AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, if I had any complaint about my PSB Stratus Golds is that they are a little too laid back. I listen to some music with incredible dynamics (Mogwai, for example) and it would be nice to get some real big slam.

What do you think are some of the most musically dynamic speakers?

·
Registered
793 Posts
My current speakers, the Gallo Reference III's are incredibly dynamic. They get plenty loud without distorting (somewhat amp dependent), and do the quiet stuff very well too.

Stay away from most planars. They either compress the low end (Magnepans) or the louder end (Quads).

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You may want to listen to high SPL speakers like Klipsch, say over 92dB/W sensitivity. But the fact that you like PSB Stratus makes me think that Klipsch may sound too rough. If PSB is just a little bit laid back, I would look for speakers with some professional-origin drivers such as ATC and PMC. PMC is especially dynamic when the tier gets up to 3-way ones like IB/MB/BB range.

I got mine with legendary ATC SM75/150 soft-dome midrange driver around $4500 from

www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk .

That included shipping and custom tax, but the exchange rate may be a little bit worse these days.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Von Schweikert VR-4JR's are neutral and extremely dynamic.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
As are Revel F32's (neutral & dynamic). They aren't efficient, however, they'll play with plenty of dynamics, but they need proper amplification to do their best.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Axiom

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. Seems like they still match up with my wishlist speakers:

Dynaudio

VMPS

Von Schweikert

Revel

Totem

Andy K.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mogwai!! Yes, finally some good music around here. If only they had something in SACD or DVD-A.

Godspeed you black emperor and Explosions in the sky would be some other greats as well.

All the above sound great and very dynamic on my M&Ks.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
are you looking for a pair for $5k?

Seth

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Legacy Focus? Ariel 10Ts? NHT T6s?

Or, what about a high-end sub/sat like Triad, where you get the deep bass kick, but refined and detailed satellites?

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Legacy Focus? Ariel 10Ts? NHT T6s?

Or, what about a high-end sub/sat like Triad, where you get the deep bass kick, but refined and detailed satellites?

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
My SPL Runts are as dynamic as I have heard and can be had for about $5K. If you want dynamics, horns are the best way to go. The SPL Runt uses a large compression driver and 2 beefy 8" woofers in a monitor sized (but heavy) cabinet. Playing the fight scene from Open Range is a crowd pleaser in my theater as the gun shots are powerfully dynamic!

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp
Jeff, would you say those speakers are a good choice for 2-channel music playback though?
No. I wouldn't have these as 2 channel. The strength of these is dynamic range and all else theater related. Unless the room is treated acoustically, these could come across as hard sounding.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.