AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I would love to buy a Pio Elite 50", the thought of spending >$3K right now on a TV does not set to well with me. However, I do want to consider the move to a FP but in a more cost-effective manner. My current set is a Sony 32" XBR that I am quite happy with. Here is my criteria for a reasonable (for me) purchase. Recommendation desired and appreciated...

1) 50" plasma

2) 1080i (my viewing distance does not warrant or take advantage of 1080p)

3) Excellent viewing angle (I guess that would imply sets that have excessive "double image" when viewing at an angle are not so good)

4) Calibration capability within about 90% or so of the best Pio and Panny have to offer (both color and greyscale) - without voiding anybody's warranty!

5) Watchable in daytime ambient (indirect) lighting. Shades will be drawn during the day, but there is still a bit of ambient light.

6) Reliable!

7) Bottom line is something at cost between $1-$2K that can give me on the order of 90% or so of the leading models. Decision (within reason) will be in favor of lower price.

And I hate to throw it in, but at this price range would I be better off with a LCD?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Panny 50px75u or the Sammy 5054 both can be had for about 1300 from frys but these are both 720p wich should be fine anyways.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinmann /forum/post/12998252

Panny 50px75u or the Sammy 5054 both can be had for about 1300 from frys but these are both 720p wich should be fine anyways.

Agree, also the Hitachi P50S601 is a 1080i set in the 1.7k to 1.9 k range. This weekend you should be able to get something nice (top tier brand) for

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you like the 50" Kuro Elite, you'll like the 50" Kuro non-elite. And that could be had for around $2k. It's a solid TV and is almost identical to the Elite except that you can't access the fine color controls of the Elite via the user menu. I started another post in here looking for justification to go to the Elite from the non-elite (5080 -> 1150) and I just couldnt justify it. This set, so it's been said by many) can be calibrated to perform very close to the Elite set. From looking at a few elites, and having had my tv for the past 3 weeks, i can't tell the difference, at the very least, i can't tell a $1000 difference. The Elite symbol is nice though
but to me it was nothing more than a binky.

Anyways, it's pretty well known that this set outperforms all other 720p sets out there as far as black levels, processing, etc, and even most 1080p sets. I personally wouldnt get a $2,000 1080p set, cuz you won't get what you're want. IMO, you need to get up towards the 3k range to get a nice 1080p...which is a moot point anyways cuz you said you dont need 1080p.

IMO, i wouldnt go LCD either, cuz i hate motion blur, the matt screen, the washed out colors. There are some nice LCD's out there, but not for your price range at 50"

As far as reliability is concerned, you can't beat Pio... maybe panny, but even then.....

I can see my TV in full clarity at 179 degrees. Since it's a single pane of glass, there is no "double vision" that can be seen on other plasmas. This was one of my biggest concerns as well and this set is as good as it gets.

I watch my tv mostly at night, but have no problems with it in daylight. I dont have direct sunlight coming into my house but it does get pretty bright. My gf likes to turn on all the lights, including the "Death Ray" as i call it. It's a 4 bulb, 100w lightcannon. I hate it, but my TV doesnt mind.

I'd say it's a no brainer 5080HD. IMO, it's the best bang for your bucks...and trust me...i researched until my head exploded....and will continue to do so even after my purchase.

hope this helps...good luck

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phorts, this is great news. Can the full RGBCMY controls be accessed on the 5080 service menu? I was shying away from the 5080 because of the whole "you will void the warranty" thing.

The other point about daytime viewing is also interesting. Are you feeling that in this environment there is no washout or dulling of the image?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just purchased the Vizio VP50 50" plasma from Costco for $1199 and so far it is great. HD looks stunning, SD looks like SD....but better on this set then a few other plasmas I have seen at friends houses. 720P/1080i, bright, great viewing angles...and cheap! Might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
How many sources will you have feeding this TV?

Since you are concerned about reliability and want maximum adjustability, the industrial Panny 50PH10UKA may be what you are looking for. The prices at forum sponsor Visual Apex (click the picture at the top) are pretty dynamite.

This model doesn't have a built-in tuner or speakers, and doesn't come with a stand, so if you aren't wall-mounting and don't have an external sound system it might not be right for you.

However, the industrial models are very well-built, extremely reliable with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty, and are going to be more "tweakable" than any consumer set outside of a Pio Elite model.

If you want 50", that pretty much rules out LCD on your budget. You may be able to find a 46" LCD from Samsung or Sharp that works for you.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/13000475

phorts, this is great news. Can the full RGBCMY controls be accessed on the 5080 service menu? I was shying away from the 5080 because of the whole "you will void the warranty" thing.

The other point about daytime viewing is also interesting. Are you feeling that in this environment there is no washout or dulling of the image?

That's a quesiton i'm trying to get definitively answered for myself, but from what i've been told and from what I can find, yes. I have not looked into accessing the service menu, and definitely DO NOT recommend it, because it requires hooking a PC up to it via the console in the back and messing around with stuff i have no idea about. I'm going to leave that to a professional calibrator, in which I will be hiring when the time is right.

Also, not sure about the whole "void the warranty" thing, but i'm not sure how they can prove you accessed the menu. I'm not the one to ask about that.

As far as daytime viewing, the pio holds it's own. I havent brought my tv outside, nor will i ever, so i can't tell you how it reacts under direct sunlight, but from what I can tell, it won't have a problem...

It is on the high end of your budget, but i got mine for 2k from BB +350 for the Extended Warranty. if you want to stay closer to the $1500 range, you might consider the other options listed from the other members...i wouldnt know about those.

good luck!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/13000578

How many sources will you have feeding this TV?

Since you are concerned about reliability and want maximum adjustability, the industrial Panny 50PH10UKA may be what you are looking for. The prices at forum sponsor Visual Apex (click the picture at the top) are pretty dynamite.

This model doesn't have a built-in tuner or speakers, and doesn't come with a stand, so if you aren't wall-mounting and don't have an external sound system it might not be right for you.

However, the industrial models are very well-built, extremely reliable with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty, and are going to be more "tweakable" than any consumer set outside of a Pio Elite model.

If you want 50", that pretty much rules out LCD on your budget. You may be able to find a 46" LCD from Samsung or Sharp that works for you.

batpig, unfortunately a number of things you listed are on my "wants" list (tuner, stand) so the Panny Pro may not be the best option for me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorts /forum/post/13000692

That's a quesiton i'm trying to get definitively answered for myself, but from what i've been told and from what I can find, yes. I have not looked into accessing the service menu, and definitely DO NOT recommend it, because it requires hooking a PC up to it via the console in the back and messing around with stuff i have no idea about.

Really? I thought you'd be able to access the service menu by some obscure combination of buttons on the remote, like most other brands of TVs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Also, the 5080 has a stand, and a detachable bottom speaker. It's actually quite nice.... I use it for all my TV watching, unless i'm watching NFL or something.

i posted in the calibration forum about the 5080 being able to be calibrated to ISF specs... i'll keep ya posted, or you can head over to the calibration forum..

·
Registered
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/13001013

Really? I thought you'd be able to access the service menu by some obscure combination of buttons on the remote, like most other brands of TVs.

good question, like i said i havent looked into it.... now you got me curious.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This was in response to my question to D-Nice about the limitations of the SM for the 5080 vs the 1150: (Thank you D-Nice)

"The non-Elites only have RGB controls in the SM. You will be stuck with colorspace 1 and you will only have one calibratrion profile while the Elites are capable of multipul (D65, D55, D7K for sports, etc).

And you have to use a specifc key pattern (remote keys) to access the SM."

Now, i asked what colorspace 1 is vs colorspace 2, but appears you dont have access to the CMY controls (colorspace 2?).

As far as voiding the warranty, there's a thread about that here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=void+warranty

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I read that, but there still seems to be some disagreement about things.

The 5080 seems mighty good for the money. Maybe I'll accidentally find my way over to Tweeter later tonight...

·
Registered
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/13002673

Yeah, I read that, but there still seems to be some disagreement about things.

The 5080 seems mighty good for the money. Maybe I'll accidentally find my way over to Tweeter later tonight...

Tweeter only sells the Elites.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts