Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anthem AVM20.......all the way!!!

Not bad considering you don't see a powerful marketing engine behind the product. The Anthem AVM20 is hardly splashed over glossy, shiny magazine pictures. The product and its owners are the priceless ingenuity behind the REAL PERFORMANCE of this gem.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Are you sure you've got the latest issues of Home Theater magazines because I see LOTS of ads for Anthem.

If you're going to give high marks to a company who produces an excellent product but does very little advertising that award would have to go to Snell Acoustics.

Anthony

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'd say that Anthem is one of the most advertised Preamps around. I'd also say that the most sucessful least advertised product ever has to be Magnepan.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I am not reading the right magazines. At most, if any, I only see a sideways strip off the edge of the page that takes up maybe one third of it. Come to think of it, I have never seen a full page or two spread on this PREAMP. I do look at quite a few magazines as well.

It's definitely not like Denon, Yamaha or Pioneer marketing. To be honest, I had never even heard about the AVM20 from magazines when I bought it December last year. It was on these forums that I knew of its existense.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I see full page ads all the time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just saw an add in the May issue of HTM. Granted, it may not have been a full page add, but the resources behind Anthem are fully capable of advertizing their product...and they do. Heck, just about every other page is an add for Paradigm. What is it with you and your Anthem...have you proposed, yet :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't read many mags but have done a lot of web research on separates the last few weeks and the AMV-20 is all over the place. I never heard of them before a few weeks ago but you can't miss them on the forums, on-line stores, audio reviews. My impression is that they are the most visible pre/pro on the internet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
From the thread header, I was thinking of a totally different brand than what you guys are talking about - but I'll leave well enough alone.

;)

Rich B.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
LOL goldear!

I was thinking the same thing! ;) I wonder, did MStanic give the Anthem AVM20 a "pre-pro-sal" hehehe.

"I now pronounce you husband and, well, uh, husband?" :D

By the way, all of these threads about the Anthem are "free" advertising. Anthem (and SVS, Outlaw for that matter) thrive on threads about their products. It's free "viril" advertising at its best. More power to them. It seems to work just fine!

Chris

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:
By the way, all of these threads about the Anthem are "free" advertising. Anthem (and SVS, Outlaw for that matter) thrive on threads about their products. It's free "viril" advertising at its best. More power to them. It seems to work just fine!
There are a few, significant differences. SVS and Outlaw have either dedicated forums or dedicated forum participation by employees of these companies. Anthem has neither. "Advertisement" as you state is purely the result of interest or ownership of Anthem products. That seems to bother some people.

Michael

·
Banned
172 Posts
When I read a lot of posts proclaiming the celestial virtues of one particular brand/product, I have serious doubts as to whether these posts are the product of some creative marketing.

Like the recent hype of the Rockets in the speakers forum. Looks like Rocket hype has come down quite a bit, or the company's marketing budget has dried up.

·
Banned
172 Posts
When I was at a dvd forum, I encountered the same problems there. Certain studio employees would pose as casual consumers, and post rave reviews on clearly inferior movies/DVDs.

Vin Diesel, the star in the movie XXX, comes to mind. Some posters proclaimed this movie to be the great action thriller ever, and that Vin Diesel is Arnold Schwartzneger reborn (he's not dead yet), and someone even suggested that his current pay of $10 million per movie is a gross disservice to this "great actor," and that the studios should tripple this figure.

These kinds of posts just make me sick, and I make it a point NEVER to touch product marketed in such devious ways.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fourseasons,

I would be very surprised to learn any of the discussion here or at HT regarding the AVM-20 were the product of "creative marketing" on the part of Anthem. For some time it was the only product at its price/performance/feature point and then Anthem followed with the promised software and hardware upgrades. They continue with strong customer support. I feel the positive feedback and discussion from owners is well deserved.

Wayne P

·
Registered
51 Posts
I talked to one of the chief engineers at Velodyne regarding the subwoofer market and he seemed to believe that there was a fair bit of consumer manipulation going on on the Internet. Lets say you have a pretty good product, dare I use SVS as an example. You construct it well and it does perform well. Now, this starting as a mom and pop joint you don't have a lot of money for advertising but you've got lots of employees, family and friends with access to the Internet. Heck, you even give several of these people a sub to demo or buy at a cost price. OK, now these people who previously either had no subwoofer or had a $100 special from Costco discover a higher quality bass that really is amazing. The login and start hyping things up. Many people get caught up in the fray and pretty soon everybody is trying to outdo each other with stories that esculate to "I rocked my 10,000 sqr ft off it's foundation, but my earthquake insurance just happened to cover a rebuild until I turned that sub up again and this time the whole house lifted eight feet off the ground!" Oh yea, don't forget to include the cliche catch-phrases like "you could not find a similar performing (fill in the blank) item at five to ten times this price" and "In my over 20 years of listening to music/ht I have never heard something this fine and am definitely hearing things I have never heard before. Another factor that plays into this equation is that most people want to feel proud of a product they buy and justify their cash outlay. Sometimes people even seem to be convincing themselves with comments they make about how great the product they bought are.

Having said all that I do believe SVS does make a good subwoofer and was only using it for illustrative purposes. There are many products out there that represent a very good value with high price/performance ratio but to quote some unknown to me rapper "don't believe the hype" when evaluating a lot of personal reviews from the internet. The best thing is to try and get your hands on as much product as possible and determine from your own critical listening what sounds good. Oh yea, I just remembered a product that fits the hype phenomenon I described above. The Monitor Audio Silver 5 got a very glowing review from Home Theater Magazine or a similar magazine. The authors closing line was "Just buy this....no audition...just buy this and you will thank me later". There was a feeding frenzy of people tripping over themselves (including myself) to get their hands on these speakers. Then in the following months many glowing reviews from owners (proud owner phenominum) then even further down the road some people like myself realized this product had several weakness and really didn't sound that great. Don't dare bring this up on a review site though because you would be tarred and feathered by the devoted "group think" of the rest of the band. OK, this post is getting long winded. I hope you get the gist of what I am saying....Listen and make your own judgment and be real skeptical if any one product is getting an unusually disproportionate number of over the top positive posts. Britton out

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If I were starting a small audio company with no advertising budget I would certainly use forums to generate interest. However, I would also realize that the product has to perform as advertised in order to survive, and if I lied about its performance there would be an inevitable and ruinous backlash.

I have a SVS sub and it is all it is said to be, so in their case no reason to be critical. However I was convinced to buy not by forum comments but by innumerable positive reviews by respected industry veterans, supported by actual measured performance.

Dsmith

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Don't believe the HYPE" --- SNAP

Regardless, too much HYPE, too many POSITIVE reviews and too much constant support of a product will definitely arouse our desire to have the product. In some cases, people will believe that this is the product they must have and will endorse the product even if it may not be the best suited to their environment.

To be honest, it's very, very difficult to be BLOWN away by a particular product. Yes, my AVM20 is the BEST I have had. Yes, it completely outperforms the many flagship receivers that I have had. Yes, I think it is a tremendous sounding product. But BLOWN AWAY...NO....and I don't think even a Theta or Lexicon would BLOW me away. There is just too much technology out there now and most products are very similar once you reach the laws of diminishing return.

They key is in marketing and clever hype. When we covet, there is no coming back.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

·
Banned
172 Posts
And please let me clarify once again, my comments are NOT directed towards the pre/pro/amp market (as I can't afford the really high end stuff, would rather spend the money on good quality speakers).

For a while there I thought I was a freak for questioning this hype thing. Now I feel a little better, with you guys backing me up.

I have bought into a LOT of internet hypes, from rechargeable batteries, to CD's, to DVD's, to mini-systems, to speakers, you name it, I have had my foot in the door. The only hype that really blew me away was my purchase of a pair of Sennheiser 580 headphones. All the other hypes were just that, hypes (and I've unloaded most of them on ebay, while the hype is still on fire).

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Quote:
Oh yea, I just remembered a product that fits the hype phenomenon I described above. The Monitor Audio Silver 5 got a very glowing review from Home Theater Magazine or a similar magazine. The authors closing line was "Just buy this....no audition...just buy this and you will thank me later". There was a feeding frenzy of people tripping over themselves (including myself) to get their hands on these speakers. Then in the following months many glowing reviews from owners (proud owner phenominum) then even further down the road some people like myself realized this product had several weakness and really didn't sound that great. Don't dare bring this up on a review site though because you would be tarred and feathered by the devoted "group think" of the rest of the band.
I am not part of any "band", but I can tell you that I truly love my Monitor Audio Silver 5 Speakers. "Really didn't sound that great"? Are you kidding? I have owned these speakers for more than four years now, and for the money, they are, indeed, very good performing speakers with a tremendous amount of detail. The only thing that they lack is good deep bass, which is certainly not to be expected from a speaker in this price category. Buy a subwoofer!

That being said, I understand there is such a thing as unrealistic internet "hype". But, honestly, this often happens for good reason. The hype normally will not continue if people start buying these products and they turn out to be junk. In the case of both SVS and the Monitor Audio Silver 5 speakers, I think some of the "hype" was, indeed, justified!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.