AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mother designs specialty cards and she mentioned that she would like the ability when she is making cards to be able to record her hands and her work space while also being able to record good audio of her explaining what she is doing. So what kind of suggestions do you folks have for me. Cheaper is better but I don't want something that is junk.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have been in an extensive dialogue with someone who wanted to record demonstrations making cards with good audio using private messages on this site. Is that your mother? sunbeam247 is the monicker.

If not, I can dump the dialogue here.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041  /t/1467600/mothers-birthday-please-steer-me-in-the-right-direction#post_23187088

I have been in an extensive dialogue with someone who wanted to record demonstrations making cards with good audio using private messages on this site. Is that your mother? sunbeam247 is the monicker.

If not, I can dump the dialogue here.

I would like to read it. I may have a summer project coming up with my granddaughters where they will be "teaching" other children how to operate a camcorder. Your approach might be useful.

Bill

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
The dialogue (with pleasantries eliminated):

sunbeam247:

I run a little handmade card making site where I record my own card making tutorials. I'm a real novice when it comes to video making but I've done my best: I have to shoot my hands (making the card) so I have figured out how to mount a video overhead so I can do that. But I just don't seem to be able to find the right video camera... everything I've tried seems to be blurry or just not crisp enough.

The camera is mounted less than a meter away from my hands (above - it's about 80cm away actually) - I'm guessing that this is a major factor. From what I can tell I should be looking for a camera that's good with macro video... maybe?

I also need to be able to plug a mic in.

markr041

Your key requirement that limits your choices is the ability to plug in a microphone. I agree that this is important - you place the microphone where you get the best sound (near your mouth!), you place the camera where you get the video perspective you want (not near your mouth). That eliminates almost all cameras that shoot video - they do not have mic in nor the ability to control audio levels (you want to set the audio level manually too - no auto audio). You also want to be able to control the video manually - set the shutter and maybe even fix the focus (on your hands).

A good reasonably-priced choice is the Panasonic V720k camcorder. It has all of these features, and it will focus close (if macro mode is actually needed). It should take high-quality video (108060p).

One tip - make sure you use plenty of light - that will insure, crisp, colorful, noise-free video.

There may be other alternatives; this is definitely good and is at least a benchmark to check others.

sunbeam247

I'm a novice so please forgive me as maybe I'm missing something... but I'm quite surprised at the lack of camcorders that *don't* have mic inputs. I would have thought that would be a given. Having said that I have only learned I needed it because I watched a course called 'Video Boss' by Andy Jenkins. Have you heard of it?

I had a proud moment when you said I should use plenty of light! Hurray! At least that's one thing I'm doing right, ha ha! I've bought two very short 'PhotoSel' lamps. They're monsters even though they're short but boy are they bright! When I have them on, anyone would think an alien had landed looking in from outside!

So you mention setting the shutter. Has that got something to do with the clarity? I've only ever used point and shoot so I'm not sure what that means. Sounds interesting...

You also mention 'if macro mode is actually needed'.... so do you mean I don't need to shoot in macro mode if the camera is about 80cm away? Maybe I've totally misunderstood what macro mode is all about then!

markr041

You shoot in 'shutter priority' mode ('S'). You set the shutter to 1/60th. The reason is this gives smooth motion - at high shutter speeds you get jerky motion like fast freeze frames, at slow shutter speeds you get blur. Use 108060p (60 frames per second). Most camcorders can focus down to 80cm without macro mode, but minimum distance depends on the focal length - if you zoom in (telephoto end) the minimum distance gets larger. In any case, most cameras have macro mode, so if you need it (you can't focus at the distance and zoom you have set)you can use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.