AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the most torturous DVDs to test digital projectors? Please also list what you think is torturous about it (contrast test, etc.) and the chapter you feel displays the problem most.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think that sometimes just a "well known" title is best for comparing projectors as opposed to exposing flaws in a device.

As an example, The Fifth Element (SB) scene of Leelu on the ledge shows color, close-up skin tone and motion with the speeding cars below. Although not necessarly a torturous test, it is a very famliar scene to many that can make a better test of comparing differences between displays. I also like the opening chapter of LOTR in the Shire where the green grass and close-up shots can test the color and detail of a pj.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I would offer to start with, but YMMV:

Dark City (black level)

Pearly Harbor (panning hazards)

Moulin Rouge (colors)

·
Registered
859 Posts
One my faves to torture digital projectors with is Pitch Black. There are scenes in that movie that make Dark City look light by comparison. Also, the early part of the movie with the yellow and red suns overhead will reveal if you are crushing white detail rather well, and the scene with the impending eclipse is a great test of shadow detail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most reviewers use the Video Essentials "Montage of Images" chapter. It presents a variety of difficult images sourced both from film and video.

jeh

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Video Essentials is pretty good...it's a great way to test your scaler and deinterlacer.

I like the opening scenes of LOTR, particular of shots of the ring flying in the air or held in Gollum's hand...great rainbow tests!

The beginning scenes in The Two Towers should be great tests for stutter and motion artifacts, because of all the camera pans (Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli running, the pan up the length of the dark tower, etc.). :)

Anime like Spirited Away etc. would be excellent for checking color uniformity and fixed panel noise.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Blade 2 for shadows and rainbows. Try near the end when they are fighting in the sewers. The dark background and white spots bring out the rainbows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some time ago, the ISF people often used the opening scene of Star Trek Insurrection, as it includes a lot of the usual nasties within the first couple of minutes. Note, though, what looks like fairly severe edge enhancement which seems to be part of the disc production.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I heard , believe it or not, adam sandler's the waterboy was good, as it shows color saturation

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Opening to 13 days here.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Moulin Rouge, Chapter 4 and/or 8

4 the dance scene is loaded with every color imaginable, fast motion and is also a torture test for the chroma bug.

8, is about black level. Look for the different shades of black in the lapels of his tux. Brutal and telling. The S2 has opened a can of whupass on a number of much higher priced rivals on this scene... :)

DM

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I looked at a Kenwood dvd test disc that had a Faroudja test section on it. One test was a sequence showing a partial hatch of H and V lines moving diagonally across the frame. All the while, there was a statically located 3-d rotating logo in one corner. The idea was to test the ability of motion adaptive de-inerlacing. We used the Fujitsu 50 plasma with and without an external scaler. The without test showed flicker in the hatch as it moved, since the motion adaption was local, fixing on the rotation and skipping fields with the hatch. the external scaler with global motion adaptive de-inerlacing worked perfectly. Very interesting test. don't know where to get the dvd though; it belonged to my host, ericbee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.