AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, I've read the "favorite" lists. Now, how about those that are over-rated.

At the risk of provoking hysterical attacks upon my virtual person, might I suggest (among recent films) Saving Private Ryan, an entirely formulaic and "Big Hollywood" film whose only "saving" grace is the exceptionally filmed opening sequence. After that, all downhill.

Ok, I'm hiding under my desk now.

- Marc

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I agree totally on Gladiator. A truly mediocre film (in some ways laughable) - probably the "worst" Best Picture since Braveheart (he says, ducking once more...) It LOOKS terrific, though, and it's great to see Richard Harris.

- Marc

·
Registered
578 Posts
Titanic. Good, but definitely overrated. Take away the actual historic event the movie was based on and all you get is a typical melodrama.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Titanic

boat hits iceberg then takes 3 hours to sink.

I just sat there feeling cold and like I should swim or something...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Actually, the other Titanic film, "A Night to Remember" is very good. Sheesh, even "Poseidon Adventure" was far better than "Titanic".

Now that I think of it, we've had a rash of abysmal "Best Pictures" in the past ten years, haven't we? Don't get me started on "Forrest Gump".

- marc

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yea but I bet all of you have the Titanic and Braveheart and Gladiator in your collection.

I love Gladiator picture quality is one I use to show off the projector.

IMO Hugo

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Mblank, these topics should be placed in the DVD software forum! This is the digital projector forum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't know if it made anyone's favorite list but with all the hoopla over "Pearl Harbor", I've seen reference after reference to "From Here To Eternity" as the real version to see.

I rented it last night and was left shaking my head. Poor dialog, a weak story, poor acting, etc., etc.,

I just didn't get it. I'm not a youngster (over 40) and like a good classic movie as much as the rest of you. I dare say that if this movie was released today as a new film, it would get roasted by the critics and the members of this fine forum.

Just for the record.

Saving Private Ryan: have it

Gladiator: have it

Braveheart: have it

Forrest Gump: on order

Titanic: don't have it

Asbestos suit on...

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
512 Posts
The English Patient-Visually stunning but the actors delivered their lines like they were on stage-not natural at all.

Casablanca-great cast but no chemistry at all as far as I'm concerned.

Shakespeare in Love-great script but in every other way inferior to Saving Private Ryan. Miramax bought the Best Picture Oscar. (And don't underestimate Ryan's script-it is more sophisticated then some people seem to realize-think choices and outcomes.)

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Titanic and Gladiator.

My wife, a history major and history teacher, was appalled by the minimal basis in historical fact and myriad errors of historical record in the film. That said, the action sequences were interesting http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

Titanic- proof positive that Academy awards are allocated based on marketing and business drivers, not quality of the craft or art.

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
re: "Maybe some people should get off their high horse and enjoy a movie for what it is. Entertainment. If you had watched the supplementary material on the DVD you would have noticed that the movie was almost entirely fictional. Not based on history."

Just relaying my wife's opinions after we saw the movie last summer. Haven't seen the DVD yet. Maybe she'll change her opinion after seeing the supplements http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

She picks apart the errors in historical or period-piece movies, and I nitpick the bad science and physics errors in sci-fi or action flicks. Go figure.

I actually liked Gladiator as an action-genre movie.

Titanic- neat Cameron-FX, hokey story. I thought I caught a glimpse of the Abyss water-tentacle in one of the water-drenched scenes...

...Oh wait, that was just Leonardo DiCaprio http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Registered
443 Posts
I enjoyed the hell out of Titanic and Gladiator, but not great films.

Worst best movie ever? My vote goes to The English Patient. Over 2 hours of pure pain.

------------------

Steve

STOP DFAST

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Ryan: sucked.

Titanic: sucked.

Gladiator: Boring!

In the these highly rated movies kick ass category:

Lawrence of Arabia... Now that's a movie!

2001: When the red warning light takes up the entire screen and your entire room goes blood red with the reflected light look around and say, "Goddamn! I've got me a home theeyater!"

In the underappreciated movie category:

Kundun: I like to use this movie to show off my HT. Nice music, not whiz bang crash boom but monks chanting make the system sound impressive. Pretty visuals too.

Wind: I'd like to see "WIND" on DVD. It's a totally strange and underrated movie but the visuals are great, and if you're into Yachting, aerodynamics and cranky characters then it's a cool movie. I think it'd be a great DVD, great for a big screen. I wish it had done better so it could be on DVD.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Swampfox: Add Mulholland falls to the Palmetto category o f NEVER WATCH THIS MOVIE!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Definitely Titanic.

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I agree that THE ENGLISH PATIENT is one of the worst "best" pictures! Here are some other movies that are very overrated, in my opinion: RAGING BULL, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, TOM JONES, PLATOON.

I liked GLADIATOR quite a bit and welcomed the return of that genre. I thought TITANIC was okay, but NOT deserving of 11 (??!!) Oscars, including Best Picture.

------------------

Tom

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.