AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What model Scientific Atlanta HD/DVR is the most current Time warner offers? Are there any new or about to be released. perhaps a dumb question, but will any boxes have 1080P?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think it's still the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD/HDC. Dunno if anything newer came out.

No box will have 1080p, as pretty much 1080i is the best you'll get from cable, satellite, or OTA. I don't even think Japan has anything better than 1080i, and they tend to get the new stuff way before North America or Europe or anywhere else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Like you said, a few extra features, but nothing I have to have. PQ looks to be identical.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
TWC is hoping to deploy Samsung SMT-H3090 HD-DVR's to replace the current SA boxes. Those are at EOL (End of Life). I'm sure the divsions are testing these to make sure they work perfectly.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Looking to find out from other TWC customers. I talked to a Tech guy today at TWC, He said that the current DVR's hold 40 hours of HD programming. Not to doubt him but it wasn't that long ago that 20 was the estimate. Anyone know for sure, I will be buying an HDTV soon.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The 40 hour estimate is for the Samsung with a 320 GB HDD. A 160 GB HDD will hold about 20 hours of HD. Maybe more if they overcompress the signal. The 320 GB Samsung hasn't been deployed yet but divisions are testing them. If you can't get the Samsung then just get an HDC box.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I like the look of the Samsung DVR. I can't stand the SA boxes and their gray housings.

Yes, I am that anal.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The most current Samsung boxes are now the SMT-H3260 HD-STB and the SMT-H3270 HD-DVR. Though there are divisions that have just started deploying the 3090 DVR.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think the 3260 is being deployed in San Diego. It's very much a non DVR version of the 3270. The 3270 I don't know when it's going to be deployed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does anyone know if these new Samsung SMT-H3090 boxes have the SATA port so that we can add our external hard drives as we have been doing with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD or 8300HDC's.

Thanks!

Rob.

PS I've been trying to find a manual that shows the back of the box so I can see what ports are there, without any luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey,

I was looking on here for info on the new dvr I just picked up, its the samsung smt-h3270. I didn't realize how new these were, but I can verify they are deploying them in durham, north carolina. The menu looks the same as the 8300hd dvrs and I can't really tell a difference in performance, but they certainly look better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on this information?

I currently still have the 8300HD and I have to believe there's something better by now. I also have DirecTV at another house (work keeps me between locations) and the differences in the boxes' capabilities are night and day.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Cisco (who bought Scientific Atlanta) has the 8600 box now. Dunno what Samsung has.

Set top boxes don't progress as much as other consumer electronics. Most people keep theirs for years at a time, especially if they've recorded videos on the DVRs, and most new features are deployed by software from the cable company. But you can stop by a local office and ask what they have.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I'm curious. What is the current rental fee for a HD DVR? And do you need one for each set?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts