AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Sanyo Z1, of course bought sight unseen because no one around here sells it. I have it hooked up to a Toshiba progressive scan DVD via component cables. It is definitely in progressive scan mode.

Overall its a decent unit, but I'm having a problem with edges of images looking blurry when the camera moves or the image moves on the screen.

For example, in LOTR when changing scenes, the new scene will often start with a large view of an open landscape (usually rocky) and the camera pans across very slowly. When you look at the details of the landscape when the camera moves, like your looking through a really old window that is not very flat.

Is this completely normal for this projector or is my Z1 just not calibrated very well? It sounds like from most threads I've read on this board that most people havn't experienced this with the Z1.

I've tried tweaking with the service menu items #13, 14, and 15 but with no improvement.

Is anyone here having the same trouble? Thanks for any replies you can give.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What are you projecting it onto, is it a flat surface? Toshibas are also prone to dropping out of progressive into video mode.

If you toshiba is deinterlancing properly, the motion artifacts are a limitation of the deinterlacing chip. It is not per-pixel motion adaptive, it is per-field which doesn't give the smoothest picture on movement, even slow pans. You notice this because of screen size, it is there on other monitors, televisions, etc. Unless you went to a projector with a better deinterlacer than your DVD (you would have to send an interlaced signal) you would continue to see this blurring of moving images.

I have thought of getting the Iscan ultra to clean DVD and sd feeds to the projector.

Don

·
Registered
222 Posts
Joe

You may want to look into your cables. What length are they and what kind of quality are they?

When I first set up my Z1 I was getting a picture that was slightly blurry or out of focus (not sharp). I switched to 30 ft Bluejeans Belden component cables and my problem was gone. The signal strength from DVD players differ, so cables play a significant role in your picture quality.

So I would try a shorter length of good quality cables to start with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don (Eyedoc) - I have been projecting onto a Parkland Plastic screen, which is a little textured. Its funny that you ask about this because just a couple of hours ago my wife and I tried draping a plain light beige bedsheet over the screen, which seemed to improve the motion artifacts somewhat. There is too much texture to the Parkland. So I think at least PART of the problem is the screen. I probably need to invest into something nicer.

Rob (Seabird) - I'm using a 25' component cable from Cobalt Cables. This this is very thick and well constructed. I wish I had a different monitor that accepted component that I could test it on. I don't THINK its the cable, as I have other Cobalt Cables for the subwoofer and speakers and they work very well. Its possible though. I cannot get a shorter length of cable without moving the DVD player to the projector :(

I played around with the projector more and watched Lilo and Stitch and around 20 minutes of Black Hawk Down. With Lilo and Stictch being animation, the picture was actually quite nice. Almost no artifacts. The picture on Black Hawk Down was also very nice, much less noticable artifacts.

So maybe some of the problem is the DVD source disks. My previous impresssions were taken from movies like Harry Potter and Star Wars and LOTR, all with tremendous amounts of computer generated special effects. I'll try to watch some other "normal" movies (those without alot of CGI.

On a side note, I went to a "high end" toy store today and saw a Runco 5000 and a Marantz VP-12S2. The wife and I just had to see some higher end stuff to see if we were expecting too much from the Z1. Those were beautiful machines. If I had $12,000 laying around I would have taken the Marantz.... but I don't. Oh well.

Thats to all who replied with their opinions. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have same problem with Panasonic AE-300. I visited service office and we compared my pj to another ae-300. The result was clear. There is some problem in my machine. They try to solve it next week.

JJ

·
Registered
427 Posts
So, after seeing the other machines, did the two of you decide that you ARE expecting too much from the Z1?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhegyi
Don (Eyedoc) - I have been projecting onto a Parkland Plastic screen, which is a little textured.
Joe,

Are you projecting onto the "bumpy" side of the parkland? (the side that is more shiny?) Most people recommend using the smooth, matte white side.

It's funny though, I just got my Sony HS10 Friday, and was experiencing the EXACT thing you describe in LOTR. Kind of a "wavey" effect during pans. Especially those containing the big boulders and stuff that had a "speckled" texture to them.

I'm projecting onto just a textured wall at the moment. I wonder if that's it? I actually assumed it was just my old Toshiba DVD player, and that the problem was caused from the de-interlacing/scaling process. Maybe it's more simple than that.

Anyway, if you get it figured out, I'll be curious to see what the solution is...

After I get a DVI cable, I plan to start using my HTPC with Theatertek software. If it's not the projection surface causing the problem, hopefully the HTPC will help.

--Scott

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris - We were probably expecting a little too much from the Z1, or maybe we just hoped it would look more like what we saw in the Marantz and Runco. I was really impressed with the Marantz VP-12S2. We now realize that at the $1,500 or even the $3,000 price point not to expect the same as what the Marantz will do at $12,000. But I think we can do better.

Scott - I'm projecting onto the bumpy side of the parkland, which is why I tried projecting onto a beige bedsheet, which was a little smoother. I wish I had a real screen to project onto, but thats not going to be in the works for a couple of weeks. It sounds like your HS-10 is doing the same thing.

Maybe I'll try to go out to Lowes and buy another sheet of Parkland and try the other side. I don't know if they are open today (Easter Sunday).

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
jhegyi: You could always go the HTPC route. It takes a little tweaking, but even a simple Dell like mine with a player like ZoomPlayer makes every movie look great. It isn't HD quality, but sometimes I swear it's close enough.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
You seem to almost have an setup like mine. make sure your SHIBA DVD player is SET to progressive and not intergrated. Theres usually an switch on the back of the dvd player says "I" or "P"

Make sure you click it to "P"

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hunter - Thanks for the idea about the HTPC, but I don't want to have to use external hardware to use my HT setup. I was hoping to get a quality picture with the hardware as is. I say this mostly for the benefits of other people who may watch. I could see my wifes eyes glare at me if I told here she had to use a computer to watch movies.

Shift - The DVD is definitely in progressive mode.

I bought another piece of Parkland yesterday and watched part of Contact. This time I projected onto the "smooth" side. Actually, I set it up so half of the screen was on the smooth side and half was projected onto the textured side. They looked nearly identical. It was difficult to find the line in the middle that separated the two sides. -sigh-

I'm going to return the Z1 today and upgrade to a 60HT. Hopefully this will improve things significantly. I'll post a report of how the 60HT does.

Thanks again to all who replied and offered advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.