AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I would use the search tools but im new to HT and dont know all the names of speakers,anyways whats the most highest QUAILTY speakers that money could buy?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is this for real? How's about

Wilson Audio

Alexandria X-2 $125,000 per pair :eek:

Watch Center $5,750

Watch Surround $6,890 per pair

XS subwoofer $18,500

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
welcome to the forum.

I think you'll get a lot more responses in the $ 20, 000 section of this website.

Kharma has a one million dollar 5.1 setup. Wisdom audio also makes some super $$$ speakers.

too many to list. but then there's always the law of diminishing returns. I'd die happy with a Dynaudio confidence based 2 channel setup, and spend the rest of my money on motorcycles :D

edit:- then there's California Audio Labs. ....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't know if you'd get what you paid for but I understand California Audio Technology (CAT) will make you custom designed, cost-is-no-object speakers; you just tell them what you want and they'll build it. I have to think that they'd probably be the most expensive, depending upon what you tell them to build. See California Audio Technology

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out the new Cinema700 from Dynamic Fidelity.

you can see it at dynamicfidelity's website.

I don't think there is anything even close in terms of performance

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Of course not, every speaker designer thinks his stuff is somehow "the best".

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
IMO, you'd get at least two different answers, because I doubt you'd find the most expensive to be the best, or the best to be the most expensive.

Then we'd have to consider what it is you're really talking about. How would they be used: stereo music, surround music, home theater, studio work, etc. Each would likely end up with a different "champion." Plus your tastes are likely to be differnt than mine.

If it's HT/music gear you're after, then the JBL Synthesis Hercules System is the king IMO, but it's only starting at $150,000 and up. ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
OB,

Nice setup!

Do you notice that the sound from your center speaker is lower in height than the X-2's, or is it pretty much the same height across the front?

I've always been curious about this with the Wilson center channel design - it seems to be designed for lower (height) placement than their other speakers.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifiedaudio
OB,

Nice setup!

Do you notice that the sound from your center speaker is lower in height than the X-2's, or is it pretty much the same height across the front?

I've always been curious about this with the Wilson center channel design - it seems to be designed for lower (height) placement than their other speakers.

At the sitting position IMO there is no noticeable difference

Nonetheless Wilson will soon be releasing their next generation center channel which is much larger and meant for use with X-2's, X-1's and Maxx's.

FWIW, there is a gentleman here in the SF Bay Area with five X-2's in his room.

·
Registered
101 Posts
do they make them 750 lbs each just to keep people from stealing them?

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed that just speakers exist.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
You've pretty much described my room.

The X-2's now have MSRP of $135K

You can get a glimpse of my room at
Very Very nice, I love the sound of Wilson's 5.1 :)

You're second person I known has those speaker, the other one is my customer, he short on cash, he willing to give me haft price for the deposit to remodel his mansion, I'll will work for those speakers but my employee work for food. So I turned down the offer, I missed it :(

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Those wison audio speakers may be the best and most expensive in the world but my god are they ugly! Why do they look like that? Why are they yellow? That being said if I win the lottery I will buy em' just to hear what $125,000 will buy in a speaker set. J.H.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H.
Those wison audio speakers may be the best and most expensive in the world but my god are they ugly! Why do they look like that? Why are they yellow? That being said if I win the lottery I will buy em' just to hear what $125,000 will buy in a speaker set. J.H.
Well FWIW, Dave Wilson will do the speaker in any color. These are Ferrari yellow.

Many people do their speakers in Grigio Titanio with Le Mans blue grill cloths (which is BTW the color of Dave Wilson's Ferarri :)

Mine are in Aspen Silver with Parchment gray grill cloths. If you ever saw the speaker you wouldn't think them ugly BUT when the music is playing the speakers are absolutely invisible producing a sound stage like none other

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the start up cost of owning a pair of x2 may be high but if you consider the resell price and years of enjoyment they are not the most expensive.

the most expensive speakers are those you bought them and hooked up for a while but packed them up and stored in your garage. even they cost you $1000 that is money wasted

or if you have been buying crappy ones with very bad reselll value and you upgrade very often to achieve your desired performance. in this case it is expensive

i believe the approach is knowing yourself what sonic performance you prefer against your budget constraints. if you can live with a pair for 10 years+, listening to music on average 2-3 hours per night you know you have bought the right ones irrespective the start up costs are high

there are many buying expensive ones because they have money to burn but not really into this hobby of reproduction of good music. ob is exceptional because he is persistent in this hobby for easily 30 years, has lived thru many equipment and choose sensibly, listening to many friends systems, not just burning money for the prestige. nothing can replace the experience accumulated over these years.

wish i had the time and money to do this.

the art is matching amps to your speakers and, if you can concentrate on hearing microacoustics, the speaker cables

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
No doubt they must be amazing speakers. I said myself I would buy a pair but I'd have to sell my house first. I just didn't think they were pretty looking speakers. The only thing though in speakers that matters is sound. I was just joking around. So you bought these bad boys? I have two questions. How much better a speaker does $125,000 buy you? Also what king or warranty do you get with it? Ok two more. How much do you think it actually cost them to build? Where are they made? Thanks J.H.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
if you can live with a pair for 10 years+, listening to music on average 2-3 hours per night you know you have bought the right ones irrespective the start up costs are high

I agree

Quote:
the art is matching amps to your speakers and, if you can concentrate on hearing microacoustics, the speaker cables
Also true.

What everyone needs to know about this hobby is that it is a journey and not a destination. Along the way it can become most addicting. I can honestly say that since I replaced my Audio Research Reference 600 Mk lll's with the Lamm ML 2.1's, I have never been so involved with the music as I am now. I never would have imagined that 18 wpc are sufficient to drive these huge 15" drivers on the X-2. And this is coming from amps that were 600wpc

CPU 8088's advice is dead on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.