Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I just setup my new projector - a Sharp 9000. It looks wonderful. Great. My wife and I sat down to watch a movie, and within a few minutes she starts to feel nauseous during pans. The crowd scene at the beginning of The Mark of Zorro' really makes her sick. We look at a other non-action DVDs and she gets the same feeling. The next night I put in 'The Matrix' and she doesn't seem to be bothered. But then I put in 'Crouching Tiger', and the feeling is back.

This is a terrible - I am really in the dog house now. She will not watch it again until I can do something to fix the problem. We've moved the old 50" RPTV back into place.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? I've got a 66" wide (not diagonal) screen that was just temporary until I decide on what size to use, so going smaller is not much of an option.

Will a iScan Pro remove it? I'm using an old Sony DVD player. will a better player remove/reduce the problem? What else can I try?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hyrax,

This has been discussed to some extent. Are you feeding your Sharp an interlaced or progressive scan signal from your DVD player? Someone else commented that "the problem only accurs when you feed an interlaced signal and use the "progressive mode" on the Sharp as 3D or Film (cinema)."

I think it is at least worth the time to investigate this on your own setup.

Please report your findings in this thread and I will try to offer some alternatives.

Good luck.

--Jerome

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
DRAMAMINE :D Seriously, she may just be one of the few DLP haters due to eyestrain, H/A, nausea which should get better after 2 weeks. Just ask her to watch it until nausea overwhelms her nightly for 2 wks and it'll improve. Sitting further back so her eyes don't dart around as much will help (smaller screen). Lower gain screen helps too as high gain makes it worst. If you don't want to change screen, slightly dark sunglasses will help too.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
Just ask her to watch it until nausea overwhelms her nightly for 2 wks and it'll improve.

Riiight..... :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I switched from regular to Veralux (sp?) glasses, things were "weird" and "swimmy" at first. However, the eye (brain) adapts to these things and now I can't induce the "swimmy" effect even if I want too. If you were continually upside down, your brain would get used to it and flip everything over in short order. Tell your wife that over time, she will get used to it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
you need to couple the PJ with a scaler (faroudja). about $4000. That will smooth out the image.

Eric

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.

Jerome - I am using an interlaced signal. Are you indicating that I should try the 2d progressive mode? It is a little soft, but I'll try it. I'll look into trying a progressive DVD player as well.

We're sitting 13' away from the 66" screen. The bottom of the screen is 41" off the bottom of the floor - so we're looking up a little bit. I'll try lowering the screen to see if the problem goes away.

My wife is not at all thrilled that I spent so much money on a home theater 'improvement'. I'm not sure I can convince her that she should just get used to it. That first night it really made her ill, and her opinion of me is rather low now.

Thanks again,

Tim

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eric -

I was wondering if a scaler would help. The Faroudja NRS is a bit out of my reach now, which is why I was asking about the iScan Pro.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Tim,

If you don't have a progressive scan DVD player (I have read comments that cut both ways about motion blur regarding the Sharp) you might want to consider a HTPC if you have a suitable computer on hand. With some software and a DVD-ROM drive you can turn a PC into a great scaler/DVD player and use the RGB input on the Sharp. If you are interested in trying the PC route but lack the know how let me know and I will help get you pointed in the right direction.

I don't know a lot about the Sharp's internal video processing. I did demo one about a month or so ago and noticed the motion blur artifacts. The dealer was running DVDs from a Sony progressive scan player in interlaced mode.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Tim,

Don't tell me your wife is seeing DLP motion artifacts. I thought only me and a few friends are capable of seeing such awful things...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I think it is an issue with the internal scaler of the TI more than anything or you could simply have a defective unit.

The 9000 fed with the NRS creates an awesom image.

41" might be a little high, but 13' back from a 66" wide screen is not very close at all.

Good luck,

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Hi Tim,

Don't tell me your wife is seeing DLP motion artifacts. I thought only me and a few friends are capable of seeing such awful things...

regards,

Li On
Thanks to you, I see them constantly (on my friends LT150) and they really are distracting. An expensive scaler will not help here in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Pultzar,

Sorry about that! Now I really want to solve your AE100 vertical banding problem! I've been watching many movies lately. Honestly, the vertical banding on my AE100 is really NOT that distracting. Sure, I see the banding if I stop looking the real movie image and try hard to pick up the banding only. But overall, it's really not much a problem for me now.

We should talk more the issue in the other forum. Sorry for the off topic.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hyrax,

As a CRT owner (and about-to-be DLP convert), I have an urgent suggestion that won't cost you a cent to try... lower the lumens (brightness) of your projector! Unsure about the Sharp... but can usually be done through projector settings, a lens filter, or a gray screen.

My wife & I have been testing DLP's for 6 months now... and while everyone seems to think brighter is better, they're not when it comes to artifacts & motion nausea. Remember theaters are only ~15ft-lamberts... and you're probably driving your small screen at least 2-3 times that (haven't taken the time to calc).

We watched a Sharp on an 8' white (not Grayhawk or Firehawk) screen with the arena scene from Gladiator... and both immediately felt sick. We watched the same scene on an 11' gray wall (should be worse motion sickness with the larger size), and didn't feel uncomfortable.

It's worth a try - before spending $4,000 on equipment that may or may not help. All I know, from our experiences in various showrooms, is that if we were watching the Sharp on a small 66" white screen, we'd both feel sick too.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Personally it takes me only 30 seconds to know I'm watching a DLP projector. My aching frontal lobes let me know right away. Then all that's left to do is look at the projector and see which DLP it is. It happened in an HT store last week. 30 seconds - headache. Looked at the projector, and lo and behold, it was the Sharp 9000.

·
Registered
53 Posts
LiOn/HTCrazy/others...

Would you guys who experience the so-called motion artifacts (or whatever it's called) elaborate a bit what it really is?

I use a DLP fed by HTPC, and only noticing some 'crawlies' on bright scenes... usually watch 2 movies back to back, no headaches whatsoever. But what is 'motion artifact' as I'm really intriqued?

Enlighten me, please.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Motion artifact here is referring to the fact that some people are really sensitive to the flashing images of DLP. This is how DLP creates a color image by spinning a color wheel and sequentially flashing color images on screen (R, G, B, and on some PJ White). Together it makes the colors you see on the screen. A minor subset of this artifact is also called "rainbows" where you would see a trail of colors (looks like a streak of rainbow) following high action, high contrast object especially if you dart or shake your eyes. Your brain usually gets used to it over time just like motion sickness on an airplane or ship. A bright image makes it worst due to enhancing the rainbows and motion blur effects. A dimmer image (gray screen, neutral density filter, sunglasses) lessen the effect. Same goes for sitting further back or smaller image (less darting of eyes to follow the action).

Motion artifact of DLP can also refer to the dithering or blurring around high action images in sport programs where the color wheel can't keep up with the high action. You can have similar problems with LCD PJ and computer monitor with slower refresh rates (smearing of images on high action scenes). This is what I believe Li On has been complaining from day 1 after seeing LT150.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Huey,

IMO you're wrong. DLP motion artifacts (aka motion dithering and crosshatching pattern) has nothing to do with DLP another common artifact - rainbow effect. And I don't see DLP rainbow, not even on the LT150.

Enough was talked about the DLP motion artifacts in the forum. Do a search and one will find tons of my and others posts on the issue. My advice, if a current DLP user has no idea of such issue, don't work on it!

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hyrax,

Bottom line is: with the Sharp you need a Faroudja NRS or a HTPC. The HTPC you can find on the forum from about $1200-2000. It works tremendously but requires many hours of "tweaking" and occasional you get the PC freezing or locking up. The Marantz has a built in processor so the motion artifacts are nil. I, like your wife, simply cannot watch the Sharp. I haven't personally viewed it with a processor coupled to it, but have heard it looks great. I've seen the Faroudja online as low as $3000, but it's still a chuck-o-change. A new DVD will likely not improve the problem.

Hope this helps,

Eric

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow -

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try lowering the lumens. Right now there are probably over 35 Ft Lamberts (I don't know the gain of my DIY screen, so I'm assuming 1.1) with my current setup. I assume the easiest way to test this theory is to turn on a light in the room while we watch.

I'll try move my computer into the room and see what it does. to do this, I need some software for playing DVDs. Is there any good freeware? I assume that my GeForce3 Ti200 has enough 'juice' for the job. I'm using WindowsXP Pro. I'll head over to the HTPC forum and try to get a clue.

A number of you seem to be telling me that it is a problem with either Sharp's DLP or with DLP's in general. The implication is that if I were to buy a LCD (Sony VW-11HT for example), we would not have the problem. I'm not sure that this is actually true, but will test the theory by going to see the Sony in action. I'd decided not to get a LCD projector because of the black level - hope that wasn't a mistake.

What I'm thinking is happening is something is triggering her 'Front Row' syndrome. Perhaps it is the internal scaler, perhaps it is the brighness, perhaps it is the height of the screen, and perhaps it something to do with DLP motion artifacts. The only thing I can do about DLP problems is get rid of the projector, so I'll have to assume that the problem is fixable in other ways.

Thanks again.

Tim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.