AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some annoying motion blur issues with my Samsung LN40B530 lately; from normal motion blur all the way to dimming/flickering highlights on the objects in motion.

So I switched my HDMI1 (STB) and Component (DVD) inputs both to Game, turned on game mode, and calibrated the settings to get a more vibrant picture. I cut the sharpness down to 10, and turned off Dynamic contrast as well as Edge Enhancement.

The dimming/flickering highlights are virtually gone, motion blur is only slightly evident on very fast & highly detailed objects or objects with text. No evident smearing or ghosting and absolutely no artifacting.

I'm very pleased. My question though; is it alright to use game mode constantly? Will it damage the set or lessen the life of t?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Because game mode removes some image processing, theoritically it'll lessen the burden of your TV

So you can even expect longer lifespan in trade of slightly dropping image quality (theory, though).

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino /forum/post/18157683

I have been having some annoying motion blur issues with my Samsung LN40B530 lately; from normal motion blur all the way to dimming/flickering highlights on the objects in motion.

So I switched my HDMI1 (STB) and Component (DVD) inputs both to Game, turned on game mode, and calibrated the settings to get a more vibrant picture. I cut the sharpness down to 10, and turned off Dynamic contrast as well as Edge Enhancement.

The dimming/flickering highlights are virtually gone, motion blur is only slightly evident on very fast & highly detailed objects or objects with text. No evident smearing or ghosting and absolutely no artifacting.

I'm very pleased. My question though; is it alright to use game mode constantly? Will it damage the set or lessen the life of t?

can i have some of what your smoking?

really though what material are you using to determine that game mode is reducing motion blur? cable TV? Blu ray? Games? etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c35 /forum/post/18158631

Because game mode removes some image processing, theoritically it'll lessen the burden of your TV

So you can even expect longer lifespan in trade of slightly dropping image quality (theory, though).

game mode will not extend or shorten the lifespan of the TV, in many TV's it does very little but remove some video pre-processing and in the B series samsungs that is all it does. perhaps this might make the mainboard run a little bit cooler but not enough to matter as long as the TV is designed properly but hey its samsung they are known for putting the wrong rating capacitors in the TV's power supply boards so who knows

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c35 /forum/post/18158631

I really have not noticed a difference in image quality with it on. The biggest difference I saw though was when i turned dynamic contrast/EE off and dropped the sharpness down. I'm a photographer, so I really enjoy a tack sharp image with edge to edge detail, so dropping all the processing and sharpness took alot of getting used to. But perfomance is much better, so I'm pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18158811

really though what material are you using to determine that game mode is reducing motion blur? cable TV? Blu ray? Games? etc.

DVD via component

Game console via Component

HD STB via HDMI (Broadcast HD @ native res.)

I unfortunately do not have a Blu-Ray player yet. I believe that will be the true test in this set's performance level.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
yeah depending on where your getting your HDTV from none of the sources you listed will really do the TV justice

you will be blown away by blu-ray if for example all you have currently is cable HDTV (sucks really bad)

if you have FiOS or DirecTV their quality is pretty good but blu-ray is still much better

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have comcast (xfinity, i believe). Unfortunately FiOS isn't available in my area.

So really any motion blur/judder I am experiencing is probably due to poor (or less than optimal) signal quality?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18157987

that has to be some type of VA Panel, which are bad for Motion ad for gaming period.

You need a 10-bit IPS panel. Thats what Apple uses in its $1,000 Cinema Displays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IRFtqfKtlw

Yes this panel is an CMO - MVA panel. I took your advice and looked into IPS panels. I am going to exchange this set for a LG 42LH40 120hz set. 10 bit S-IPS panel!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino /forum/post/18163942

Yes this panel is an CMO - MVA panel. I took your advice and looked into IPS panels. I am going to exchange this set for a LG 42LH40 120hz set. 10 bit S-IPS panel!

Let us know how it turns out.

I have a CMO MVA Panel on my Sammy now, happy with deep blacks and contrast whites and rich vibrant colors, But Motion sucks-view angles are poor- and Gaming lag is ok but could be better, ok for everything except FPS.

heres a hyper detailed review of the 32LH40 which I think also has S-IPS panel.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...eview-1395.htm

can't understand why that LG S-IPS panel gets such a poor review and hyper detailed.

and the $400 MVA Samsung gets such a great review. Down to measuring the true cd/m2 peak brightness, not just repeating the Specs handed to them like CNET does.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Review-995.htm

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino /forum/post/18160865

I currently have comcast (xfinity, i believe). Unfortunately FiOS isn't available in my area.

So really any motion blur/judder I am experiencing is probably due to poor (or less than optimal) signal quality?

yeah i have comcast as well, it blows compared to other services out there.

the picture quality on HD channels varies from good to ok to pretty much widescreen SDTV depending on the channel your watching

how do i know? easy i have 2 TV's in my room a 19" LCD PC monitor with a TV adapter and my 37S1

both are connected to they very same HD comcast box so i can sit here and watch HD on my 37" and SD via the composite out on my 19" and quite a few channels look just the same on the 19" just smaller and that actually tends to make them look better due to making it harder to see the macro blocking from too high of compression on the channel, other channels look great on the 37"

it also exemplifies LCD's drawback of showing too much detail because these same channels that look pretty bad on my 37" 1080p LCD look decent on our 50" 720p plasma in the living room because plasma overall has that effect on images. its hard to explain but it can be sharp when it needs to be but its less accurate enough to make anything look half way decent sort of like CRT's do

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino /forum/post/18163942

Yes. Almost certainly if you are having "Motion blur" issues while watching Cable TV, its your cable source, not your TV that has the issue. I have the earlier version of your TV (LN40A530) and my tv doesn't really have any problem with motion blur on DVD (unless the DVD is crappy quality, or super compressed like many single layer DVD's) and zero blur with Blu Ray. However with HD cable, I get tons of blur. This seems to be mostly attributed to stations that upscale 720p images or deinterlaces 1080i material.

I suggest you try a good quality DVD movie and see if you get any blur. Make sure it is on DVD9 (dual layer) to be sure they use less compression.

Also, I don't have my tv in game mode. I did however turn the sharpness down to 0, turned off all image enhancing features except Dynamic Contrast (which is on Low) and Black Adjust (also on Low) and my tv looks great. Especially with Blu!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NuSoard;

do you have an issue with dimming or pulsating highlights when experiencing the motion blur from HD cable you mentioned? IE any whites or bright colors completely dim and ALL detail is lost?

Thast really why I am returning this set, other than the fact that i got the short end of the stick in the panel lottery. I am not willing to press my luck again and get an even worse CMO panel. I have lost alot of respect for Samsung because of this practice and probably will never buy any of their products again...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
NuSound...,

Do you get motion blur from your cable company digital tuner when receiving 720p content from ABC, FOX, or ESPN HD and outputing it to your TV also as 720p to eliminate any upscaling an interlacing being done in the cable STB?

Egas...,

I also do not understand why game mode reduces your motion blur. Game mode's objective is to reduce lag and does this by disabling processing being done in the TV such as frame interpolation, the quality of upscaling processing and of quality of other video processsing functions such as de-interlacing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18166262

NuSound...,

Egas...,

I also do not understand why game mode reduces your motion blur. Game mode's objective is to reduce lag and does this by disabling processing being done in the TV such as frame interpolation, the quality of upscaling processing and of quality of other video processsing functions such as de-interlacing.

Well i thought it reduced the blur (placebo effect), but after a closer inspection, the blur was still there, as with the flickering. I am just chalking it all up to the horrible quality of the CMO panel i so unluckily ended up with...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18164539

Let us know how it turns out.

can't understand why that LG S-IPS panel gets such a poor review and hyper detailed.

and the $400 MVA Samsung gets such a great review. Down to measuring the true cd/m2 peak brightness, not just repeating the Specs handed to them like CNET does.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Review-995.htm

I swapped out the LN40B530 for the 42LH40 on saturday and I couldn't be any happier.

The motion performance is out of this world and it is light years better than the Samsung. I haven't seen an artifact yet, and I actually have to look hard to find any motion blur at all. Judder is at a minimum as well, i've only seen it on a few ultra slow motion pans, and IMO it doesn't take away from the viewing experience.

Picture quality is top notch. The image is ultra sharp on SD DVD, HD Cable, and Wii (which acutally looks like it is on a CRT, no jagged textures!). The black and white performance, i believe, is better than the Samsung. The blacks are just as black, and whites are just as bright, but the LG does not suffer from black crush nearly as much as the Samsung did. Details in the black are much easier to see. Color reproduction seems to be on par as well with greens, reds, blues and yellows all looking natural and not overly saturated. Also, the sound performance is much better, with deeper bass and clearer mids and treble.

I too dont understand how TelevisionInfo gave it such a low score and praised the Samsung. They must have managed to get an S panel

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18166262

NuSound...,

Do you get motion blur from your cable company digital tuner when receiving 720p content from ABC, FOX, or ESPN HD and outputing it to your TV also as 720p to eliminate any upscaling an interlacing being done in the cable STB?

I have the STB ouputting the signal at its broadcast resolution. My TV should be the only thing doing any upscaling or deinterlacing. However I did recently enable the STB's upscaling feature, which was horrid and not only increased the number of artifacts apparent on the screen, it completely blew the Aspect Ratio all to hell. I had to disable it in order to get the Aspect Ratio back to rights and when I did that, the PQ improved, so I will never be using the STB's upscaling features.

My PS3 is another matter entirely. Upscales DVD's quite nicely.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino /forum/post/18182268

I swapped out the LN40B530 for the 42LH40 on saturday and I couldn't be any happier.

The motion performance is out of this world and it is light years better than the Samsung.

Interesting as most people will say that Samsung has LG beat hands down when it comes to motion technologies.

In fact if the LH90 had better motion handling then I think it would be the TV of choice for most people

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.