AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a decent transfer, nothing spectacular. The first 4 minutes were OAR but once again hbo and their crop-o-vision needed to ruin it. IMDB lists it as being shot on 35mm film so I doubt it was open matte, i couldnt really tell, but during once scene where a line from a book is shown, the entire line was present (i compared it to the dvd). Any other thoughts on the movie or the presentation?

·
Registered
278 Posts
We enjoyed it. We didn't catch the opening credits, so we didn't see HBO do their switch-o-matic on the AR. I commented on this when I saw them do it with High Crimes the other night.

I guess I never saw them do it before because I usually miss the opening credits.

But hey, I got to see Grace (Debra Messing) in HD, even if it wasn't very much. :D

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It couldn't have been open matte. It is an anamorphic Panavision film. It had to be zoomed and cropped.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
It couldn't have been open matte. It is an anamorphic Panavision film. It had to be zoomed and cropped.
If it was zoomed, it looked pretty good for a zoom.

I watched "Hook" on ShoHD today, and that was an example of horrible zooming. (They showed in it 16:9) The picture was overly soft, and the film grain was blown up to nasty proportions. The DVD looked better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It wasn't OAR? This cracks me up. My wife and I sat down to watch this movie last night. When it started, I gleefully exclaimed, "It's OAR!!". My wife gave me the WTF look that many of you may also be familiar with. I then proceeded to put my custom-made black mattes on (sized for 2:35:1)to enhance my enjoyment on my 4X3 RPTV. I never knew they reverted to OAR so I ended up watching the movie cropped both horizontally AND vertically. Sometimes you can't win for trying.

Tim:eek:

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Gosh Tim, Didn't it bother you when people's tops of their heads were cut off. I saw that right away and had to get up, cursing, to remove my 2.35 OAR masks.

I thought the zoomed in image looked soft as many of the Showtime upconverts.

Why does HBO insist on spending all that money and effort to annoy their viewers?

If filling the screen is so damn important to them, why don't they crop the top and bottom of their 4:3 AR programs on HBO HD and then zoom in on those to fill the screen? Do we have a dual standard here? I certainly think so.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I thought it looked fine from what I saw of it. I watched untill about 10 minutes into it. The Transition to 16:9 was at a scene change, not like a smooth digital zoom. I'm thinking the transfer was done at 1080p for the full height (so they didn't include black bars in the transfer). That way the switch to 16:9 would still have 1080 lines of detail. It looked fine.

Correctly cropping to 16:9 takes off the sides, not the top, btw. You see people's head's cut off in theatres all the time. It seems you guys are actually trying to find more things to complain to HBO about.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
"I just send Elizabeth a thank you note for their current format and an encouragement not to go OAR."

Hey, that's fair, you are certainly entitled to have someone like HBO censor your movies for you. I'd rather they save the cost of doing that and use the money saved to bring us more movies in HDTV.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stovetop
I thought it looked fine from what I saw of it. I watched untill about 10 minutes into it. The Transition to 16:9 was at a scene change, not like a smooth digital zoom. I'm thinking the transfer was done at 1080p for the full height (so they didn't include black bars in the transfer). That way the switch to 16:9 would still have 1080 lines of detail. It looked fine.

Correctly cropping to 16:9 takes off the sides, not the top, btw. You see people's head's cut off in theatres all the time. It seems you guys are actually trying to find more things to complain to HBO about.
They complained about "heads being cropped" because they had added physical, external mattes to their TVs to cover the black bars when they thought the feature was OAR. When the feature converted to 16:9, their felt mattes caused heads to be cropped.

Figure it out now?

And it doesn't matter if they send it 1080i, if they zoom on the image, it magnifies film flaws and grain.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Here's my e-mail to Elizabeth:

Quote:
Dear Elizabeth,

I'm writing to express my intense displease with HBOs continued

insistence on cropping 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies to fit a 16x9 frame.

I dropped standard HBO years ago because I couldn't stand the 4x3 pan-

and-scanning of widescreen movies. I understand that your non-HD

audience doesn't like black bars, and that the "majority rules." So be

it. I voted by going elsewhere for my films.

I resubscribed to HBO once your HD channel became available because I

wanted to a) see HD movies, and b) see them in their original aspect

ratio (OAR), which I thought was going to be your policy. Apparently I

was wrong.

Your cropping policy makes no sense from a consumer standpoint. Okay,

the customers of your SD channel don't like black bars, so don't give

them any. But the customers of your HD channel PREFER OAR ALL THE

TIME! Have you ever done a survey of just your HD customers? You'd be

surprised how many people you are annoying with this illogical

practice. The early adopters who bought DVD because it was widescreen

are the same people who have gotten into high definition early.

They/we like to see movies UNALTERED.

Please reconsider this practice. If it continues I'll regrettably have

to cancel HBO (again) and just watch DVDs and HD-pay-per-view from

DirecTV. HBO does not understand it's HD audience at all. Please

survey THEM (don't assume that what your SD audience says applies to

your HD audience, because it doesn't).

For more information about this, please visit the AVS High Definition

Programming forum. It can be found here:

[link included]

Thank you.

Sincerely,

David Forbes

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
David,

Rational logic, OAR and HBO don't go together, unfortunately. HBO was very vocal upfront about doing *only* HD OAR movies when they launched, then changed their minds based on feedback from an informal HBO employee survey which concluded that black bars are bad. Customers? Why care what the customers think?!?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Alex,

When HBO called me years ago after I cancelled their SD channel, I told them I wanted widescreen presentations. The guy said he understood, but that their market research indicated their customers hated black bars. I took that to mean they actually researched this topic.

Hey, maybe not, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I wrote my displeasure. I expect nothing will happen as a result.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
The survey probably was worded something like this:

Management wants you opinion on formatting movies for our HDTV channel- Please select one only:

1. I think HBO should reformat each movie to fit the screen size of 16x9. I understand that Management will need to hire extra people to handle the increased work load and that many will need to train on new equipment to perform these new tasks, but that is OK because those additional skills pay more and the company will pay for your schooling on equipment and job skills you can take anywhere in this industry.

2. I think HBO should simply do straight transfers of movies that offer OAR from the film. It will be lower cost to the company and also will reduce the size of our transfer staff and this decision will result in layoffs right before Thanksgiving day this year.

Please select which policy you would like HBO management to implement.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Leaving aside the OAR issue, I thought this was a fairly high quality transfer. I thought color saturation and clarity were A- quality.

I had no advance of this movie whatsoever, and found it intense as well. I would recommend it pretty highly for both picture and dramatic quality.

Nick :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.