oem car market, in addition to all the brands we know (JBL, H/K, Infinity, AKG, dbx, Crown, Lexicon, Soundcraft, Studer, Revel, Mark Levinson, etc). No dogs there.

All said, it would come as no surprise that their w/their Asian mfg partners, they can offer a well executed $60 sub.

(16)12" subs for $1k, four sets of four ... employed however one chooses, that appears to be some serious value there.

That is the premise when I designed the Dual Opposed sub based on the 1260/1262's. You put 4 of those in a room and start hitting 20Hz at 110dB co-located.

That's for ~$1K all in: Amp, wood, glue, drivers.

Reactions: Mfusick

·
Registered
21,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone/0_50#post_24555882

If you think the 1260/2 is a good value, how about upping it to a cast frame 15 for $90.

JBL GTO1514

I'm using 2 of them ATM.

nice pull.

the spec sheet on that one shows coil height at 37mm and top plate at 8mm, and xmax at 14.5, so that is geometric. the 70% bl point is probably closer to 1/3 gap or about 17mm total. heck of a bargain for $90 that seems to work well in smallish sealed enclosures to boot.

http://www.jbl.com/resources/brands/jbl/products/productrelateddocuments/en-us/boxesandparameters/gto1514td.pdf

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern  /t/1525176/most-bass-for-the-what-is-it-design-contest-anyone/0_100#post_24555882

JBL GTO1514

I'm using 2 of them ATM.

Do you have a build thread? I would love to check them out. You have to love Infinity / JBL for having everything from $60 to $600 and generally being solid values all along the way.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts