AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I look to my futre, I see myself owning a projector or LCD/PLASMA widescreen display. My interests are minimal power consumption and ease of use for both film (SVHS/VHS/LD and DVD) and for TV.

What are the most efficient large screen, widescreen (1.78-1.85:1) technologies out there? Are projectors super power hungry? Are LCD's the most efficient? LCD displays or projectors? Plasma?

I ask this because I though the most convenient thing for TV and movies would be to have a conventional TV and have a draw down screen that just comes down right in front of the TV and use a line-doubler and projector for movies. But then I thought LCD displays are the least power hungry display devices.

So what are the least power hungry displays? (comparing similar or equal sizes of course).

[This message has been edited by cpc (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Digital projectors are the most power efficient. 130-160 watts gets you 60-100' diagonal screen. In addition to this, you would extinguish room lighting which would actually mean the projector is a net win, energy wise.

Gary

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Gary,

Not all digital projectors are created equal. My D-ILA draws 650 watts in continuous operation and much more than that during start-up.

I've recently been researching the next generation of flat-panel displays based on OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diodes) and the polymer OLEDs used are still in development yet already produce over 3 lumens per watt. A factor of ten in efficiency increase is likely. By the time they are ready for prime-time (5 years), even a 100" display would be possible and still only draw 100 watts. Something to look forward to. Their relative lack of complexity in manufacture should also mean cheap relative to flat-panels based on LCD or Plasma.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

[This message has been edited by dreamer (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have guessed the LED would be in the mix for future products. I have already seen and held in my hand an LED light bulb that gives out as much light as a 60 watt bulb, but it only draws, get this, .35 watts! Yep.

That is interesting. I should look into the various areas of the research technology. I hope that the electronics industry takes the energy problems of the world seriously and continues to increase the efficiencies of electronics products of all kinds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.