AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Stick with a tube!

Brighter, less costly, easier to use and set up, longer lasting, etc,etc.

I noticed the motion problem right away after the purchase of my pj. I do not notice it so much now, maybe I try hard not to.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The 4805 has motion blur? Oh. Guess I was too busy playing the games to notice it last night in Halo and Gran Turismo 3.

As for tube. 34" and 40" max? Sorry. Too small and too heavy. And too expensive given the alternatives.

After playing Halo on a 77", it would just suck to have to go back to something so tiny as a tube tv.

Although you wouldn't have to play in the dark with tube. But FP screens don't have glare either, which I have no problem missing on my new display solution.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I noticed this blur you talk about on LCD and DLP sets whenever I went to the box stores, so I was a bit skeptical about the projector - but I have to say I barely notice any blur at all. I might if I looked real hard for it, but if I ever do catch a glimpse of it, it's barely distracting.

One thing I noticed though, a lot of people on this forum tend to spend so much time looking for imperfections, it cuts their enjoyment level down. Every technology will have it's downfalls, even CRT.

If you really are concerned about blur and are more sensitive to it, stick with the largest CRT tube set you can get. You'll be missing out on a hugely immersive experience, but the small image will be almost flawless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
swat, You no longer notice the blur in your projector right? I'm curious if you still notice blur in LCD and DLP sets in the store. Maybe its just the store setup? The only place I had first hand experience with projectors is in-store.

Personally, I find blur really distracting. First time I saw HD programming on projection, I was amazed by the picture quality. But then the first time I saw sports HD programming on projection, I couldn't help but focus on the blur.

I'm not really looking for the perfect projector(certainly not for under 2k) but I'm hoping there is one out there that has consistent(not necessarily perfect) performance even under heavy action. And if there is one out there, I'm really hoping its the panasonic PTL500 because its within my budget right now at costco. costco's generous return policy is a good thing(tm) too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll look for blur tonight while I am playing the Chronicles of Riddick on my Xbox. I can say that I've ever noticed it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really can not see the motion blur beyond what one would see on a regular TV or computer monitor. In fact, maybe the same as in real life with your own eye?

Maybe I am not sensitive to this blur?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dooshik
Thats because most people here want the best possible projector.
Yeah, and short of spending $30,000 for a perfect image, some imperfections will have to be accepted. We're not buying Ferarri's here, we're buying Honda Accords. The objective here is to find the best bang for the buck, and to find which weaknesses we can accept over others.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shaoyeh
swat, You no longer notice the blur in your projector right? I'm curious if you still notice blur in LCD and DLP sets in the store. Maybe its just the store setup? The only place I had first hand experience with projectors is in-store.

Personally, I find blur really distracting. First time I saw HD programming on projection, I was amazed by the picture quality. But then the first time I saw sports HD programming on projection, I couldn't help but focus on the blur.

I'm not really looking for the perfect projector(certainly not for under 2k) but I'm hoping there is one out there that has consistent(not necessarily perfect) performance even under heavy action. And if there is one out there, I'm really hoping its the panasonic PTL500 because its within my budget right now at costco. costco's generous return policy is a good thing(tm) too.
I don't notice the blur much, maybe when I'm playing say.. Burnout 3 where everything is moving very quickly, all of the time. I definitely see blur in LCD Monitors and LCD RPTV, I haven't seen an LCD projector for comparison. I haven't looked at the Samsung DLP's in a while since I've gotten my projector. But I can tell you that I'm definitely more suceptible to seeing motion blur on LCD displays.

I know for certain that CRT is almost perfect, so if you do see the blur then maybe digital FP isn't for you. You could go CRT FP, but there's tradebacks to that as well.

I say go for the PTL500, return policies are a very, very good thing. Good luck though, I hope you find a display that clicks with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.