AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got my ASUS M4A785-M installed windows all that fun stuff last night while watching tv.

woke up this morning fired the baby up to add a few more programs and heard a hissing type of sound from the pc. Listening to it sounds like its coming from the ram/cpu area. I have swapped out the ram, cpu and power supply and it is still making noise.

I am testing this just on top of my desk with no case, no motherboard, no fans. I do not hear this in any of my other computers. So is the only option left it is a bad capacitor or similar? Is it time to RMA the board back to the egg?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Never heard anything like that before. You might just rma which is a pain but at least you dont have a worse headache later.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12:39:34 PM : Me: I would like to rma an open box item, I do not understand how you can charge me to return a defective item that was "tested" to be working before it was sent out

12:40:40 PM : Newegg: I went ahead and waived the restocking fee off the RMA for you. The RMA number will be the same and you will get a updated email for that.

12:41:05 PM : Neweggr: Also, a second email will be sent to you within the next 24 hours with a prepaid UPS shipping label. Please print the label and tape it onto the outside of your returning package. This label does expire in 7 days, so please make sure you send this package asap or you may have to incur the return shipping cost.

12:41:24 PM : ME: Thank you, have a ncie day

Last open box item I ever order. I also talked to asus tech support and they said they get these sometimes, like a VRM or something is bad. Shouldn't have hoped to get a $80 board for $40

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
That's always been Newegg's policy, I bought a refurbed router that went bad didn't bother haggling over shipping. I just paid for the shipping and they sent me another one. So goes the savings on that purchase. Ever since they dropped FedEx I only buy from them if I have to these days.

That got me thinking and I started to buy from Amazon. The pricing is pretty much the same except you get free shipping and no tax! 30 day return no q's asked policy I can live with that. Even if the item costs a little more I will still buy from Amazon just because of the return policy with no haggling.

Oh I also learned my lessen on open box crap a looong time ago.

·
Registered
876 Posts
One thing you never mentioned was the cpu fan/heatsink. If you're running it with nothing else hooked up, that would be the first place to look. I can't think of anything else on the motherboard (other than video card fan) that would make any noise. I have 2 of these boards and they're great (and very quiet).

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
bighick newegg is awesome. if you complain they will do what you say knowing that you will return as a customer. I am by no means suggesting you should abuse that relationship but merely that their customer service is so great they would rather lose money now than not have you come back. They obviously dont want to have to pay for shipping it back either but thats how it goes in their business. I have never ever had an issue with something not working and having troubles getting it either replaced or my money back. I have bought probably $30,000 worth of stuff from them in the past 5 years. Now that I think about it thats a pretty sick addiction...

Most of their open item stuff is just people that bought the wrong thing and then returned it so a lot of the time from my own experience its in perfect condition and with all the wires manuals etc that they say may not be included. Even remotes most of the time. The only time its not included is when they forgot to send it back when they returned the rest of the order. But since their return policy is so good I am sure their are jackasses that would install a motherboard incorrectly and instead of trying to do an RMA would instead just try to ship it back pretending it was still working.

Could be bad luck. Could be shipping damage. Static...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have been fine paying to send it back if it was a new item, not an item that was "tested". I have been using the egg for years and am not a fan of tiger or amazons website/

As I said in my first post I changed out the cpu and unplugged my fan and it made noise, it was the motherboard and like I said asus has seen it before.

I think I will just stay away from the open box stuff (first time i have gotten one).

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I've bought a couple of open box motherboards from Newegg in the past. The first one came with everything the retail board had but the 2nd one was just the board and nothing else. The only other thing I really needed was the I/O shield but it would have ended up costing me more than what I saved on the deal. I ended up sending it back and paying the restocking fee and buying a new board instead. The result was that I ended up paying more than I would had I just bought the new board in the first place.

Buying an open box mobo is a crapshoot. You might get lucky and get everything with it or just get a barebones board. Open box deals really aren't that much of a deal when you consider that the new models may come with rebates and free shipping and a full warranty, not to mention a more generous exchange policy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts