AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious why many experienced HTPC builders seem to be currently recommending the Intel

GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 @ $120

with the Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz @$100


VS the Gigabyte AMD HTPC solution for $90 + $58
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128439
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103687


I am not biased to Intel or AMD and realize Intel has much larger mkt share but for the best bang for the $ I would have guessed I would see this combo discussed much more?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts
Not to start an Intel vs AMD war because there is almost never a winner


but......


the reason I like the Intel i3 + H55 motherboard combination is simple.


Less power consumption...

resulting in less heat...

resulting in less noise.


Also I like the fact that the onboard video of the i3 can handle 1080p with aplomb as well as bitstreaming DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio.


To me the i3 was born to be a HTPC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape /forum/post/19554856


Just curious why many experienced HTPC builders seem to be currently recommending the Intel

GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 @ $120

with the Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz @$100


VS the Gigabyte AMD HTPC solution for $90 + $58
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128439
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103687


I am not biased to Intel or AMD and realize Intel has much larger mkt share but for the best bang for the $ I would have guessed I would see this combo discussed much more?

Thanks…

Not really. Usually, the recommendation depends on the budget and requirements. Sometimes, the OP already has a shortlist of parts and he's just confirming whether it will work well.


Most of the i3 recommendations, people want HD audio bitstreaming without having to install a discrete video card. Given those requirements, the Intel Clarkdales are the only choice. There are also those who want Mini-ITX and before the Asus 880G M-ITX was released, Intel was the practical choice. There was a time when AMD-based M-ITX boards were usually quite a bit more expensive than the Intel solutions so any savings you might have made on the processor is eaten up by the motherboard cost.


Normally, I just point people towards renethx's recommended builds. They're pretty excellent and cover a wide range of hardware and price points. As his thread has shown, you could build HTPCs (and computers) of similar performance based on various platforms at around the same price point. It doesn't matter whether you prefer AMD, Intel, ATI or NVIDIA. In the end, you're looking at a relatively small price difference of around $10-30 for HTPCs with similar performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshDorhyke /forum/post/19555214


The AMD combo requires a video card to make them equal.


I agree with assassin regarding heat and noise. But I'd also be building a mini-ITX i3 system.


Peter

Oh yeah, and then there's that.


Which adds cost, even more heat and even more noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
I have the following one of each I have had less issues with the AMD setup. My Intel setup with an I3-530 gets random errors and media center shuts down and restarts frequently. I have yet to get it to be solid. The temps on the Intel are lower by 2 - 3C and it's in a smaller case. My Intel woes ay be memory related plugged in 1.65v ram vise the 1.5v recommended by the motherboard. I will play with it a little longer I want to ensure it is not driver related before moving on with spending the money on new ram.

There are many on the board that have the Intel setup and have had no problems. I am not sure what I would go with the next time, but overall price would be a big factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB /forum/post/19555247


I have the following one of each I have had less issues with the AMD setup. My Intel setup with an I3-530 gets random errors and media center shuts down and restarts frequently. I have yet to get it to be solid. The temps on the Intel are lower by 2 - 3C and it's in a smaller case. My Intel woes ay be memory related plugged in 1.65v ram vise the 1.5v recommended by the motherboard. I will play with it a little longer I want to ensure it is not driver related before moving on with spending the money on new ram.

There are many on the board that have the Intel setup and have had no problems. I am not sure what I would go with the next time, but overall price would be a big factor.

Huh, that's unfortunate.


I have built 6 Win7/i3 HTPCs for various people - usually with similar parts - and none have had any of these problems.


My HTPC is a C2Duo with a ATI 5450 card and I haven't had any issues either.


I think you should have gone with the manufacturer's recommendations and bought the correct RAM. Really the problem with your system may be the end user (or the installer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19555270


Huh, that's unfortunate.


I have built 6 Win7/i3 HTPCs for various people - usually with similar parts - and none have had any of these problems.


My HTPC is a C2Duo with a ATI 5450 card and I haven't had any issues either.


I think you should have gone with the manufacturer's recommendations and bought the correct RAM. Really the problem with your system may be the end user (or the installer).

I concur, I failed to do the proper research on the board and bought the memory Newegg was offering as a special deal. The unfortunate part of the whole thing is that this is the ones the wife is using. She's getting a little frustrated. I will hold her off a little longer though. The installer/end user finger is squarely pointed at me.

I will make it work though, I have patience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts
One reason all my builds use value memory instead of gaming/overclocking memory - they're usually more stable and they're almost always on the QVL. My parents' HTPC have a Core i3-530 with Kingston 4GB RAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G) and it's been pretty stable. The only time my mom calls me is when she can't open Netflix because it requires a Silverlight update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/19555387


One reason all my builds use value memory instead of gaming/overclocking memory - they're usually more stable and they're almost always on the QVL. My parents' HTPC have a Core i3-530 with Kingston 4GB RAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G) and it's been pretty stable. The only time my mom calls me is when she can't open Netflix because it requires a Silverlight update.

Interesting. I will have to try some value memory with my next build. I know there is no way that I will be able to tell the difference.


I never overclock anything, btw. No need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19555824


Interesting. I will have to try some value memory with my next build. I know there is no way that I will be able to tell the difference.


I never overclock anything, btw. No need to.

By the way, the value thing may be a misnomer. A lot of times, the JEDEC (standard volts & timing) Crucial and Kingston value kits I buy are a bit more expensive than, say, G.Skill or Corsair gaming memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19555245


Oh yeah, and then there's that.


Which adds cost, even more heat and even more noise.

Odd, you can get a motherboard as cheap and my mini-ITX system could only be quieter if I passively cooled instead of using a very slow 120mm fan. The same HDD will make the same noise no matter what case. So, I don't see where you think the cost, heat and noise come from.


There is maybe a little more in the case and power supply but it's not that much more.


Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Very educational for me. I will have to study the audio bitstream comments as I never had any issues with audio with the onboard solution. In other words that has apparently not been a requirement for me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/19555387


One reason all my builds use value memory instead of gaming/overclocking memory - they're usually more stable and they're almost always on the QVL. My parents' HTPC have a Core i3-530 with Kingston 4GB RAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G) and it's been pretty stable. The only time my mom calls me is when she can't open Netflix because it requires a Silverlight update.

Interesting, now that I look back at all my builds I agree with you. I used to buy value ram back in the day when prices were much higher. As the prices have come down I have been less selective about price and have gotten these gaming modules. I only had a few problems with the value ram, stick here stick there. I will order a couple of sticks and see if that settle things down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB /forum/post/19555247


My Intel woes ay be memory related plugged in 1.65v ram vise the 1.5v recommended by the motherboard.

You can't change the ram voltage to match in the BIOS settings? Have you booted from a USB or CD utility disk and run a memory test overnight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19556541


I concur.

Got it.


Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Yes voltage can be changed in the bios, and is, but I believe my issues are with the memory voltages and using the on chip video. I believe this is my issues with WMC and my error/resetting problem.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top