AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been reading here for a while now, and these forums have helped me solve many of the issues that have popped up with the HTPC I'm building. I'm stuck on this blurring / trails / ghost issue. I have done a bunch of searching on this issue, but to no avail. Below is a list of the components in my rig. The components marked with an asterisk are the components I reused from my old rig.

Now, to the heart of the issue. I'm recording standard definition tv (cable). The cable run directly to my tv does not have these trails (live tv). Recorded tv and live tv through the VMC have the trails. The videos that VMC give for calibrating the tv also do not have the trails, so I have to conclude that the problem lies with my tuner card. The strange thing is that before I switched from my ATI x850 (using inbox drivers, no CCC {Catalyst Control Center?} installed) to the Asus EAH4850 (I installed the drivers from the CD, so CCC is now on my PC), I didn't notice this issue.

I've read somewhere on these forums that there is some sort of conflict between the Avermedia m780 and CCC, but this was just in passing and had no solution. I'm tempted to uninstall CCC and do an INF install of the drivers to see if it will help, but I'd rather have CCC working on my PC. Can someone, please, help me?

TV: Samsung LN46A550

Motherboard: a-bit IP35 Pro

CPU: Intel E7200

RAM: Crucial DDR2 PC6400 - 4GB (4x1GB)

Video Card: Asus EAH4850

*HD1 (OS): WD 250GB SATA(2?)

HD2 (Storage): Seagate 750GB SATA2

*Case: Antec P180

*PS: PC Power & Cooling (500W?)

Optical Drive: LG GGC-H20L SATA

Tuner: AVerMedia m780 pci-e combo

IR receiver: AVerMedia m780 pci-e combo

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Your description is a little vague, but it could be improper deinterlacing. If the codec used for playback is blending interlaced frames instead of properly deinterlacing them, you will see blurry artifacts with motion, like this .

Your calibration videos may not be interlaced, which is why you wouldn't see these problems with them.

Also, installation of new drivers could have changed some options with respect to hardware deinterlacing that are causing the problem.

Sorry, I don't use VMC, so I can't give you more specifics, but if this is the problem, the solution is to make sure your playback software or hardware is set to deinterlace using motion adaptive deinterlacing (sometimes called smart or adaptive deinterlacing), or at a minimum, bob deinterlacing (sometimes called video deinterlacing, but beware you will lose quite a bit of detail with this one).

Be sure to check the settings on Catalyst control center in case hardware deinterlacing is the culprit; I vaguely recall that it has various deinterlacing methods you can choose from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check this when I get home tonight. To better describe the problem: Have you seen Chronicles of Riddick? It's like the lord marshal ghost movement in reverse (the ghost on my screen follows the person instead). The trail isn't very long, but it makes anything that moves blurry. Not sure if the examples in the link you gave totally match the ghosts I'm seeing, but I will look closer later tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CCC is set to vector adaptive deinterlacing. I tried motion adaptive deinterlacing, but it didn't help. The deinterlacing setting control is on a slider. From left to right: weave, bob, adaptive, motion adaptive, and vector adaptive.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
could just be a weak analog signal

I got rid of my aver combo card for the ATI 650 and Haupp 1800.

Both have less ghosting than the Aver card, but I still have some, most likely because my analog signal is terrible. Luckily turning down the brightness on my display makes the ghosting tolerable.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It is likely just the artifacts of the temporal denoise done by your tuner card. There may or may not be a way to turn this off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've upgraded everything during this time (mobo, vid card, OS, etc.) except for my tuner card (PVR-500), so I'm pretty sure this is a tuner card issue.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logijt /forum/post/14170236

The deinterlacing setting control is on a slider. From left to right: weave, bob, adaptive, motion adaptive, and vector adaptive.

Have you tried auto or bob?

Also, maybe you can try playing back the files with a regular media player and codec to see whether deinterlacing is really the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14174039

Have you tried auto or bob?

Also, maybe you can try playing back the files with a regular media player and codec to see whether deinterlacing is really the issue.

Good idea, I'll try media player when I get home tonight. I tried uninstalling the CCC this morning. This did not help, so I will reinstall it.

I'm also going to try a blu ray movie out on my rig for the first time tonight. I rented Rambo. I heard it was ultra-violent

EDIT: I did try auto by default (auto showed the slider at vector adaptive).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried WMP. The problem still occured. I'm gonna try setting the clear QAM up to see if it's happening on the atsc tuner as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same tuner card with the same problem, although I'm running an nVidia video card. I was able to make the problem less noticeable by properly adjusting the brightness and contrast of the TV signal using the MCE Video Settings utility.

The problem has nothing to do with deinterlacing. The effect is telltale absurdly overdone temporal smoothing. There's also too much spatial smoothing, but that doesn't cause ghosting.

Boy, do I ever miss my dead nVidia DualTV. Wish I had a fix for the M780.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What model Nvidia card do you have?

Do you have the problem with both video and film based programs?

Do you have the problem with both NTSC(analog) and ATSC(digital) programs?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/14225146

What model Nvidia card do you have?

8800GT 512MB

Quote:
Do you have the problem with both video and film based programs?

Do you have the problem with both NTSC(analog) and ATSC(digital) programs?

I only have the problem on the analog inputs of the tuner card, and that goes for both regular TV programs originally taped in 29.97fps interlaced video, and 24fps telecined film content on HBO and the like. I can watch any 24fps film or 29.97fps video from my DVDs just fine. I can watch iVTC'ed DVD transcodes just fine. There's really no question that the problem is in the Aver tuner driver, and it's an overaggressive temporal smoothing setting. The only question is how to change that setting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmm... has anyone reported this to avermedia? i'll call support on monday and see if i can get anywhere. funny thing is that i live less than 10 miles away from their US office.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Stacey,

Hopefully you are correct that it is caused by the driver and nt by the analog MPEG2 encoder chip on the tuner card.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts