AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First time poster, so go easy on me if I make any mistakes.
I have already searched the threads on this subject, but all the relevant posts seem to be rather old, so I would like to ask for your learned advise, as I am not a HTPC expert.

I already own an AMD A6-3620 FM1 65W APU with Radeon HD 6530D Graphics and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. I have heard that this APU is a good choice for a HTPC, and I was wondering if you could recommend a FM1 Motherboard for my planned HTPC build. I would like it to be mATX size or smaller and have at least 2 PCIe slots and one PCI slot. I would also like to have HDMI output. If it could cost less than $100, that would be desirable as well if possible. Given these constraints, what do you think would be a good value choice, either current or past models? You can usually find past models as old stock or in New condition on ebay. Has any FM1 Motherboard shown itself over the last few years to be a solid, reliable value more so than the others? There will be no Gaming on this box, strictly HTPC.

BTW: I do not want to start another AMD vs Intel Flamathon, but I do realize that many of you think the Intel options are better choices than the Llano's. However, I already own this chip and while it may not be optimal, it certainly is a capable chip and I would like to see if I can make it work.

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise,

-Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mfusick,

Those are good brands for sure. Do you know any specific models I should consider?

Any one else have any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump. No one else in this huge Forum has any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I was using an Asus F1A55-M LX motherboard for my unRAID server. I believe Newegg currently has the same motherboard in the LE version for $70 with a $20 rebate and free shipping. No reason why it wouldn't work as a HTPC. It's got two PCI-e x16 slots, one PCI-e x1 slot, and one PCI slot and it's a micro-ATX form factor.

Ooops. I just checked and it only has a DVI output, but no HDMI. Check out the Newegg website and set up a search with your parameters and you should find what you need. ASRock is widely used in HTPCs here and many of the FM1 micro-ATX boards have HDMI outputs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Captain_Video. Appreciate your comments. I will check out the ASRock pieces as you suggest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts