AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the best most powerful THX Ultra2 7ch amp?

I am currently looking at the Anthem P5 and P2 to make 7ch but was currious about the most powerful 7ch amps.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
The Aragon 2007 is 200W at 8 ohm. There are only 4 Ultra2 7 channel amps that I could find on the THX list. Aragon, Arcam, Lexicon, and Integra Research RDA..

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am still better off with the Anthem 5ch and 2ch amps since they are 325w per/ch. I was under the impression they were THX Ultra2 but that is the Anthem pre/pro. Wonder why the amps didint make the cut.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
1) Do you really NEED that much power? Do you know what volumes you will be listening at, and know you'll require the extra 2db of headroom?

2) Does it really have to be THX certified? If it isn't, it's probably because the manufacturer just didn't want to spend the money to have it inspected or felt like it needed the extra "features".

I looked at the Anthem P stuff and still decided I'd rather get a Gemstone Blue Diamond. Although B stock Parasound Halos are pretty down there too in price, with some nice specs. THX doesn't even factor into the equation for me, it just means they spent more on labels and less on parts.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well what about non THX certified 7ch amps?

http://www.psaudio.com/products/gcamc_overview.asp

The PS Audio GCA-MC Multichannel Amplifier seems pretty serious @ 500w/ch but its a digital amp. What's the difference between digital and analog amps and witch is better?

Is the Anthem Statement amps analog?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be pushing Paradigm Signature S8, C5, ADP's with this amp. I have heard the Anthem P5 on the Signatures and whoa.. I would hate to have less power because its was just so incredibly effortless.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"digital" amps is a term mostly used for class-d, or switching topology in the amp section.

Within class-d there are many ways to build an amp, all probably sounding different, or at least having their own (dis)advantages.

I took the class-d route a while ago and I'm very happy with it - just listen, don't worry about how it is delivered, just go out and audition the amps and go with what is the best for you.

Most class-d amps do have effortless dynamics and some have really low distortion in higher frequencies. Bad side, most are limited in bandwith (but the worth of wide bandwidth is another story)

I have an address in the US that will build UcD (universal class-d) based amps for you, to your specification (case, reserves in the power, quality of opamps, etc) - I'm running DIY UcD and am very happy. Contact me for the address, I can't post it here.

And no, i don't have interests in the US based company - I'm a firm believer of class-D and am converting everyone in my way - here I need text, those who listen convert themselves :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Something to be careful of if you're comparing power specifications is the number of channels driven. I believe the 325W figure for the Anthem is 1/2 channels driven - I think it falls to 180W or something like that with all channels driven (you'd need to check their product literature to be sure). The Arcam for example is listed at 150W but that's all channels driven, so their power capacities aren't as far apart as you might think by just looking at the quoted numbers.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfinley001
Something to be careful of if you're comparing power specifications is the number of channels driven. I believe the 325W figure for the Anthem is 1/2 channels driven - I think it falls to 180W or something like that with all channels driven (you'd need to check their product literature to be sure).
I think what you are saying is true for PAV series but for P series it is 325W all channels driven.

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/P...s/P_Specs.html

That being said I would like to shake hands with a guy who really needs and uses 325W at 8 ohms for surrounds except thebland :D

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgoose
I will be pushing Paradigm Signature S8, C5, ADP's with this amp. I have heard the Anthem P5 on the Signatures and whoa.. I would hate to have less power because its was just so incredibly effortless.
You realize that Anthem and Paradigm are sister companies owned by Sonic Fronteers and both are designed and manufactured in the same building in Canada? They are meant to work togther.

Ed

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Who cares about if it has THX Ultra2 ratings? When you can have a maximum continuous rating of 1000 watts into 8 ohms and 2000 watts into 4 ohms and 4000 watts into 2 ohms!

Just get a set of 7, Moon Audio "Rock" monoblocs......

"This fully balanced differential mono-block amplifier produces a high-current output signal to a maximum continuous rating of 1000 watts into 8 ohms and 2000 watts into 4 ohms, easily capable of driving virtually any loudspeaker. Using 32 bipolar output devices in conjunction with internal electronic component matching to exceptionally low tolerances, the ROCK pushes the boundaries of solid-state amplifier design. With a very strong emphasis on form and finish, this amplifier includes a customized 2 inch thick solid granite base, weighing in at over 120 lbs., and an anodized top cover."

http://www.simaudio.com/moonrock.htm

Now of course, there is the very small matter of them costing "only" just $29,995 a pair!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla
Who cares about if it has THX Ultra2 ratings? When you can have a maximum continuous rating of 1000 watts into 8 ohms and 2000 watts into 4 ohms and 4000 watts into 2 ohms!

Just get a set of 7, Moon Audio "Rock" monoblocs......

"This fully balanced differential mono-block amplifier produces a high-current output signal to a maximum continuous rating of 1000 watts into 8 ohms and 2000 watts into 4 ohms, easily capable of driving virtually any loudspeaker. Using 32 bipolar output devices in conjunction with internal electronic component matching to exceptionally low tolerances, the ROCK pushes the boundaries of solid-state amplifier design. With a very strong emphasis on form and finish, this amplifier includes a customized 2 inch thick solid granite base, weighing in at over 120 lbs., and an anodized top cover."

http://www.simaudio.com/moonrock.htm

Now of course, there is the very small matter of them costing "only" just $29,995 a pair!!!!
Ha ha. That sucker is HUGE! Can it be a coffee table too? :p

I'm sure that amp is great but some people have space limitations. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.