AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone get sick playing FPS games on large projection TV's? I've got a 57" widescreen and playing games like Halo, GR, and the recent Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo make me dizzy- real dizzy. :)

I'm fine with FPS games on my computer monitor, they're my favorite type of game. But on the big TV, forget it. This kinda sucks too because the XBOX ROCKS on huge HDTV's.

Other games are fine- DOA3, NHL, NFL, even 3rd person games like Splinter Cell are OK. But break out the barf bag for FPS games. I guess I'll have to get a smaller TV to use just for those games. :)

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have had two guests have the same symptoms while we were playing Halo multi-player. One of them was just watching.

When this has happened to you...

How close do you sit to your screen?

Do you play in the dark?

·
Registered
980 Posts
It only happens if Ive been playing for more than 10-12 hours straight.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DooDoo
You'll probably have a lot more problems than motion sickness if you play for 10-12 hours straight :D . I have yet to get motion sickness from any of my games, FPS or otherwise, and I'm playing on a FP with a 110" screen. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Low refresh rates can give people really nasty headaches depending on what your looking at. Computer moniters typically have a much higher refresh rate than TV's.

Also I think textures in games is another culprit. Games that feature big HUGE blury/semi blury textures.

eg: take a native 64x64 texture and stretch it to 512x512

At one time during my FPS craze I became quite involved with worldcraft since quake and lasted a couple years into half life. Stretching out textures is a neat trick in reducing polycount, but at the cost of reducing a textures quality. Doubling the textures size wasn't too bad, but anything beyond that would start to look bad. I learned this trick when trying to do large outdoor areas since you had to be completely aware of your polycount to keep the games frame rate up.

Also by stretching textures you can make things "look" to be far far away but are actually close. Great trick to use for backgrounds, such as a mountain range or city-scape.

Of course since PC's are a lot more powerful a lot of these tricks are starting to go away... kinda sucks IMHO since it would keep level designers on their toes.

Anyways for me its Everquest and Turok.

Every time I start playing EQ again after I stopped for several months, I will get a really nasty headache the first day, and sometimes the second. But after several helpings of EQ the headaches will subside and vanish all together, allowing all day/night EQ marathons instead of 3 hours of play and off to bed I go due to my head pounding.

Turok is another story. If I play any of the turoks, within 30 minutes I feel like I have a horrible, horrible hangover with all the symptoms. Just thinking about the textures in the game gives me a headache.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fuzz, you are not alone. I don't get motion sickness, but I certainly do on certain FPS games. First game to do that was Wolfenstein 3D on the Atari Jaguar and a 27" tv. I really enjoy FP shooters, but usually can only last 20 minutes before I start to feel very ill. The smaller screen definitely helps, but you lose the impact of the big screen. Just thinking of Turok on the N64 almost makes me sick. For me, it doesn't seem to matter how good or bad the graphics are, just the type of motion. I think it is the straffing, side to side stuff that does me in. But playing PGR on a 45"x80" screen is awesome and I don't get sick. Go figure.

Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fuzznug, I have the same problems. Car racing games do me in. I have a 36" Sony that sits in a nook over the fireplace. We place PS2 steering wheels right in front of the TV. After about five minutes my stomach starts getting queezy. If I don't look away from the TV, the headache will come. It's not fun!

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DooDoo
that's true however the frequent turning used to make me kinda dizzy. just stick in there and you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool- I'm not alone. :)

Get this, I'm now in the market for a nice 27 inch TV JUST for my favorite FPS games. I can't wait for people to ask why in the world I'd have a 27 inch sitting on a stand in the same room as a 57 inch HDTV. :)

I think it goes beyond FPS games too... I just tried out Agressive Inline and almost puked after 15 minutes.

It's a little dark in the room when I play. I think I'll try giving it a shot with overhead lights on. I normally have a lamp burning. Maybe more light would help. I normally don't get motion sickness at all and I've been playing FPS on a 19 inch computer monitor for years with no problem.

Oh well, another TV never hurt anyone. :)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
i love games like unreal championship on the pc(monitor) but when i projected it onto the big screen(run through the same pc) hoooooooweeeeee--- sick in seconds! no prob with any other types of games.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You guys have problems!

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I smoke a joint and then play a quick moving game on my 35" Sony I start feeling a little sick....normally it takes me a 57" and up to start feeling queezy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
maybe all you genetic mutants should petition the game companies to include airline barf bags so that you can enjoy real gaming on a console with big screen tv and not that bs on your 15" computer monitor.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think I make my wife sick when I start playing, but it doesn't have anything to do with the screen.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Its not the refresh rate. The reason you feel motion sickness is because your eyes see movement that is not corresponding to what your inner ear experiences (which helps in your balance). And, FPS are the worse, because they simulate "real life" and your brain really thinks you are moving. Ironically, the older you get the more likely you will experience motion sickness. Children who spin themselves silly just to feel dizzy, never feel sick. An 80 year old man who spins just a little will likely pass out. As we age, we become more sensitive to things like this.

To prevent it, just look away or pause the game every 15 min or so to allow your body to readjust. The larger TV screens make you feel more sick because your eyes are making larger movements to track the motion. If you sit farther away that would help.

This has been a posting of your friendly neighborhood video game physician.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
are we talking about the same thing here? i'm playing a fps(unreal championship) on a pc projected 110" across and the quick movement using a keyboard and a MOUSE (in my opinion the only controller worthy of a quality fps) produces movement that is just too darn quick! fps played via xbox,playstation,etc...isn't even in the same league. maybe i have my mouse setting too high for the projector to refresh with enough frames.

same settings played on a monitor and it is silky smooth, i can do super quick 360 degree turns while strafing, looking, jumping...basically moving like the tazmanian devil. try that on any console...can't do it(with the same speed---of course)

i do remember reading somewhere that projectors don't have as high (refresh) rates as computer monitors,i could be wrong. if anyone has more knowledge on this issue let me know.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I only get sick when I watch new people play because they tend to turn too fast or are too jerky or are always looking down at the ground or up at the sky.

When you learn to control the player and get him/her to turn at a normal speeds the motion sickness should go away. I have had no problems with Halo on my 106" screen except when playing in split screen and having my friend driving. I can't wait to hook up the PC and play some Unreal II on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.