AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the in-laws just moved into a new house and they've designated me "tech guy" for the move. I've already setup whole house audio with Alexa as the smart home backbone and next up on the list is a golf simulator room, so that should be fun!

But right now I need some help with the basement home theater.

They've got a 90 something in flat panel and the house has built in wall speakers for L/R/C and built in ceiling speakers for the L/R surround. Also convinced them that they'll need a HSU Sub to really round out the sound.

THE PROBLEM

The MIL absolutely hates the the fact that she can't cover up the in wall speakers with posters. And I'm not too keen on how high the placement is. So she wants to buy a new set of tower speakers and center channel, so that we can disconnect the in wall speakers and cover them up.

Looking to find a set for under $1000 for all 3 so that I can have a little more budget on the golf room :).

Any recommendations?

She'll be replacing that table with a console after the center channel is chosen, so height is not that big of a concern.

Is it worth looking at the towers with built in atmos?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
What's the clearance between the floor and bottom of the flat panel? That would help determine the height limit of your center tower. For example the JBL Studio 590 is 49" tall while the Studio 580 is 42" tall. Or are you only considering horizontal centers? If the current in-wall speakers are of decent quality they could be repurposed as ceiling surrounds. Otherwise while shopping for the Hsu sub you could check out their HIW-1 in-wall/ceiling speaker as it is highly rated for the price.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
So the in-laws just moved into a new house and they've designated me "tech guy" for the move. I've already setup whole house audio with Alexa as the smart home backbone and next up on the list is a golf simulator room, so that should be fun!

They've got a 90 something in flat panel and the house has built in wall speakers for L/R/C and built in ceiling speakers for the L/R surround. Also convinced them that they'll need a HSU Sub to really round out the sound.

THE PROBLEM

The MIL absolutely hates the the fact that she can't cover up the in wall speakers with posters. And I'm not too keen on how high the placement is. So she wants to buy a new set of tower speakers and center channel, so that we can disconnect the in wall speakers and cover them up.

Looking to find a set for under $1000 for all 3 so that I can have a little more budget on the golf room :).

Any recommendations?

She'll be replacing that table with a console after the center channel is chosen, so height is not that big of a concern.

Does she not like the sound of wall speakers or the looks of them?

How big is the room and how far from the speakers does she sit? Is the set up designed for both HT and musicm

With 90 inch TV, and an HSU sub, $1000 for three speakers may not be enough.

Even with the new tower speakers, the current wall speakers can be used as front height speakers, if the AVR supports that configuration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

THE PROBLEM

Any recommendations?

Another idea:. Use a poster printed on an acoustically transparent cloth to create a horizontal poster to place on top of the wall speakers, if they look ugly to you MIL.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the clearance between the floor and bottom of the flat panel? That would help determine the height limit of your center tower. For example the JBL Studio 590 is 49" tall while the Studio 580 is 42" tall. Or are you only considering horizontal centers? If the current in-wall speakers are of decent quality they could be repurposed as ceiling surrounds. Otherwise while shopping for the Hsu sub you could check out their HIW-1 in-wall/ceiling speaker as it is highly rated for the price.
Sorry, should have specified. Yes, I'm looking for a horizontal center channel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does she not like the sound of wall speakers or the looks of them?

How big is the room and how far from the speakers does she sit? Is the set up designed for both HT and musicm

With 90 inch TV, and an HSU sub, $1000 for three speakers may not be enough.

Even with the new tower speakers, the current wall speakers can be used as front height speakers, if the AVR supports that configuration.

Oh man, I didn't think of that! That would be cool, but she really, really hates the look of the speakers. She doesn't care that much about the quality of the sound.

The setup is mostly for movies and tv. They seating is 12-15 ft away right now. The basement is a very large open basement. I don't know the exact measurements, but it's big.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another idea:. Use a poster printed on an acoustically transparent cloth to create a horizontal poster to place on top of the wall speakers, if they look ugly to you MIL.

A possibility, but it's going to be a hard sell.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
As long as the sound quality is adequate, then this (Artskin, above) is your go-to solution. Budget friendly solution vs an entirely new set of speakers.

I'm definitely in the same ballpark as your MIL. I hate the look of screens on the wall. Actual speakers look so much better (generally).

BTW, have you considered a can of spray paint that matches the wall color? Doesn't get any more cost-conscious than that! Try that first, as you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
convinced them that they'll need a HSU Sub to really round out the sound.

So she wants to buy a new set of tower speakers and center channel, so that we can disconnect the in wall speakers and cover them up.

Any recommendations?

Thumbs up for selling her on the Hsu sub!

I'd skip upfiring Atmos.

Show the attached photo to your MIL and ask if she approves of the aesthetics---it'd be the best bang for your buck, $800 shipped all in, sounds great for both music and HT.

Attachments

Reactions: Cypres0099

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Looking more closely at the current in-wall installation it seems a bit amateurish as there was no good reason to orient the center speaker horizontally. It would have been better balanced both visually and sonically to have LCR all in the same vertical orientation. At least the visual part would be handled by covering each with identically sized picture frames with custom printed acoustic artskin fabric.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
From what I understand, the MIL doesn't like the cheap-looking in-wall speakers - both the aesthetics and the sound. The best thing is to remove them and patch the wall as best you can.
The OP is looking for box speakers for the LCR. An HSU package would be the first that comes to mind at his budget, especially since he's familiar with the company.

Reactions: Cypres0099

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
From what I understand, the MIL doesn't like the cheap-looking in-wall speakers - both the aesthetics and the sound. ...
Actually, the OP said "She doesn't care that much about the quality of the sound." I suppose that could be taken two different ways. Either she doesn't like the quality of the sound or the quality of the sound is not much of an issue with her. Anyway, whichever meaning was intended options have been given to cover both. :)

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
From what I understand, the MIL doesn't like the cheap-looking in-wall speakers - both the aesthetics and the sound. The best thing is to remove them and patch the wall as best you can.
The OP is looking for box speakers for the LCR. An HSU package would be the first that comes to mind at his budget, especially since he's familiar with the company.

Depending on the wall texture, making the repair invisible will be difficult. This is one of the reasons I dislike in-wall speakers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I agree with all the comments that the speaker install is pretty amateurish and the home theater enthusiast in me wants to scrap them and setup something nice. But since she doesn't care that much about how her system sounds, I think I'll give the acoustic art a shot first and see if it passes muster.

Thanks, will let you guys know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts

THE PROBLEM

Any recommendations?

There is a thread on here on making AT movie posters that might work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts