AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the incredible angle of view advertised (i.e. 178 degrees) I simply assumed that LCD TVs are IPS panels. Obviously I assumed wrong.

So....is there a FAQ somewhere stating which ones are IPS with their true wide viewing angle?

Thanks,

UL

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am an IPS fan out of necessity, on computer monitors anyway. I found I couldn't stand the horizontal viewing angle shift from PVA screens, it literally made me dizzy. TN doesn't but they are pretty bad to look at for vertical viewing angles. I now have an NEC 2490. IPS screen with a special polarizer. It is awesome. Almost like CRT. But for a TV where you don't sit so close, this shouldn't be quite as important.

I went looking at LCD TVs in big box store. Viewing angles in descending order.

The best viewing angles were on a 37" Panasonic with it's IPS Alpha screen.

LG was hit and miss. I think some of their screens are IPS (but not from Alpha, these are LG IPS, I think Alpha IPS is better) some not. The top end (LG 60 and 70) had very good viewing angles as well, the lower end not so much. I think they were different screen types.

Top end Sony/Samsungs were next. These have real Samsung PVA screens that do have decent viewing angles with some center viewing black crush and you can spot the shift.

Worse was the Sharp screens. These are terrible IMO. I don't know how these sell.

These days there is so much panel swapping between brands it is hard to tell what you will get.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/15445695

The Panasonics are the only ones I'm aware of as well.

I'm glad I bought the Panasonic TC-37LZ85. I knew Pannys had that IPS technology on their LCD TVs but I didn't know they were the only one.

Picture stays bright even when I look way off angle with a color picture. I do see it wash out a little from off angle with black-and-white, though. Not much but more than with color.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hitachi sells IPS-Pro TVs up to 47", with 178 degree viewing angles.

not sure how they compare to the Panasonics, although Hitachi invented IPS. I think they don't come from the same fab as the IPS-Alpha panels, since those are 32 & 37" only.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15448158

Hitachi sells IPS-Pro TVs up to 47", with 178 degree viewing angles.

not sure how they compare to the Panasonics, although Hitachi invented IPS. I think they don't come from the same fab as the IPS-Alpha panels, since those are 32 & 37" only.

Hitachi was until mid last year the principle shareholder in IPS-alpha. Since then Panasonic and Canon have increased their stakes, but they're still a major shareholder.

IPS-alpha only make screens up to 37" as they use fairly small mother glass. For screens larger than that, I'd have to conclude that they buy panels from someone else, possibly LG Display.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.

Wow, so it seems that a VERY small percentage of LCD TVs are actually IPS screens? None of the Sony/Samsung/Toshibas etc? This is very surprising.

that said, on our 52" Samsung 650, the off axis angle is remarkably good, with only very slight drop off in color so I thought those were IPS too. Learned something important.

Thanks!

UL

·
Registered
735 Posts
All displays sold are using symmetical viewing cone technology.

IPS means In-Planed Switched.

IPS is ONE of three types of symmetrical viewing displays.

In LCD lingo, all symmetical viewing displays are "surface or switched" mode and NOT standard TN (twisted nematic). The liquid crystal are being switch side to side rather than front to back.

IPS was developed by NEC and is licensed to others.

IPS Alpha is a manufacturer and is probably licensed by NEC

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS /forum/post/15452307

IPS was developed by NEC and is licensed to others.

IPS Alpha is a manufacturer and is probably licensed by NEC

My understanding is that it was Hitachi (and it was Fujitsu who developed VA LCDs). NEC was certainly one of the major users of IPS LCDs in the early days, though.

·
Registered
735 Posts
VA type of symmetrical view- are multi-domain methods of symmetrical viewing. These involve two tilt angles within the lcd cell. Sharp purchased Fujitsu LCD in order to own the technology (there was some patent infringment issues too).

NEC LCDs still exclusively use IPS, although they are not participating in LCD TV sized displays. They have licensed their technology to others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just trying to temporarily resurrect this old thread. I am wondering if anyone knows which specific TV models use IPS-Provectus technology, usually called IPS-Pro? I am not at the moment looking for other types of IPS.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrne /forum/post/16189953

Just trying to temporarily resurrect this old thread. I am wondering if anyone knows which specific TV models use IPS-Provectus technology, usually called IPS-Pro? I am not at the moment looking for other types of IPS.

Panasonic is supposed to have larger IPS models coming, up to 40". That's your best bet, stick with Panasonic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.