AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most expensive in-ear headphones available?

What are the most expensive over-ear headphones available?

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Thats easy. Everyone who knows headphones knows which ones are most expensive ever made: Sennheiser HE90/HEV90 aka "Orpheus" . The combo of electrostatic headphones and a tube amp used to cost around $15k and the headphones alone about half of that. As far as I know it's discontinued now, as are many other awesome headphones that sold for over $1k, including the sony mdr-r10 pictured above,

sony qualia 010

audio technica l3000

akg k1000

grado ps-1

and others.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
why does it matter? shouldnt you go by what you like the sound of, and not the price tag?

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/15540904

They were just announced literally days ago, but the Sennheiser HD800 is their new flagship dynamic headphones at $1399

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=500319

Of course, you have the current bunch of Stax headphones too which vary in price from hundreds to a few thousand if you factor in the amp you need to drive them.

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/ExportProducts.html

very interesting - ring radiator design...wonder how it sounds..

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
what is the most expensive piece of equipment that the most expensive head/in-ear phone will connect to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Horribly silly thread, as a headphone business owner and long time enthusiast your not going to get anywhere with these questions. If you're actually looking to pick up some quality headphones you need to start with two highly regarded phones the HD-650 from Sen and the Grado GS-1000 (or RS-1). These are very much on different ends of the spectrum, whichever phones you prefer will give you a good starting point for choosing the right headphones for you. I can give you a head start and tell you IMO the Grado series provides a warm, front seat concert feel, and the HD-650 are a more rounded headphone aiming towards audio reproduction.

Also I should add you could have the best or most expensive (two different things mind you) headphones in the world and they'll sound like crap if your not plugging them into the right equipment.

Check out Head-Fi forums, you will find a lot of contradicting information since everyone has sound preferences. You'll need to read a lot of different reviews/opinions to give you the best unbiased idea, but I'd say that's the most wealthy online headphone information databases around. The first is personal experience.

If you were just asking this question to be silly, then you did a good job

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproie /forum/post/15564035

My head.

My friend I loved your reply!!!!!!!!!

I have just put down a deposit on the up and coming release of the Sennheiser HD 800 in April / May.

I hav'nt had a demo yet, but credit to them is this' they are a trusted brand that have consistantly produced quality product's that can be relied upon to produce the goods....German build quality assured.

I am biased ''I will grant you that'' But have always been a loyal Senn customer.........and own the HD 600 / 650 already, of which are great products.

Hope you are well and enjoying the fruits of your labour sir?

Sincere and Honest Regards

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile /forum/post/15560706

why does it matter? shouldnt you go by what you like the sound of, and not the price tag?

Hello and good day to,

Have just read your reply ''which quite frankly I totally agree with''

I use headphones after a certain time in the evening and this is for privacy reasons, as well as the fact that I get closer to the music when I am in that zone, knowing that I am not disturbing anyone especially after about 23:00.

I have always searched for quality in all things ''I am a very private person who keeps things to myself AV wise'' I have worked damn hard for all that I have, of which is personal...The satisfaction I get when I have finally paid for something and then using the hardware for the very first time is ''quite frankly priceless''

I have been a loyal Sennheiser customer for at least 11yrs now and love the fact that their headphones sound great with no matter what material you through at them.....If you are happy with a manufacturer then you are happy........It's simple really.

I have recently placed a deposit on the HD 800's and not because they are expensive, but only for the sound quality.

These headphones will take about 5 months to pay for, and in the meantime will be looked after by the retailer until paid for.

My way of looking at things in life is this; if you want quality and you value yourself on a personal level, you aim for things that you can reasonably achieve. Yes there may be sacrifices at times in purchasing these things but the appreciation for what you've worked hard for is far greater.

Thank you for your comments

Genuine and Honest / Humble regards

Mark

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedaze39 /forum/post/15564277

Horribly silly thread, as a headphone business owner and long time enthusiast your not going to get anywhere with these questions. If you're actually looking to pick up some quality headphones you need to start with two highly regarded phones the HD-650 from Sen and the Grado GS-1000 (or RS-1). These are very much on different ends of the spectrum, whichever phones you prefer will give you a good starting point for choosing the right headphones for you. I can give you a head start and tell you IMO the Grado series provides a warm, front seat concert feel, and the HD-650 are a more rounded headphone aiming towards audio reproduction.

Also I should add you could have the best or most expensive (two different things mind you) headphones in the world and they'll sound like crap if your not plugging them into the right equipment.

Check out Head-Fi forums, you will find a lot of contradicting information since everyone has sound preferences. You'll need to read a lot of different reviews/opinions to give you the best unbiased idea, but I'd say that's the most wealthy online headphone information databases around. The first is personal experience.

If you were just asking this question to be silly, then you did a good job

For a person with only 12 posts do you have to be so condescending?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well, it is interesting to probe the price limits of the marketplace. In itself, it is interesting to note how much some are willing to pay for a certain type of product. On the other end of the spectrum, it is interesting to note that you can pay as little as $1 for a set of headphones. Where in the range of $1 to $10k will your next purchase fall? How much are you willing to pay for each improvement in headphone audio quality? Should you buy one headphone for $300 or buy two at $150 (in case one breaks)? I think these are the questions one asks about price, without concern for product performance.

Personally, I spend more time under headphones than all my other speaker systems combined. Still, I found it psychologically difficult to pay more than $100 for headphones. That they sound MUCH better than any of my speakers did not change my mind, it was hard to plunk down the money. When I bought my last speakers, I paid $1k without worrying too much. Pretty interesting, eh? There is a psychology behind product pricing that has nothing to do with audio quality.

Anyway, that is why I think it is legitimate to ask about PRICE, independant of all other things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts