AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expected to see a good story given some of the reviews I read, but I thought it was a pretty lame story and script.

One review I read talked about a great surprise ending.

That reviewer must have seen a different film than I did.

The audience is told at the beginning that this film is based on actual events. Yea, right. And I've got monkeys in the kitchen cooking dinner.

It's probably worth the rental fee, so I won't go into any detail which might introduce spoilers.

Bottom line - don't waste your money on purchasing it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Believe it or not the basic premise of the movie is based on fact. There is at least one well-publicized book written in the 70s (I believe) that details the events. I'm sure there were great "artistic" licenses taken with the movie.

As a movie on its own merits, it's definitely not perfect & I believe will probably bore most people well before the end comes. But personally, I like this film a lot. It's certainly not an action flick or horror flick in any mainstream way... it's really more of a "mood" film and this is where I think it excels. The cinematography & music (with title song performed by Low) is fantastic.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The film is based on The Mothman Prophecies, by John Keel. Notice that Alexander Leek's last name is Keel spelled backwards? I liked the film. It was directed by Mark Pellington, who helmed Arlington Road, another paranoid film. I thought the transfer was poor, with excessive EE and too much noise (aka "grain") in the image. Supposedly an SE is in the works. I thought I read that John Keel himself was in the film somewhere. Does anyone know where? Btw, the director played the (cameo) role of the bartender.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I like the MP. Sure it's not going to go overboard because it's based in part off of true events. The Direction of this movie is what you want to look at. Gere and Linney do decent jobs IMO. I'll buy this but not immediately.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
it's based in part off of true events
It's a pretty big stretch to conclude that the movie account is true simply because the movie was based on a book which also made these claims. Both movies and books sometimes tell lies.

Here is another perspective (will be somewhat of a spoiler so see the movie before reading this)...
http://www.csicop.org/list/listarchive/msg00317.html

p.s. I very much enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a well crafted and suspenseful thriller. It held my attention all the way through to the closing credits.

Bob Wood

·
Registered
977 Posts
This film really gave me the creeps! I certainly hope for all our sakes that this story is more fact than fiction. Richard Gere delivers one of his better performances in recent years here.

Howie

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) "Wake up number 37" it wasn't the chemical factory it was the bridge, all becuuse the street light stopped working. Where were the other police men or women beside Laura Linneys character?

I went for the Gere-Linney team of leading actor/actress. Unlike my mother I think Richard Gere is a cool actor. He did a good job on the irish accent in the Jackal

movie, along with Bruce Willis and dressed Mathilda May last seen in movie "Lifeforce". :)

(edited to include the spiler tag - Larry Davis)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hob,

It's good etiquette to include the spoiler tag or a spoiler warning before you reveal important twists or developments in a film. You wouldn't want your surprise spoiled, right? Here's how to include the spoiler tag:

At the beginning of your spoiler, type "[ spoiler ] spoilers go here [ / spoiler ]" without the quotes or spaces. It will then look like this:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) spoilers go here
You may not see the spoiler tag on WebTV. You can also simply type a "SPOILER" warning before you get into details that folks shouldn't know until after they've seen the film. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
488 Posts
We watched this movie the other night and were pleasantly surprised. Having heard not so great things about when it came out we had a free rental coupon and said what the heck and gave it a try. It was actually suspenseful at times and when it was over we said that it was something we were really glad we saw. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
John Keel????

Is it the same John Keel UFO-flying saucer nut?

Jan

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hard to say if MP gave me the "willies" or the "creeps".

Not for very long, but great fun while the feeling lasted.

John Keel...the one and only - none other.

jdb

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just saw this film last night. I think it might have been a very good 30-minute Twilight Zone episode, but it seemed padded with every imaginable camera technique to expand it to feature length, as if the director was thinking, "If I keep the audience dizzy enough, they won't notice that there's no story here."

Worth a free rental, I suppose.

Jan

·
Registered
146 Posts
My verdict? Absolute rubbish.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
dark angel,

I'm curious to know. Do you mean the movie was rubbish? Or do you mean the story which the movie portrayed is rubbish?

Or both? :)

Bob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Both...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
dark angel,

I'm curious to know. Do you mean the movie was rubbish? Or do you mean the story which the movie portrayed is rubbish?

Or both? :)

Bob
I vote for both being rubbish...don't waste your time.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I liked it. It wasn't particularly great, but you have to remember that it's based on "true events" so they had to build the storyline around whatever "facts" they had to work with. I think they did a good job, and the surprise plot twist in the end was a damn good one. In fact, i think i'll put it in my sig for awhile!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) "Wake up #37"... Freaky!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.