Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for reccomendations

I currently have a IF7200 and am getting sick of the noise level when watching a movie. I am actually very pleased with the picture but I am beginning to think it is time to move on (i cant make changes to my audio system based on the fact i wouldnt be able to hear it over the whine and fan....i love swapping equipement out).

I have heard that Runco leads in terms of silient operation, however I am wondering if there are cheaper alternatives.

Note:

1.I do not want to buy or build a hush box

2. lens shift flexabilty would be great (my IF needs to be mounted 12" from ceiling for no keystone.)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Can you provide more info?

What size and type of screen will you be driving with the PJ?

How much ambient light?

Some 7200's have a whine that if severe enough will be repaired under warranty. There are two fans, one blower, and a color wheel that can all develop a whine. The fans are cheap. The blower is part of the lamp assembly. The color wheel bearings cannot be replaced and require replacement of the whole optical engine.

If you have a properly functioning 7200, its noise volume is the same as the Marantz S2. It is quieter than the Sharp 10000. There are few DLP PJs that are significantly quieter than a properly functioning 7200. When the 7200 develops a whine (any PJ brand can do this, not just the 7200), it can be excessively loud and sounds similar to a carpenter cutting wood with a skill saw in your backyard.

I have read that the H77 is very quiet, but have not measured one. The Qualia is almost silent, but is likely a tad more money than you want to spend.

The ramifications of switching to another PJ include:

1. few DLPs are anywhere near as bright as the 7200 and they may not drive your current screen;

2. few DLPs have as great an offset as the 7200; most PJs (and virtually all of the ones with lens shift) will have to be mounted 10" LOWER than your 7200 is now;

3. the 7200 has a long throw lens; if you have mounted the 7200 towards the end of its zoom range (as far back from the screen as you can) you will probably need to mount a replacement closer to the screen; this might necessitate that you move your power and data lines.

I live nearby. If you would like, I will measure the noise volume for you. PM me. It is easier to get Infocus to agree to a warranty fix if you can tell them objectively how loud it is. Also, there an excellent factory authorized repair facility in L.A. that I can recommend to you, if your 7200 needs a repair.

Glenn

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenned
Can you provide more info?

What size and type of screen will you be driving with the PJ?

How much ambient light?

Some 7200's have a whine that if severe enough will be repaired under warranty. There are two fans, one blower, and a color wheel that can all develop a whine. The fans are cheap. The blower is part of the lamp assembly. The color wheel bearings cannot be replaced and require replacement of the whole optical engine.

If you have a properly functioning 7200, its noise volume is the same as the Marantz S2. It is quieter than the Sharp 10000. There are few DLP PJs that are significantly quieter than a properly functioning 7200. When the 7200 develops a whine (any PJ brand can do this, not just the 7200), it can be excessively loud and sounds similar to a carpenter cutting wood with a skill saw in your backyard.

I have read that the H77 is very quiet, but have not measured one. The Qualia is almost silent, but is likely a tad more money than you want to spend.

The ramifications of switching to another PJ include:

1. few DLPs are anywhere near as bright as the 7200 and they may not drive your current screen;

2. few DLPs have as great an offset as the 7200; most PJs (and virtually all of the ones with lens shift) will have to be mounted 10" LOWER than your 7200 is now;

3. the 7200 has a long throw lens; if you have mounted the 7200 towards the end of its zoom range (as far back from the screen as you can) you will probably need to mount a replacement closer to the screen; this might necessitate that you move your power and data lines.

I live nearby. If you would like, I will measure the noise volume for you. PM me. It is easier to get Infocus to agree to a warranty fix if you can tell them objectively how loud it is. Also, there an excellent factory authorized repair facility in L.A. that I can recommend to you, if your 7200 needs a repair.

Glenn
1) H77 has less output for sure but it aint bad, good news alot better blacklevels

2) not sure but at 110" wide it can be placed about 7" above the start of the screen using a motozed lensshift.

3) offset is about the same, also come from a infocus and one of the reasons i ordered a H77

was the throw.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with the original reply that a hushbox is probably your cheapest option. But, if that's something you just DON'T want to do, I can say that the Optoma h76 is a fantastic PJ, can be had on the cheap (much cheaper than the H77) and is ultra quiet. I've had mine for a couple months now and the picture is in the same range as the 7200 (although not nearly as bright) and you cannot hear this thing when it's on. I've had all components turned off, and still can't hear the PJ. So, if you want a quiet HD2 PJ on the cheap, this is probably your best option.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Another vote for Optoma! (and no hanging chad ;) )

I've gone from an Mt8 (7200 clone) to an Optoma H77 mainly for the reduction in noise. It has been a very succesful change over and I'm hearing sound in the below 20dB range that just used to be masked by the 7200.

I was a little concerned that the lower light output might mean less 'brightness' but the increased contrast of the H77 gives a picture that appears substantially brighter. I can have low level lights on in the room, or watch during the day in my less than light controlled room.

The blacks I'm seeing are also a huge improvement - with the 7200 when the screen went black I could still read by the reflected light (even using an ND2 filter)...now when it goes dark on-screen the lights really do go out. So much so that I've been caught out on a couple of occasions trying to walk around the room with a movie on - sudden black on screen now carries a risk of bumping into furniture!

The lens on the H77 has far fewer of the annoying quirks that meant I had to zoom the image and turn on overscan for the Mt8.

I'm in PALland so I do have a couple of issues with my H77 due to banding over interlaced component. I miss the excellent design of the Infocus menus and its speed of syncing to new inputs, and also I'm not getting the wonderful Infocus support for their projector designs with firmware updates etc. In every other respect though I would still say that this has been the best home cinema upgrade I've so far made.

The big mystery to me is why only Optoma seem to make a priority of silencing their projectors and why so many home cinema enthusiasts are prepared to put up with annoying noises from their machines?

Hope that this helps....I'd say from the sound of things it would be well worth you demoing a H77.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John P
Suggest you take gleenned's advise and get the IF7200 fixed. Many of the 7200's had problems with color wheel noise that Infocus can fix.
Even then its nowhere near the low output of a H77

Daniel.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Peer
The H77 is so quiet, I couldn't hear it over Tom Sullivan's refrigerator!
LOL. The sound from our SP 7200 has not been an issue, but my significant other was so distracted by the sound of the refridgerator in our theater that I was 'persuaded' to install an elaborate timer switch which allows us to turn off the fridge at the start of a movie - with the timer turning it back on in 2 hours.

htomei

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.