AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the vaunted Sony SA-WM40 with 313 reviews and a 4.58 average compare with Yamaha SW205 which looks better, takes up less space, has an 8" woofer vs. 12" in the Sony, and a digital amp?

Has anyone heard both to let me know?

They're both about $160. They'll only be used for music, which is why I was still considering the Yamaha, since that doesn't have the boom factor straight out of the box. Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Haha, a "subwoofer" that has an 8 inch driver, hilarious.

OH, and you DO know that everything at audioreview gets a favorable review right? I mean have you looked at the list? everything is better then 4 out of 5. EVERYTHING. The site is practically worthless. Don't pay attention to the reviews there.

Personally, I wouldn't get either, they both look like crap. This site says that after modification the sony sub woulnd't be that bad for music though, showing a not too awful frequency response from 35-80hz. But no meaningful response under 35 so probably not a great home theater sub even after modification.
http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/twyatt/pictures.htm

·
Registered
41 Posts
angaria

I really dont think its necessary to be rude and to critisize your selection of subs like someone else might do.

Actually I know several people who own the Sony SA-WM40 and feel that its a pretty good choice FOR THE MONEY and I've also heard that the Yamaha isnt as good.

You would probably be hard pressed to find a better sub than the Sony for $160. Lately its been difficult to find any of the Sony WM40's since they've been discontinued. If you cant find one they've been replaced by the WM500 for $199. So if your budget dictates that this is how much you can spend then I think the Sony is the better choice.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
To be MORE helpful, there is a thread dedicated to the Sony and modding it to get reasonable performance from it. There are no free rides. Perhaps, however, this is a cheap one that will suffice. The most important thing is a good driver and amp. If the box is cheap, that's easily fixable.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
There are a lot of users at hometheaterforum.com that really like the Sony sub - FOR THE PRICE. Not everyone has $1000 for a sub. In it's range, it is considered one of the 'best'.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i think the yamaha 305 which has dual 8" drivers for about $200 would be worthy of the $40 increase in price, but if you want to be safe and go for a sub that is well known and well reviewed to be good in music, the Energy s8.1 is a good sub at something like $225 which does end up adding a substantial amount of money on top of of the two subs you brought up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.