AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, there has been plenty of talk about who makes the most comfortable home theater recliners, but which theater seat, (like what you would see in a movie theater) is the most comfortable in your opinion?

Craig :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just went to CES and I sat in Theater seats made by Pullman. They were well built and extremely comfortable. I warn you though. I do not like chairs like berkline ,They are to soft for me.

I also sat in the new Salamander chairs that look cool but boy are they uncomfortable.

There was also a chair by a company that I will look up and post later. Acoustic Innovations was going to sign this guy to a deal. They were more movie chair like and not expensive with chair holders and all but once Acoustic Innovations get a hold of him they will go up/ I will post later.

Thier is also a website for old theater chairs that you could have painted or redo( or pay them to do. I think it is theater chairs .com or theater seats something like that. I will try later to fing it.

Larry

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks lkosova,

Thanks for the feedback.:)

I am torn between recliner type seats like Berkline 090's or actual theater seating.

If I get the Berklines, I know I will be sleeping as much as movie viewing. :rolleyes:

Traditional theater seats give the room the look of a movie theater, but sacrifice comfort. If I get theater type seating, they are going to have to be comfortable.

Anyone else out their have chairs they feel are comfortable?

Craig :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lkosova
I just went to CES and I sat in Theater seats made by Pullman. They were well built and extremely comfortable. I warn you though. I do not like chairs like berkline ,They are to soft for me.

I agree with too soft - I did think the Berkline 090's were fairly comfortable. I ended up with Jaymar 56000 and they are nice and firm with good lumbar support.

Quote:
I also sat in the new Salamander chairs that look cool but boy are they uncomfortable.

I agree with this also - I got a chance to sit in them earlier this week - no suport whatsoever - yuk IMO.

Enjoy!

Dennis

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure if you have Sofa Express in MI or not. Yes, as sofa store with quality theater seats. They have a line of theater seats that are VERY comfortable & reasonably priced.

·
Registered
25,022 Posts
Craig,

I think the comfort/ look /support/ cost are all things that have to go into the mix.

After I got my AI seats I was a little disappointed that they seemed very stiff compared to the Berklines. I originally had couches in my theater and fell asleep all the time. The AI stiffness is good ,I know now, since it translates into support but not so soft that it makes you want to sleep. The problem is I don't know that you really notice this until about forty five minutes or so in the same spot.

I'll be honest, they were the only seats I'd sat in so that is why I chose them. Additionally there are many many more choices and options now than four years ago in HT seating.

Art

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by suffolk112000
OK, there has been plenty of talk about who makes the most comfortable home theater recliners, but which theater seat, (like what you would see in a movie theater) is the most comfortable in your opinion?
Comfort's definitely a personal choice - all I can say is that you should spend at least an hour in whatever seat you're seriously looking at buying. A lot of seats will feel comfortable for the 2-3 minutes that most would probably spend trying out a seat, but try for a longer period and your feelings might change.

I ended up buying Jaymars myself. Great support (not mushy) without being "too hard" (IMHO). Build quality is reasonably good as well.

Kal

·
Registered
900 Posts
lkosova,

How much do the Pullman line run? Also, does anyone have an idea what the Jaymars should go for? I'd like 8 chairs and I don't want to be surprised with the cost...

Danny

·
Registered
900 Posts
Danny,

Off of an "old" retail sheet the "two arm units" with manuel recline are about $2,000 to $2600 for leather. Grade one being $2,000 and grade 3 being $2,600. For the loveseats..$3900 to $4900 . But Pinnacle seude is around $1440 chair and $2800 for the love seats.

This is without discounts. You will be getting discounts for 8 chairs.

They deliver to you and set up.

If you have any other [email protected]

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
A perfect thread for "Buy the ones I bought, tastes great, less filling."

Salamander has three different chair models to choose from, one of which is very firm and comfortable.

Theater type seats are quite different from recliners. Irwin seating makes several different models of theater type seats.

A big issue in choosing seating is chair width. We have four recliners in our HT front row. From outside arm to outside arm, they take up about 134 inches in an arc. I own five of these but only four would fit the new HT in the front row. The fifth became a lobby chair.

The second row is an arc of eight Irwins which take up about 22 inches per chair. With recliners in the second row, I would have lost three seats.

If you want to sleep or fool around (boy I wish I had this set up many years ago), the recliners are really neat. For serious viewing of the screen, go for the rear seats. Actually most of the time my wife and I and our dog occupy three of the front recliners for both movie and sports viewing. The wedges between each recliner are great for the remotes, snacks, cigars (the dog smokes), pipes (one of my best friends smokes a pipe), lighter and ashtray.

For the theater type seats, there is but a cup holder.

Another consideration. For recliners go for motorized. Not because one is too lazy to recline but because most HT type recliners do not lock in many positions. With a motor you can stop the recline at any position. A full recline will put most to sleep.

Also I imagine the ability to lock at any angle would be useful if you decide to fool around.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It appears that Mark has given a significant amount of thought to the "fooling around" aspects of home theater chairs. I wonder if Berkline knows about this particular niche market.... :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.