AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK basically I'm looking for peoples opinions on what hard drives are ultimately the quietest? Currently i have two in my HTPC, One is a 2tb WD green that i use just for storage and the other is an 80gb rapture use solely for running the OS, I'm actually thinking about replacing the rapture as i feel that is drive that is causing all the noise in my case. Does any one know what the quietest WD is? Blue, Black, or, Green? They all claim to be ultra quite but does on stand out more? Other then that i never run any other brands but would have no problem as long as they are quite.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Solid state drives are completely silent

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dam those are really cool and good call on solid state, This might have to be the way to go. Over all i think its a good investment since these usually last for a long time. Anyone actually use these in there HTPC?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 /forum/post/19534565

Not looking to pick on you, but do you realize you spelled "quiet" wrong twice, but spelled "quieter" correct twice

I see now, i guess i became a little to dependent on the browsers spell check.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
since all i really use the HTPC for is movies, music, and internet HDD speed is not an issue, I just want it to be silent. The 80gb rapture im using is one of the older generations and when its seeking its so loud i almost have to turn up the volume.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofronts /forum/post/19534467

.. .Anyone actually use these in there HTPC?

I use an 80 gig SSD for my OS/programs and have an 80 gig partition on a 1 tb drive for the OS backup.

I use Win 7 and all the storage, My Pics, My Docs, My Movies, My Music, Downloads, etc. has all been relocated to the balance of the 1 tb drive.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofronts /forum/post/19535096

interesting site, i may just go ahead with a small capacity WD Green since they are like $40 - $50 new.

SPCR is a great "supplemental" site to avsforum. Their members know a lot about silencing and they have a very enthusiastic modding community.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts